PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Trivia: Who is the only AFC team the Pats have never faced in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joey007

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
???

The Patriots are likely the only team in the league that can say they’ve faced all but one team in their conference in the playoffs at some point in their history. But there is still one team they’ve never faced.

I think it’s a pretty incredible accomplishment and shows the consistency we’ve maintained.

???

The Patriots are likely the only team in the league that can say they’ve faced all but one team in their conference in the playoffs at some point in their history. But there is still one team they’ve never faced.

I think it’s a pretty incredible accomplishment and shows the consistency we’ve maintained.
Bengals?

???

Bengals?

Yep.

Makes sense when you think about both teams histories. Up until 2005, the 82 season was the only year where both made the postseason at the same time. Bengals and Pats were neither consistent enough to make the playoffs consistently during the 70’s-90’s.

As for 2005 on, well the Pats rarely play in the WC, and the Bengals have obviously never been able to pull themselves out of that round. ;)

Initially thought the Bills were another team, but we did face them way back in the ‘63 AFL Championship game.

Also: We were THIS close to facing them in 2015, but then Vontaze Burfict happened. :cool:

Ha! That was a wild guess. CIN is the only team that I do not remember seeing NE in the playoffs at any point...which would make sense because it hasn’t happened o_O

Yep.

Makes sense when you think about both teams histories. Up until 2005, the 82 season was the only year where both made the postseason at the same time. Bengals and Pats were neither consistent enough to make the playoffs consistently during the 70’s-90’s.

As for 2005 on, well the Pats rarely play in the WC, and the Bengals have obviously never been able to pull themselves out of that round. ;)

But we did get one of the Bengals best players ever a ring.

I freaking nailed this one. #trustme

I liked the question. Thinking it through makes for a nice stroll down memory lane.

The Patriots and Bengals also bookend the win-loss stats for the playoffs (Patriots having the best win-loss record obviously and the Bengals the worst).

Good trivia there. Thinking back without cheating I Could of swore they played them with Icky Woods? You got me.

We're not on to Cincinnati?

I narrowed it down to Buffalo and Cincy going off of memory. My memory didn't stretch back to 1963 for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Chris

Think of the NFC, the Patriots have faced half of the NFC in the playoffs,
Phil (1-1), NYG (0-2),Chi (0-1), GB (0-1), Carolina (1-0). Atl (1-0),Sea (1-0) and Rams STL/LA (2-0).
They haven't faced
Wash, Dal, Minn, Det, New Orleans, Tampa, SF or Arizona....

They have played 22/31 other teams in the playoffs....

The Patriots and Bengals also bookend the win-loss stats for the playoffs (Patriots having the best win-loss record obviously and the Bengals the worst).
How long has it been since the Bengals won a playoff game?
5 Presidents ago on Jan 8,1991 and the team they beat doesn't even exist anymore ( Houston Oilers). And the team they week the week before isn't even in the conference anymore ( Seattle) and many probably didn't know they ever were in the AFC...

I narrowed it down to Buffalo and Cincy going off of memory. My memory didn't stretch back to 1963 for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Chris
That was wayyy before my time too. I had to do research for that one. The amazing thing is that all of the AFC teams outside of Miami, Cleveland, Buffalo and Cincy have played the Pats in the playoffs during the Brady Belichick era.

Initially thought the Bills were another team, but we did face them way back in the ‘63 AFL Championship game.

Also: We were THIS close to facing them in 2015, but then Vontaze Burfict happened. :cool:
Yeah Bills was my guess... what amazes me is how many times they've played the (relatively) new teams in Jacksonville and Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back