PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Per Breer: Mac Jones "infuriating" coaches with decision making

You wasted a lot of keystrokes here -- the reference was to Triumph's obvious nonsense, not you or anyone else.
His lust for Zappe is nonsense.
His early recognition that Mac was garbage was anything but nonsense.
For those keeping score, you both are '1 win/1 loss'.
You just chose a different hill to die on........Mont Mac
Bill chose both Mont Mac and Mont Zappe

french faint GIF

Running QBs struggle to stay in the pocket.

The only QB that Ive ever seen change is Donavan Mcnabb. Lamar Jackson might be getting it since he is on pace to throw for his high water mark for passing yards and attempts.

Been really impressed by Lamar this year, but he's always been able to read a D, he just struggled with mechanics. He's more compact now and the ball is out quicker.

Fields is a world away from that. He's all half field reads or single read and scoot.

The consensus was Mac was drafted into a team best suited to set him up for success…funny that it turned out the exact opposite.

Still irks me that Bill used a 4th round pick on a smurf with a weakling little arm from a minor conference that zero other teams would have drafted in any round when Sam Howell was right there for the taking in the 2022 draft. We saw for ourselves last week what a mistake that was.

Mac probably would have already been out the door already and the team’s future at QB would be quite a bit brighter than it is now. And BB might have been able to chalk up another late round QB success story for his legacy.
When did this love for Howell start? He's not good. He's not the second coming of anyone. You blame the Pats for not drafting him...neither did 31 other teams for 4 rounds.

He outplayed Mac and the beat up Pats secondary featuring the likes of Myles Bryant. That's it.

When did this love for Howell start? He's not good. He's not the second coming of anyone. You blame the Pats for not drafting him...neither did 31 other teams for 4 rounds.

He outplayed Mac and the beat up Pats secondary featuring the likes of Myles Bryant. That's it.
Didn't say he was the second coming of anyone but yeah I think he is good. I'd take him over Purdy for sure. Great at spreading the ball around. Very good arm. Yeah he takes too many sacks right now and also seems slow to get the ball out which is probably a reason for that but I think he'll get better.

I don't blame the Pats for not drafting him but I blame the Pats for drafting an inferior project like Zappe who will never be good instead of him if they wanted to go QB at that point of the draft. I have no doubt Howell is good enough to put Mac on the bench after the Cowboys and Saints disasters.

Looks like Mac is being setup as the fall guy.

Was Mac the guy that:
a) pushed Jacoby Meyers out the door
b) declined to outbid the Titans for Hopkins who got him for a deal. Money talks and the Pats could have easily convinced him with more money.
c) injure their only good receiver Bourne.

With the Jags Mac is playing with, we shouldn't be blaming him for anything but pointing the finger to where it belongs.

I would have swapped them in 2021 after the draft but not now. If Lance was going to reach his potential we would have seen it already. The 49ers would have picked him and dealt Purdy without a second thought. It’s not happening.

His ceiling may still be higher than Mac’s but his floor is much, much lower.
Looking at today's QB. Allen, Jackson, mahomes, burrow.. they all have some athletic ability and can throw on the run.. Lance outside of Jackson is more athletic then them. I'd absolutely be interested in him.. it's not like he's been a 5 years vet and just hasn't been good. His career is in it's beginning stages.

Been really impressed by Lamar this year, but he's always been able to read a D, he just struggled with mechanics. He's more compact now and the ball is out quicker.

Fields is a world away from that. He's all half field reads or single read and scoot.
What's troubling about Jackson is only 9 TDs.

The Bears have to take a QB this draft.

Looks like Mac is being setup as the fall guy.

Was Mac the guy that:
a) pushed Jacoby Meyers out the door
b) declined to outbid the Titans for Hopkins who got him for a deal. Money talks and the Pats could have easily convinced him with more money.
c) injure their only good receiver Bourne.

With the Jags Mac is playing with, we shouldn't be blaming him for anything but pointing the finger to where it belongs.
He’s not the only problem, but the truth is he is a problem.
His well below average arm strength means receivers need to be OPEN to hit them for a big hit play: he’s not squeezing the ball in double or even single tight coverage and due to the lack or velocity on the ball Dbs can either close in on the ball or the WR.
Those extra 2 seconds the ball takes to get there makes a difference,
Mac has shown he can play with Stud WRs with a stud O line.
What we should have cataloged is how does he do when the WRs are average or below and he has pressure in his face.

The biggest issue he is has one year left on a rookie contract and right now he is no better than a Jag.
Mechanics have gone downhill and his selling point was he was pro ready and you won’t lose because of him.
Well now he is a main ingredient in our losing formula.
He is playing scared and any new especially first time HC would be crazy to tie their wagon to him. We will be going QB early next draft.
Unless Mac and Bill win out the season and we are all taking crazy pills.

