PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade for JC Jackson

I have to imagine he's taking a pay cut or the Chargers are paying a good chunk of any owed money otherwise this isn't a great deal for us.
I'm going into this with the assumption they (the Chargers) are taking on a decent chunk of financial burden here. I'll feel differently about this move if I learn otherwise.

So basically they rented out Jackson for a year 2025 6th for Mafi, Speer, and 2025 7th?

Or they got him for next to nothing and wanted to see if he has anything left.
Well.. he should have plenty left he hasn't played much this season.. he's a guy that can play in this system he fills a need..

This is what his cap hit looks like :

9 Million this year and 14 million for the remaining 3 years. A big chunk of the package was the signing bonus (40 mill) which the Chargers suck up. Doesnt sound too bad if he plays like the old JC.

Nothing to lose. The chargers eat the signing bonus, dead money if he is cut is zero.
And we're so short of CBs, that a $9 million hit this year for a starting CB might be worth it.

Is that a prorated $9 mill for the remainder of the year? Either way surprised Bill would even take on that much of a cap hit but at this point he kind of needs to.

Not so sure it means all of that. Marcus Jones we know is likely done for the year. But even still, the depth is depleted with all three of those guys already dealing with injuries. Bill clearly saw he can't have Myles Bryant out there as a starting outside CB.
Where did you see that Marcus Jones is done for the year?

And we're so short of CBs, that a $9 million hit this year for a starting CB might be worth it.
We are down the top 4 corners. NFL rosters are built only expecting to need 4.
Even if he holds down the fort until 2 or 3 return it’s worth it.

Waste of money, this team is far from sniffing the playoffs.

9 Million this year and 14 million for the remaining 3 years. A big chunk of the package was the signing bonus (40 mill) which the Chargers suck up. Doesnt sound too bad if he plays like the old JC.
So $6 million avg for 4 years is a decent salary if he is motivated
Is it $9 million this year?

Wow! Well i hope the contract is easy to escape next year in case he is truly done. If hes anywhere near the guy he was 2018-2021 then those numbers look fine.

This is a great move, a guy who knows the system and performed well here, for a swap of a 6th & 7th two years from now. The salary is irrelevant when your top 4 CB's are all on the shelf, though reports are that LA will pay some of his 2023 salary.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back