PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

People seem to forget about Lawyer Milloy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still hear Robert Weathers name tossed around on here a lot and he hasn’t played here in 35 years. ;)
Thats the cool thing about sports. Names and players just stick with you.

I was about 10 when I really started following the NEP and knowing what the hell I was watching. I was playing Pop Warner. I was RB and a little safety. Pats were 2-14 in 1981. Great year to start following the team.

Even though his career wasn't a glorious or long one, I just remember his first year in 82ish watching a NE game and liking how he ran.

Thats the story.

Lawyer Milloy was one of many awesome things that happened during the late 90s, but will always be overshadowed by Tuna vs Kraft, and the Pete Carroll debacle.

Troy Brown Punt TD vs. Giants securing the bye
Terry Glenn's TD in the fog bowl
8TDs to 8 different receivers
KC blowout in 98
Back to back Last second finger-bowl wins vs Bills and Phins
Zolak vs. Young
Bledsoe's last great game as a Pat '99 home opener vs. Colts.

Who?

Oh yeah.

in the super bowl right? We were winning until that play

Another great game plan and winnable game. We went up 14-10 with momentum and then that play happened. Still were in it despite I believe 3 or 4 interceptions. That play and ofcourse the Desmond Howard play were game changers.

No one connects anything with the guy other than he became known as “the guy Bill shockingly cut before the opener in 2003.”
That incident remains one of the worst, most blatant forms of tampering I have ever seen.

sNkagL4.jpg

I'd love a highlight reel of any and all recorded BB F-bombs (and lament all those I'll never get to hear).

giphy.gif

Another great game plan and winnable game. We went up 14-10 with momentum and then that play happened. Still were in it despite I believe 3 or 4 interceptions. That play and ofcourse the Desmond Howard play were game changers.

Watched some highlights recently. Drew threw one of the worst interceptions I’ve ever seen. Just a weird lob pass with hang time that was way over the receiver’s head and the defender was right there and caught it without trying. Almost like he could have signaled fair catch on that thing. SMH

Curran: Milloy release a turning point for Belichick, Pats

Interesting that the Milloy contract BB grew to despise was signed 2 weeks after BB was named head coach.
My memory was that he was in papers prior to his release squawking about money, which is a very un-Patriot thing to do as we know.

Regarding forgetting him... He was my favorite player at the time and the only jersey hanging in my closet. But his release certainly affected how he's viewed here. He's not one of the founders of the Patriot Way, like Tedy, Willie, Rodney and some of the other multi ring guys.

In a shocking coincidence I have maintained since the early 1990s that my first wife's lawyer was a dog.
Lawyer Law. Ty Milloy?

And, of course, Ben Watson Jarvis Green Ellis Hobbs, w/Calvin et. al. P.C.
boston-legal-tv-series-e1548722605589.jpg
"That Bob Kraft sure is...krafty."

Watched some highlights recently. Drew threw one of the worst interceptions I’ve ever seen. Just a weird lob pass with hang time that was way over the receiver’s head and the defender was right there and caught it without trying. Almost like he could have signaled fair catch on that thing. SMH
Sorry I've said it a million times, but we needed to reign in Drew, especially as the game wore on [see 2002 AFCCG]. I saw the Packers play a lot that year. They were very good, but Howard was phenomenal. If the coaches had remained disciplined in just handing the rock to Curtis, we might have won it anyway [see Super Bowl XVII]. Keep pounding away with your horse.

Got married a month before the game.

Afterward, Tuna was not on the flight home, and the honeymoon was over.

My memory was that he was in papers prior to his release squawking about money, which is a very un-Patriot thing to do as we know.

Regarding forgetting him... He was my favorite player at the time and the only jersey hanging in my closet. But his release certainly affected how he's viewed here. He's not one of the founders of the Patriot Way, like Tedy, Willie, Rodney and some of the other multi ring guys.
Plenty of Pats players have squawked about money publicly. Those who possessed leverage over the team survived and prospered.
Milloy lost leverage with NE when Bill signed Harrison at half the price.
Gronk was irreplaceable with all the leverage possible and therefore managed to secure pay increases despite being under contract.
McCourty and Mankins had leverage over NE during contract negations because Bill had no Plan B to replace them.

Milloy did alright financially with Buffalo

No one connects anything with the guy other than he became known as “the guy Bill shockingly cut before the opener in 2003.”

That’s a shame. Guy made 4 Pro Bowls in his last 5 years here, made multiple All-Pro teams, and was a big part of helping win the first Super Bowl. For several years, he was one of the premier safeties in football.

It’s really a shame to me. He deserves recognition as a great player during his time here. Still one of my favorite football names ever too.
This was a HUGE event in Patriots history.

After a Cinderella feel-good Super Bowl triumph, and a promising but disappointing 2002 season, letting Milloy go rocked Tom's world.

Emotion has always been there with Brady. Those last games against the Phins and Titans, he looked very much like he knew his time was over here, and it wasn't a fairy tale ending.

Anyway, back then Tom set the tone and the team followed his lead: Let's just forget about this, get to work and focus on the next game. That culminated in another Super Bowl victory.

They weren't laughing a year later after the AFCCG:D

right, whod have thought not only would they watch us win 6 sb’s but own them incredibly in the process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots