PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pete Sheppard Eviscerated Borges on EEI [11/28 Edit: Borges Caught in Lie]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great read. I'd somehow forgotten about Bruce's fine BSM site.

The biggest outrage on D&C was the rare instance of Shepard's media on mediot criticism. They hate it when one of their own is held accountable. The fact that Borges still has a job covering the Pats illustrates how blatant the "no mediot criticism" rule is.

There is no creature walking the earth with a thinner skin than a sports media personality (writer, talk show host, TV person, etc.). What you heard in the 15 minutes of idiocy was nothing more than the latest example. And yet, I still read and listen to their stuff all too often :rolleyes:

Regarding Borges, my take is that there is an "agenda" with Belichick, and not a "vendetta." Recall his relationship with Carroll, and pretty much any non-player associated with the team, other than Parcells (I'm guessing he cooled it with Tuna out of *cough* "respect" for Willie McD). Ron's shtick has always been to be confrontational with the coaches and management of the team, while ingratiating himself with the players. I'm old enough to remember when Borges first came to Boston from Sacramento; within the first couple of months he was already harping on the theme of "Sullivans are cheap" (which, of course, they were). That morphed to "Kiam is cheap" and then to "Kraft is cheap," with only certain "CYA" modifications of the verbiage with respect to Kraft (even Ron is not blind to the level of respect the fan base has for Kraft, a level that was never there for Bob's predecessors). Ron's a one-trick pony, really, he's the "angry tough guy" today that he has always fancied himself to be. All of which means in spite of his actual abilities to cover sporting events and write (fairly decently, I think) about them, Ron has zero credibility and should therefore be ignored by those who don't care to catch the latest installment of his 30+ year old act in this town. And yet, I still read and listen to his stuff too :bricks:

I agree that Borges writes and speaks with an obvious bias. I also don't doubt that BB has treated him disrespectfully which is unneccesary, but part of Belicheck's persona. At this point in his career, in my opinion, Borges seems to realize that writing foolish articles is how he is going to get attention and earn a living. I don't think he is independantly wealthy and I think that this is all that is left for him. I avoid him in most circumstances, but if it were not him it would be someone else and I do not begrudge him the job.

The main thing that torques me about Borges is that this is the writer who represents New England on the Hall of Fame voting committee. Given his history of plagerism as well as his current journalistic situation (again all in my opinion) it is impossible for me to look at the current Hall of Fame process as anything but a joke. There are football writers in the Boston market who really work at it. I would put Reiss and Bedard as 1 and 2 on my list. That these writers and others who seem far more deserving need to wait for this guy to die (becuase he will clearly never ever step down voluntarily) is in my opinion a sad situation.

Last edited:
Here's an important clue...
Links were not available at the time the live radio was being broadcast AM & internet

Perhaps my sarcasm wasn't evident when I posted that. I figured that was more subtle than telling him to get a clue.

Perhaps my sarcasm wasn't evident when I posted that. I figured that was more subtle than telling him to get a clue.

Internet brevity problems. I was just attempting to bust Kontra's balls further. He's a favorite poster of mine.

I agree that Borges writes and speaks with an obvious bias. I also don't doubt that BB has treated him disrespectfully which is unneccesary, but part of Belicheck's persona. At this point in his career, in my opinion, Borges seems to realize that writing foolish articles is how he is going to get attention and earn a living. I don't think he is independantly wealthy and I think that this is all that is left for him. I avoid him in most circumstances, but if it were not him it would be someone else and I do not begrudge him the job.

The main thing that torques me about Borges is that this is the writer who represents New England on the Hall of Fame voting committee. Given his history of plagerism as well as his current journalistic situation (again all in my opinion) it is impossible for me to look at the current Hall of Fame process as anything but a joke. There are football writers in the Boston market who really work at it. I would put Reiss and Bedard as 1 and 2 on my list. That these writers and others who seem far more deserving need to wait for this guy to die (becuase he will clearly never ever step down voluntarily) is in my opinion a sad situation.

Great post. That pretty much sums it up.

There is no creature walking the earth with a thinner skin than a sports media personality (writer, talk show host, TV person, etc.). What you heard in the 15 minutes of idiocy was nothing more than the latest example.

This is my biggest problem with the media in general. Your Borges, Felgers, Mazz, Callahan locally. Or King, Bert Breer nationally. Biggest, and blatant hypocrites.

They bash, and incite in writing or on the air, and granted I understand some of it may be staged for revenue. But challenged on their opinions? And they act like you slapped their mother in the face. It's not civil discourse, its I'm right, and if you don't agree, your wrong. Yet Belichick is the one with a hubris problem. These are the alleged voice of the fans, and they can't see the forest thru the trees half the time.

It's the whole I can dish it out, but I can't take it mentality.

I like Felger and Mazz Pats coverage even though I don't always agree. Most of us have formed our own opinions before we listen to any radio show, besides it'd be boring if everyone thought the same. I tune into sportsradio for the entertainment as much if not more so than information. I laugh at Felger's smarmy contrarian demeanor more than I get annoyed by it.

