PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Trivia: Who is the only AFC team the Pats have never faced in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah Bills was my guess... what amazes me is how many times they've played the (relatively) new teams in Jacksonville and Houston
And the Titans if you want to count them as “new” (Also discovered that we faced the Oilers in the playoffs once back in the late 70’s, which I did not realize)

I don’t wanna toot my own horn, but bengals came to my head within 5 seconds.

And the Titans if you want to count them as “new” (Also discovered that we faced the Oilers in the playoffs once back in the late 70’s, which I did not realize)
Yeah. Lost in 1978 :(

Without looking anything up, I would say the Bengals and the Browns

What were the details about that game? I know that’s the year New England broke the team rushing record.
Chuck Fairbanks fiasco. Last home playoff game until Pittsburgh in the 96 postseason.

Regards,
Chris

How long has it been since the Bengals won a playoff game?
5 Presidents ago on Jan 8,1991 and the team they beat doesn't even exist anymore ( Houston Oilers). And the team they week the week before isn't even in the conference anymore ( Seattle) and many probably didn't know they ever were in the AFC...
Holy crap

Good trivia there. Thinking back without cheating I Could of swore they played them with Icky Woods? You got me.
We beat 'em & Boomer (as usual) again in '88, and would have met in the postseason had Berry not continued to treat Tony Eason like he was Johnny Unitas.

Yep.

Makes sense when you think about both teams histories. Up until 2005, the 82 season was the only year where both made the postseason at the same time. Bengals and Pats were neither consistent enough to make the playoffs consistently during the 70’s-90’s.

As for 2005 on, well the Pats rarely play in the WC, and the Bengals have obviously never been able to pull themselves out of that round. ;)
The magic of Marvin Lewis.

Interesting I was going to guess the Browns

I am vigorously tearing up a wood post.
Let's go Patriots!!!

My guess would have been the Bills but the Bengals was one of my other choices. Could you also say that the Pats never faced the Seattle Seahawks in the playoffs when they were in the AFC?

I was sure it was Buffalo. Being born in 1973 is my excuse.

Without looking anything up, I would say the Bengals and the Browns

Ironically, the Brownies' last playoff win was against the Patriots . . . with one Bill Belichick as Browns HC. :eek:

Ironically, the Brownies' last playoff win was against the Patriots . . . with one Bill Belichick as Browns HC. :eek:
Sounds like there is some sort of karma at work there. The Browns probably won't win another playoff game until Bill has retired and is out of the league.

Sounds like there is some sort of karma at work there. The Browns probably won't win another playoff game until Bill has retired and is out of the league.
That's too bad in one respect. I wouldn't mind if their playoff appearance comes at the expense of the Ravens or Steelers...

Funny how Brady himself has played all but 4 afc teams in the playoffs. Might reduce to 3 if the Browns are as good as advertised this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes