PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

People seem to forget about Lawyer Milloy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 2000 I got a Milloy jersey.

I liked the 'swag' her brought to the field. It would have been interesting to see him and Rodney team up together in '03 but obviously that never came to fruition. Truth be told, the Harrison-E.Wilson combo was probably a better complimentary duo than a Harrison-Milloy duo would have been anyway.

Lawyer Law. Ty Milloy?

And, of course, Ben Watson Jarvis Green Ellis Hobbs, w/Calvin et. al. P.C.
boston-legal-tv-series-e1548722605589.jpg
"That Bob Kraft sure is...krafty."

You can't put "Watson" in that part of the sentence, because the name "Ben Jarvis Green" is a Hebrew patronymic (Son of Jarvis Green) but I applaud the transition to Ellis Hobbs. Perhaps it should be followed by "& Shaw."

My memory was that he was in papers prior to his release squawking about money, which is a very un-Patriot thing to do as we know.

You might have him confused for Asante Samuel's "Get rich or die tryin" tattoo.

Regarding forgetting him... He was my favorite player at the time and the only jersey hanging in my closet. But his release certainly affected how he's viewed here. He's not one of the founders of the Patriot Way, like Tedy, Willie, Rodney and some of the other multi ring guys.

I think he's remembered in a mass of memories swirling around related to him. "This team hates its coach" etc. He was the release that proved nobody in NE is release proof except, well, let's leave it there. (I know I know, Brady wasn't "released," but at a certain point, the principle applies to everybody.)

Actually his talent grew at the end... as it became clear that you can't complain your way out of some really good CB talent b/c what you REALLY want is a "shutdown corner that takes half the field away from them." Well DUH of course you do, you want that so much because Prime Time could do it, and let's see, that's right, NOBODY ELSE.

But that said, non-unique talent mean in NE, you don't get paid as a super star, just a star. That's what I most remember Lawyer Milloy for, sadly, more than anything else -- the result being nobody is bigger than the team.

I loved the player. I still feel cheated we never saw him and Rodney playing together. Tight ends and full backs would have hated that lineup.

I loved the player. I still feel cheated we never saw him and Rodney playing together. Tight ends and full backs would have hated that lineup.
I still remember on Madden 2004 that they were both on the same roster in that game, as the rosters had not updated yet.

I always added Ted Washington to that defense as a FA and it would be almost unfair.

Perhaps a blessing in disguise as I think Eugene Wilson ended up being a better compliment to Harrison than waht Milloy would have been. I like Harrison and Lawyer a lot, but I think each needs a fellow safety with a bit more speed to have 'range'.

Lawyer Milloy. I totally forgot about that guy.

right, whod have thought not only would they watch us win 6 sb’s but own them incredibly in the process
Remember, we were the only ones to come from behind to beat them at Three Rivers during their 70's run, and we should have gone there again in '76 on the way to Pats-adena; and we took care of them again in '96 on the way to New Orleans.

The biggest dislike I have of them is that they're in our way. And they think they're better than us.

Kind of like the rest of the league...

I was a huge Milloy fan back in the day, but what people have to remember was that in 2002 his stat line looked like this:

Picks - 0

Forced Fumbles - 0

Fumble recoveries - 0

Sacks - 0

To put it another way, for the 2002 season Lawyer Milloy had ZERO impact plays for his team....and his tackle numbers were down over by over 20 and his lowest since his rookie year in 96

So really Bill wasn't being at ALL unreasonable to ask him to take a pay cut. He was coming off his worst year as a patriot and turning 30. According to curran, Bill was still offering him over $3MM for that year, which was still big SS money back then.

To his credit Milloy did play 8 more seasons in the NFL, 3 each with Buffalo and Atlanta, and 2 with Seattle. But there were no more probowls or all pro selections, and after his initial pay day in Buffalo, he got less in Atlanta (2MM/yr) and less in Seattle (800K/yr).

What Bill did was shocking to us fans, and a lot of us believed Tom Jackson when he made his now infamous remark. I happened to be in Philly. for that game and was severely worried. It turned out I didn't need to be as they rolled over the Eagles and had the Philly crowd booing their own team at the end of the first quarter. And the rest is history.