BTW radom observation- Felger's wife Sara U is a smokeshow. :D

Last edited:
I was thinking (but for the fact that even BB wouldn't do it because it would ultimately be bad for the team) that a fantastic way to shut up all the "running up the score" and "take your starters out" critics would be this:

Say the Pats win against Miami on Sunday, then they have just won the AFC East, guaranteeing a home playoff game. It's going to be pretty hard for us to get a bye, unless either the Ravens or Texans implode and lose two more games each (and the Texans specifically to us) and we win out, so why not just lay down for the rest of the regular season? Give Brady, Wilfork, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Ridley and all the other starters a month off! After all, BB really can't win anything else and he is just risking it by putting them out there. Let Mallet throw to Greg Salas and Visanthe Shiancoe for the last 4 games, particularly the two on national television against San Fran and Houston! The NFL should LOVE IT the way they are all criticizing BB! I think I'll send it to BB's suggestion box!

I like Felger and Mazz Pats coverage even though I don't always agree. Most of us have formed our own opinions before we listen to any radio show, besides it'd be boring if everyone thought the same. I tune into sportsradio for the entertainment as much if not more so than information. I laugh at Felger's smarmy contrarian demeanor more than I get annoyed by it.

BTW radom observation- Felger's wife Sara U is a smokeshow. :D

Felger KNOWS he's full of ****e, he doesn't take himself seriously, nor does he expect you to....he KNOWS he's a sports based entertainer

Mazz I suspect still takes himself semi-serious.....and Borges takes the cake....he's a doosh, and it isn't a schtick

I was thinking (but for the fact that even BB wouldn't do it because it would ultimately be bad for the team) that a fantastic way to shut up all the "running up the score" and "take your starters out" critics would be this:

Say the Pats win against Miami on Sunday, then they have just won the AFC East, guaranteeing a home playoff game. It's going to be pretty hard for us to get a bye, unless either the Ravens or Texans implode and lose two more games each (and the Texans specifically to us) and we win out, so why not just lay down for the rest of the regular season? Give Brady, Wilfork, Gronk, Hernandez, Welker, Ridley and all the other starters a month off! After all, BB really can't win anything else and he is just risking it by putting them out there. Let Mallet throw to Greg Salas and Visanthe Shiancoe for the last 4 games, particularly the two on national television against San Fran and Houston! The NFL should LOVE IT the way they are all criticizing BB! I think I'll send it to BB's suggestion box!

I'm against this, Deb....and my reason is football players are creatures of habit. I'd much rather have them playing at the same level of intensity game to game playing the starters to maintain sharpness. The past winners of the Super Bowl recently have all come from lower seeds without the bye....it could be that keeping an edge today is more important than ever. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

Is that you, Jim Caldwell????

I know for a fact from listening to Brady talk about this very issue that he wants to stay in games and HATES being taken out.

Wilfork just made a statement the other day about how a game becomes "fun" when you are up by 30 points or so.

And I know I personally am disappointed when my opponents resign from a game, even when we both know there's no chance of winning. Why? Because I enjoy playing even the games I blow out to the end.

While I don't think this is the only reason Belichick is keeping his starters in, but maybe he's keeping them in because the starters want to be kept in the game. He's rewarding them with some fun.

i remember brady in 2007 bringing up a game in miami where he had 78 yards passing in the game and that the pats werent complaining to allow a few easy completions to pad their numbers or something to that effect and that there is no running up the score...

just heard on felger and mazz that borges could be that guy that has to present the initial case to the hall of fame voters of why belichick should be in the hall of fame

just heard on felger and mazz that borges could be that guy that has to present the initial case to the hall of fame voters of why belichick should be in the hall of fame
I believe when one performs that task, as Borges did for Andre Tippett, that the intial step is nominating the candidate for election. I'm guessing Ron would rather nominate Lee Harvey Oswald.

I'm against this, Deb....and my reason is football players are creatures of habit. I'd much rather have them playing at the same level of intensity game to game playing the starters to maintain sharpness. The past winners of the Super Bowl recently have all come from lower seeds without the bye....it could be that keeping an edge today is more important than ever. Anyway, that's just my opinion.

LOL. You and Shmessy missed my little ;) there...

Anyone else just hear PS go nuts on Borges for his anti Belichick obsession? At one point he stated Borges bitterness dated back to his close friendship with Bledsoe. Borges began to stammer when PS asked if it were true that Borges was Bledsoe's supper guest back in his Pat days. Borges was caught off guard and didn’t deny it but demanded that Sheppard cite his source.

Good stuff.:D

Borges hatred by the time of the Seymour pick was obvious. I don't think it's Bledsoe, I think Borges has to be an inside guy, and BB shut him out. It was so bad by '05 that I wrote so many letters to the Ombudsman and Editor at the Globe that I had regular email dialog with them. Nothing came of it of course. He's an obscenity IMO.

Borges hatred by the time of the Seymour pick was obvious. I don't think it's Bledsoe, I think Borges has to be an inside guy, and BB shut him out. It was so bad by '05 that I wrote so many letters to the Ombudsman and Editor at the Globe that I had regular email dialog with them. Nothing came of it of course. He's an obscenity IMO.

Pretty much how I see it. He really needs to be removed as HOF vote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case