Looking at today's QB. Allen, Jackson, mahomes, burrow.. they all have some athletic ability and can throw on the run.. Lance outside of Jackson is more athletic then them. I'd absolutely be interested in him.. it's not like he's been a 5 years vet and just hasn't been good. His career is in it's beginning stages.
Lance was a project with high upside when he was drafted... and still is a project 3 years later. No development at all and part of that is on how he was developed I think. Doesn't seem like a Shanahan kind of QB. Hasn't shown yet that he can even play in this league at all never mind reach that upside.

And with that injury maybe his upside is lower now than it was. I think that's probably why the 49ers pulled the plug.

His well below average arm strength means receivers need to be OPEN to hit them for a big hit play: he’s not squeezing the ball in double or even single tight coverage and due to the lack or velocity on the ball Dbs can either close in on the ball or the WR.
What we should have cataloged is how does he do when the WRs are average or below and he has pressure in his face.

The biggest issue he is has one year left on a rookie contract and right now he is no better than a Jag.
Mechanics have gone downhill and his selling point was he was pro ready and you won’t lose because of him.
He is playing scared and any new especially first time HC would be crazy to tie their wagon to him. We will be going QB early next draft.
That's the problem at the NFL level for a lot of highly touted young QB's. You have all that big program elite talent around you in college but you won't always have that kind of help in the big leagues. I still believe the regression didn't happen on its own, his development was botched by this team.

Lance was a project with high upside when he was drafted... and still is a project 3 years later. No development at all and part of that is on how he was developed I think. Doesn't seem like a Shanahan kind of QB. Hasn't shown yet that he can even play in this league at all never mind reach that upside.

And with that injury maybe his upside is lower now than it was. I think that's probably why the 49ers pulled the plug.
That's what is interesting.. becuase San Fran drafted him.. and still had Jimmy glass on the roster.. then the way that situation was with Jimmy told he wasn't going to be part of the plan. I wish my job could pay me to stay home Lol. He got hurt last season after 4 games I think was a serious injury. Like fields I don't think the teams who drafted them are correctly using them to thier strengths. Athletes like them you have to let them be them, that's what got them to the NFL level. Is what Ravens did what Lamar..

• Agree
Reactions: sb1

The problem is we are all use to Brady, a top 5 QB literally every year he played.

Outside the top 5 QBs. Fans are groaning cause those outside the top 5 QBs have flaws.

Every thing is so bad around Mac right now that there's nothing he can do. But I'm in firm belief that he could be a top 10 to 15 QB with adequate talent, similar to Baker Mayfield. He might even be better than him if he was on the Bucs.

For decades, it was all about the system, the Patriot Way. A Promising QB should be doing OK under the best system. Now we are seeing without talent, the system means squat.

The problem is we are all use to Brady, a top 5 QB literally every year he played.

Outside the top 5 QBs. Fans are groaning cause those outside the top 5 QBs have flaws.

Every thing is so bad around Mac right now that there's nothing he can do. But I'm in firm belief that he could be a top 10 to 15 QB with adequate talent, similar to Baker Mayfield. He might even be better than him if he was on the Bucs.

For decades, it was all about the system, the Patriot Way. A Promising QB should be doing OK under the best system. Now we are seeing without talent, the system means squat.
He was not a Top 5 QB in 2001, 2003 and 4. The Pats actually have a very strong run game and O-line that allowed Brady make the throws he needed to. After 2004, yes, he became and remained a Top 5 QB.

His lust for Zappe is nonsense.
His early recognition that Mac was garbage was anything but nonsense.
For those keeping score, you both are '1 win/1 loss'.
You just chose a different hill to die on........Mont Mac
Bill chose both Mont Mac and Mont Zappe

french faint GIF

Are you intentionally misinterpreting this, or did you not read my prior posts? I'm not defending Mac. I simply pointed out that Triumph started his anti-Mac jihad when the kid beat out his binky Cam Newton, then seized on the "tennis brat" trope. He didn't "recognize" anything re. Mac's capabilities; hell, that yokel can't recognize an unused roll of toilet paper. His subsequent Zappe campaign should give you a clue.

He was not a Top 5 QB in 2001, 2003 and 4. The Pats actually have a very strong run game and O-line that allowed Brady make the throws he needed to. After 2004, yes, he became and remained a Top 5 QB.
That's because he worked like a maniac to get better every year, worked on any weakness in his game, you won't find many athletes that put in the work he did to improve over the course of their careers.

People need to pump the brakes on the Howell hype, but he does have impressive physical traits. I’d rather spend a year or two seeing if he figures it out than spend a year or two on a guy who is already limited.

People need to pump the brakes on the Howell hype, but he does have impressive physical traits. I’d rather spend a year or two seeing if he figures it out than spend a year or two on a guy who is already limited.
I would rather have the bad athletic QB than the bad unathletic QB.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back