PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PatsFans.com Roll Call

I live in Melbourne, Australia.
Been on the Pats since about 2000. Big fan.
I'm a former pro footballer from our own AFL but now an NFL and Patriots man!
Not a season ticket holder but coming over for a couple of games later this season. Can't wait!!!

We did this thread a few years ago, and I figured it would be a good idea to get to know everyone again. Post where you're from, if you're a season ticket holder, how long you've been a fan, etc.

I'll start it off.

Not a season ticket holder
Pats Fan for 20-years

P.S. I also have just learned of a terrific board upgrade that will occur when I shift us over for a final time to the dedicated server this weekend.

Not an STH.
I live in Western Mass but grew up in Framingham.
I have been a Pats fan since 1980.
I also used to Moderate the old Pats Message board on the official website back in the day.

Not an STH.
I live in Western Mass but grew up in Framingham.
I have been a Pats fan since 1980.
I also used to Moderate the old Pats Message board on the official website back in the day.
Welcome aboard, good to have you here :)

Hey very first post. From Davenport, IA (originally Canadian) but now live in Charleston, S.C. Pats fan since about '95 (saw a Pats t-shirt at a sports store and it's like it called out to me, this is who I'm supposed to cheer for haha). Never been to an NFL game, I envy all of you that have :(

A Pats fan since they drafted Brady from my alma mater.

I'm trying to appeal to as many New Englanders as I can who might be attending or know someone who is attending the AFC Championship game to get as many fans as they can to wear white old-timey sweatband on their heads with "Goodell" inscribed using a Sharpie or eyeblack, in the spirit of Jim McMahon. I think that would be funny as hel*.

rozelle.jpg

First post here.
I am from Serbia (Eastern Europe), been a fan for 15 years or so.
Unfortunately, never been to Boston and Foxborough, hope that will change someday :)

Hi, I'm from Ireland. As with many Irish I've relations in Boston. I was a big basketball fan when younger so I support the celtics. Relations and even friends from Boston have said (more insisted) if I follow any of American sports I was "obligated" to follow the Boston teams. In the last few years I've been to a Red Sox game and a few celtics games in Boston. Still learning the rules and traditions with the sports. I was to an NFL in 2015 at FEDEX Field, Redskins and Saints. Loved the atmosphere and the experience. Hopefully I'll get to a Pats game in Foxborough but until then I'll be cheering the team on from Ireland through TV and Gamepass. Most of games are on late so no place really to go to watch the game. I'm getting more friends interested in NFL and the last few years we've had super bowl parties and it's become a tradition now ! Anyways, Go Pats !!

Second Roll call post: I had lost my password and my password reset attempts were getting lost in a spam filter. I got it sorted out, and I am back!! :)

New fan from the U.K. saying hello. Been lurking on the board for months now, but ended up having so many questions on so many threads (due to being new to the sport), that I thought it was time to register, dive in and start asking them!

Thanks for providing a fun place to talk Patriots and American football!

New fan from the U.K. saying hello. Been lurking on the board for months now, but ended up having so many questions on so many threads (due to being new to the sport), that I thought it was time to register, dive in and start asking them!

Welcome to the Board!

Welcome to the forum, good to have you here! :D

What questions?

So many! Some initial ones, that aren’t dedicated play/scheme related (which I’ll be sure to post in the relevant threads):-

What is the benefit of using a time out, especially when close to the end of a quarter?

What is the difference between a fullback/halfback/scatback?

What is the benefit of the QB being under centre vs being slightly back (shotgun?)? Is it to run set plays only?

Thanks

So many! Some initial ones, that aren’t dedicated play/scheme related (which I’ll be sure to post in the relevant threads):-

What is the benefit of using a time out, especially when close to the end of a quarter?

What is the benefit of the QB being under centre vs being slightly back (shotgun?)? Is it to run set plays only?

Thanks

There are many reason to use a timeout at the end of a quarter; especially when closing a half/end of game. A timeout may also be used if the offense/defense does not have the correct personnel out on the field to matchup against the formation of the opposing team. Timeouts are used at the end of the game to "ice" the kicker. Icing refers to the strategy of calling a timeout on a kicker as he approaches the ball. It serves as an attempt to "get in his head" and mess with the kicker's psyche.

Scatback is not really a position, but typically refers to running backs who are smaller and rely on speed as opposed to power to gain yardage. You may hear the term north to south runners; which refer to power backs that rely on their size to power through defenses. Scatback also typically possess above average elusiveness. Dion Lewis has been referred to as a scatback, since he is smaller than the average running back and relies heavily on his elusiveness to avoid/break tackles.

Fullback and halfback are your two primary positions of running back. Fullbacks are primarily valued for their blocking ability to pave the way for the halfback. Halfbacks are the primary ball carriers. Halfbacks in the I-formation are referred to as the tailback.

The best reason for running a play from shotgun is the extra time a QB as to make a throw. When lined up under center, the QB either does a 7-step or a 3-step drop to make a pass. Lined up in shotgun; the QB does not have to "drop" back to make a pass. Shotgun is used by teams that have a poor Offensive line/poor QB. This give the OL/QB more time to hold the ball and allow a play to develop. Therefore; no it is not run simply to set plays but also to cover for deficits in the offensive line or QB.

Thank you for taking the time to write that up! That was really helpful

Thanks

Timeouts are sometimes used when the play clock is almost expired. Its a mistake to use a timeout, but saves the offense a 5 yard penalty. Brady uses timeouts occasionally to get the defense to reveal its formation and then go to the sideline to discuss play options. Weather can be a factor using time outs like strong wind. You obliviously want the wind to your back on offense. A defense could call a timeout on a crucial play to keep the other team driving against the wind. The offense could call a timeout so if they need a field goal the wind is in their favor.

For the most part you try to keep all 3 timeouts for the end of each half. Although, the 2 minute warning is essentially a 4th timeout so if you do have to use 1 timeout unexpectedly its not that crucial.

Fullback is basically a blocker. Devlin is the NE Fullback. Sometimes they run the ball and act as a receiver, but its rare. Not every team carries a Fullback on the roster some seasons.

Halfback is primarily a rusher although some are dual threat receiving as well. Lewis, White and Burkhead are in the dual threat category. I dont think that Gillislie is though, but he is still a Halfback. Bolden is a poor mans dual threat Halfback.

Scatback is sort of a nickname for a small shifty running back. He could still be a Halfback. Barry Sanders reminds me of a Scatback running around like a pin ball all over the field.

QB under center means a run or pass can be called. A QB sneak as well. The QB has to take steps back to pass which can take longer to set up to pass. The shotgun is more often than not a pass, though you can still run from the shotgun. Halfback draws are a popular play to run from the shotgun.

Thanks . Often think the Patriots make it slightly more difficult for a new fan to follow because of how interchangeable a lot of their parts seem to be.

Thanks . Often think the Patriots make it slightly more difficult for a new fan to follow because of how interchangeable a lot of their parts seem to be.

They do.

NE has running backs coming and going.

Hello,

I have always lived in Illinois so I am a Bears fan just because but have always liked the Patriots since collecting football cards back in the early 70s.

I remember guys like John Hannah and Russ Francis and how I know that Randy the Rabbit (mentioned in a post above) is Randy Vataha I'll never know. The names just stick in your head from being a football fan when I was a kid.

I have a question for Pats fans. Where do I post it to get the most answers?

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Back