PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Penalties being considered for the Pats - UPDATED 1/1/2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Cowher: “You know, let me just say this: To answer your question, no, I don’t think so (it’s not an advantage for one team over another).
I just know as a head coach, you are always looking for a competitive edge. We had people out there trying to look at signals. We had guys go to games. They would tape the signal caller and also write it down. They would take it back and match up the signals with the game film and certain defenses with certain plays that were being called, particularly the defenses being called, to see if we could come up with some kind of an alert for a signal. So, what they did with videotaping the signal caller, people do it with the people in the stands!!
These people sitting there in the stands, looking at the signal, writing it down and matching up the 1st and 10 signal. Ok? Then you go back again and the 2nd and 10 and here’s the signal. You do that for a whole game.
You then go back and match up the defenses with the signal. And you can come up with what the signal was.
So, you don;’t need a video tape with what they were talking about doing. And people were doing it. WE were doing that. Everybody does that. You’re TRYING to gain a competitive edge. There is nothing wrong with that.
That’s why baseball players go through the mirage of signals. They’ve got all these different codes. That’s part of the competitive spirit of the game. I think it’s totally overblown. I think if you get caught (signals compromised), then do what we did and go to wristbands, you are worried about it. We started putting defenses on wristbands. Then you find a way to not get caught (signals compromised). When your good at something and people try steal from ya, I think it’s flattering.”

All teams did what NE was doing. The point is, NE won 3 SBs in 4 years, and jealous teams actually thought this was some kind of an advantage, but only for NE.

do you have a link for that quote? Id love to throw that at the stiller fans who still whine to this day

I think he's said that for years but a real quote would be nice I agree. A few coaches have come out and said things like that but most prefer to ride the hate train.

do you have a link for that quote? Id love to throw that at the stiller fans who still whine to this day

I do not. I personally transcribed it and dated it while listening to 98.5. Felger and Mazz interviewed and asked him about Spygate on that date, that's why I notated the date. You could write in to 98.5 and ask to confirm, but that's it. Or, at least, that's the pertinent part of the interview that exposes Goodell as a liar.

And, ironically, Cowher retired as Clowndell came on board, which proves what Goodell said was not only a new policy, but his lack of clarifying that ,was a way to hide the fact he was cheating NE by being so Draconian and outrageous with a 1st rd pick.

I stopped listening to those 2 lying hyenas about a year later when Jon Kraft was on (October of 2011) and they were attacking and berating him demanding why BB doesn't build his teams more like the Jets. I kid you not. I shut it down and haven't really voluntarily been a listener for that show since.

All stadiums have camera perches. That's essentially what it means. The rule was meant to isolate the camera person from the side of the stadium for example.

I remember in 2008 when ESPN showed us some of the tapes that the NFL confiscated, and they were so sloppy with their framejob of the Pats, one showed Matt Walsh at the top of Heinz Field all by himself in broad daylight in the 2001 title game.

1. This was the AFC title game, so there was no way this would be for a future game's purposes that season. This proves it's nothing more than a cataloging and a due diligence of scouting during a game for future possible use.

2. Walsh, was in no way, shape or form, going to be able to run down at halftime to show BB hand signals in some secret room to help NE score a bunch of points in the second half.

I can't believe I actually just typed point #2.

So, why would Pitt give NE a perch across from their own sideline if filming was illegal?

I mean, this is how sloppy Goodell's people are with the framejobs.

Deflategate had about a dozen inconsistencies/non-sensical elements to it as well.

Matt Walsh, who clearly had an axe to grind against the Patriots stated under oath that the Patriots never asked for his tapes for days and weeks after the game.

Absolutely no way was this for half-time adjustments/decoding of signals.

Sounds like to me it was for Ernie Adam style pattern recognition and tracking tendencies.

And I'm sorry, but meh to any team that keeps their same signals and play calling from their 1st game against an opponent to the next.

Last edited:
I think he's said that for years but a real quote would be nice I agree. A few coaches have come out and said things like that but most prefer to ride the hate train.

There's more than a few and this is from memory, but I could probably dig them up.

Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Bud Grant, Chuck Knox and Cowher.

I may have missed one or two as well. Chuck Knox called Goodell's position "hogwash". lol

Gee, do I believe Goodell and cheating Woody Johnson or do I believe a former NFL coach, an actual primary source who coached in the league?

What's funny is, right at the beginning of Spygate that very week, Don Shula said "what's the big deal?" which proves HE did what BB did and all coaches do.

But then, when he realized NE actually might go 16-0, he changed his tune and claimed it was cheating, the little overrated fraud Shula is.

There's more than a few and this is from memory, but I could probably dig them up.

Vermeil, Jimmy Johnson, Parcells, Bud Grant, Chuck Knox and Cowher.

I may have missed one or two as well. Chuck Knox called Goodell's position "hogwash". lol

Gee, do I believe Goodell and cheating Woody Johnson or do I believe a former NFL coach, an actual primary source who coached in the league?

What's funny is, right at the beginning of Spygate that very week, Don Shula said "what's the big deal?" which proves HE did what BB did and all coaches do.

But then, when he realized NE actually might go 16-0, he changed his tune and claimed it was cheating, the little overrated fraud Shula is.