I no longer question Bill's overall running of the team.. He's not been right on all his tough calls, but even the GOAT isn't perfect. History has proven he was right with Milloy. Hopefully he's going to be right about Brady. Bring Tom back for another 2 years would be postponing the inevitable and tempting fate. And Tom wasn't going to come back for just one year.

I think Tom will do very well next season, providing the media with tons of content in comparing TB, with the Pats. Meanwhile if you are pessimistic the comparison could be Bill's first team in 2000. If you are optimistic I would look at like the 2001 team. Zero expectations, but a team that has .500 talent, and could squeeze another 3 wins out because of great coaching. In 2021 the Pats will reportedly have 100MM in cap room and the long term rebuild begins again.

So really Bill wasn't being at ALL unreasonable to ask him to take a pay cut.
It's amazing people including media historically think Bill just pulls stuff out of his ass with no thought or consideration of all the facts. And they still do.
What Bill did was shocking to us fans
And most importantly to Tom.

Terry leaving, okay. Drew, obviously. Lawyer? It was a hard lesson for a fourth year but still young quarterback that in a sport of arguably the most intense emotion, it's still a business and it's never easy even under the best of circumstances. Some players deal with this better than others.
a lot of us believed Tom Jackson when he made his now infamous remark
Maybe I'm just a skeptic, but crap like that immediately triggers a "red alert" in my head that it's total B.S. Same thing with Crygate. A few guys in a place where they sort of, probably shouldn't have been. Hardly capital murder. Although, Ty Law's later ranting lends some credence to Jackson's statement. Tom certainly didn't like Bill, going back to when they were with the Broncos together. Most non-star players appreciate that they were given a fair shot with Bill, more so than with practically every other team. Me? I always liked Bill. Even when he was with the Giants.:eek:
I happened to be in Philly. for that game and was severely worried. It turned out I didn't need to be as they rolled over the Eagles and had the Philly crowd booing their own team at the end of the first quarter. And the rest is history.
A huge day. Rosie tearing up his hip was a total bummer, but otherwise order was restored. '03 is obviously one of the greatest, most exciting Pats seasons ever.
I think Tom will do very well next season, providing the media with tons of content in comparing TB, with the Pats.
TB says TB won't do TB in TB
upload_2020-4-5_20-39-44.jpegupload_2020-4-5_20-40-54.jpegupload_2020-4-5_20-42-46.jpegupload_2020-4-5_20-43-15.png

I liked Harrison more, only player with 30 sacks and 30 interceptions in league history.

But I get your point, Milloy could ball.

I don’t see anyone saying anything negative about Milloy.

Why would a guy who has not played for the Patriots in 18 years become a thread topic ?

Most people on these boards respect Milloy, but are more concerned with today and tomorrow.

When was the last time we had a Ben Coats thread?

Ben Coates is a better TE than Lawyer Milloy was a safety.
Having said that, where does LM fit amongst the best safeties in Pats history?
(Not in order)
Fred Marion
Rodney Harrison
Devin McCourty
Pat Chung
Lawyer Milloy
Willie Clay

(Not in order)
Fred Marion
Rodney Harrison
Devin McCourty
Pat Chung
Lawyer Milloy
Willie Clay

Tim Fox would be on my list.

People seem to forget about Willie Clay...

People seem to forget about Tebucky Jones

People seem to forget about Fred Marion

People seem to forget about Rick Sanford

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

(Not in order)
Fred Marion
Rodney Harrison
Devin McCourty
Pat Chung
Lawyer Milloy
Willie Clay
Prentice McCray
Roland James

Prentice McCray
Roland James

Prentice McCray predates me.
How could I forget Roland James???

I used to think with Claybon, Lippet, Marion and Roland back there...no way anyone could pass on us. So many big play guys!
Plus we were so strong on the line and backers. Oh...we coulda shoulda made it to more than 1 SB!

Prentice McCray predates me.
How could I forget Roland James???

I used to think with Claybon, Lippet, Marion and Roland back there...no way anyone could pass on us. So many big play guys!
Plus we were so strong on the line and backers. Oh...we coulda shoulda made it to more than 1 SB!
Objectively, sticking with Grogan for the' 86 playoffs and Flutie in '88 not only could have got us back, but our chances of winning it were better than in '85. Still difficult, but doable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down