I was going to say doesn't he hate us but your timeline now makes sense!

Matt Walsh, who clearly had an axe to grind against the Patriots stated under oath that the Patriots never asked for his tapes for days and weeks after the game.

Absolutely no way was this for half-time adjustments/decoding of signals.

Sounds like to me it was for Ernie Adam style pattern recognition and tracking tendency.

And I'm sorry, but meh to any team that keeps their same signals and play calling from their 1st game against an opponent to the next.

Correct. I mean, we all know, as the NFL knows, Ernie Adams has an insane photographic memory.

Brady has one, so does BB. I have one, but it's not quite as immaculate as what Ernie Adams has.

So, I think this ties into the "well, if they all have photographic memories, this helps them more!" routine via what Mangini told Woody Johnson.

So, what this really means is, a person with talents or skills needs to be held back in their profession to appease our "all is fair" society.

Just pathetic.

Correct. I mean, we all know, as the NFL knows, Ernie Adams has an insane photographic memory.

Brady has one, so does BB. I have one, but it's not quite as immaculate as what Ernie Adams has.

So, I think this ties into the "well, if they all have photographic memories, this helps them more!" routine via what Mangini told Woody Johnson.

So, what this really means is, a person with talents or skills needs to be held back in their profession to appease our "all is fair" society.

Just pathetic.

Correct. Same argument in golf where some people say narrow the fairway starting at 320 yards. Why make it narrow only where the elite hitters land? It makes no sense.

Correct. Same argument in golf where some people say narrow the fairway starting at 320 yards. Why make it narrow only where the elite hitters land? It makes no sense.

I am a traditionalist by nature, so there has to be REALLY good reason to mess with rules and stuff that works just fine for years and years.

A whim by the Jets and other teams who piled on, isn't really a good enough reason for me.

It's technically a form of cheating, using the commissioner to make things tough for just ONE team.

See, I think when Spygate happened, Kraft and BB were probably shocked about it, but I also think they realized they needed to even better and use the rules to their advantage.

I mean, they called into Clowndell in January 2015 to make sure the substitution thing was legal, which tells you all you need to know.

Deflategate was the revenge for that and then they had the balls to change the rule with John Whinebaugh sitting on that Comp. Committee.

It's just so caddy. The tools behind this are like catty high school girls.

Roger Goodell has a college degree.

I want to see his and John Elway's, because neither appear very intelligent. Also, I want to see Troy Vincent's NUMEROUS degrees. What a farce.

Anyone seen his bio? He claims to have all these degrees from Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. bawahaha

It's hilarious. Sure, Troy. Sure. Where's your buddy Mike Kensil? Still the offshore liaison for China expansion for the NFL?

When does it end?

I want to see his and John Elway's, because neither appear very intelligent. Also, I want to see Troy Vincent's NUMEROUS degrees. What a farce.

Anyone seen his bio? He claims to have all these degrees from Harvard, Northwestern, Stanford, etc. bawahaha

It's hilarious. Sure, Troy. Sure. Where's your buddy Mike Kensil? Still the offshore liaison for China expansion for the NFL?

When does it end?
What does “intelligence” have to do with a college degree? What does a college degree have to do with critical thinking or even common sense? Asking for a friend.

Oh Joy Troy Vincent. He will start with a 50 million dollar fine and suspend BB for all of next season. I expect the worse.

So glad I turn on the games just before game time and don't listen to any noise during the week..just this board. I suggest everyone give it a try, trust me...you will like it.

What does “intelligence” have to do with a college degree? What does a college degree have to do with critical thinking or even common sense? Asking for a friend.

Someone with a college degree can potentially be educated, but someone without one cannot unless they really teach themselves (something that is rare). Roger Goodell is the best example of someone with a college degree that's relatively uneducated. The guy couldnt understand basic physics in deflategate. Not only that he has trouble speaking and being articulate. Abraham Lincoln is an example of someone highly educated without a formal education.

Last edited:

Developing critical thinking skills, time management, processing speed, and learning from others who may be more intelligent than you are. An experience or experiences that cannot be replaced or duplicated at that age elsewhere.

Howe has a detailed article just posted on the Athletic. Basically, it says the scout wasn't in a position to see what the video crew was doing once the game started...

From the scout’s location in the third row, he eventually noticed the crew had moved locations but couldn’t decipher what the crew had been shooting due to the angle between them. The scout was handling his own game-day job responsibilities.

The camera was attached to a monitor, so anyone in close proximity could see what the crew was shooting. And for eight minutes while the camera was fixed on the Bengals sideline, a Bengals employee recorded video of that monitor before reporting the activity to security.

The scout didn’t see the crew again until the two-minute warning in the second quarter when they were being interviewed about the incident.

So to answer the one remaining question, no, the scout was not in position to notice the crew was shooting video of the sideline

Developing critical thinking skills, time management, processing speed, and learning from others who may be more intelligent than you are. An experience or experiences that cannot be replaced or duplicated at that age elsewhere.
That isn’t always found in the ivory towers. Sorry.

Howe has a detailed article just posted on the Athletic. Basically, it says the scout wasn't in a position to see what the video crew was doing once the game started...

what the **** was this crew doing? It’s maddening?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe