PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats - Titans postgame thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some more line thoughts:

- The starting OL seems pretty clearly set. The trick is, that's partially because those five look damn good, and partially because no backups are rising up to challenge them. There's a sharp dropoff.

- Does anybody have any handle on the DT situation? After Guy, it looks like a heck of a muddle to me. Shelton has been looking good, and my hunch is they see intriguing material to work with in Cowart. But Pennel/Parry/Butler/NotYetOnTheRoster? No clue.

Of course there are a LOT of things to say about this practice game. But the thing that stood out to me was that the Pats seemed to have CRUSHED this draft. You know the one where I was going out of my mind last April when we drafted a feakin' WR in the first round, then followed that up by wasting a draft pick moving up to pick ANOTHER CB, and NOT a TE. THEN picking a RB when we have so many already in the 3rd, and NOT a TE. (thought I liked the Winovich pick) THEN picking another OG and a freakin' QB in the 4th, and amazingly NO TE!. By then I turned the damned thing off .

Well today the quality of the Pats draft just showed up.

1. Harry - didn't play but he's clearly a keeper.

2. Williams - improved on a good outing against a quality WR. Made a few plays and never looked outmatched

3. Harris - was the star of the game for me. He not only rushed well, will solved the short yardage issue we had last year. He cuts well and has more quickness than I expect....and the HANDS. Wow, very few of those catches were easy. If Michell AND Harris can catch the ball that well, the offense will have a new dimension this year.

4, Winovich continued his progreasion. He really DOES have a non-stop motor. Made a few plays got another sack. He'll be a special teams ace and a situational rusher this year. It will be a good start for a 3rd round pick

5. Stidham - Throws will astounding accuracy for a rookie. Even his misses are on target. Also he has great poise and pocket presence. He continues to improve. That's all you can ask. Good to see him bounce back from a negative play with that safety.

6. The Dane had an up and down game with a number of penalties and at least one whiff on pass protection, but that's to be expected

7 Cowart had at least one big rush sack that was impressive. That's good, but I'll wait for the tape review for the full picture, but that one sack didn't suck

8. Bailey's punting was impressive. His holding not so much, but that can improve. It is easy to see why he was drafted

9. Even Webster got a lot of run tonight and and didn't look out of place.

10. Meyers - who is still part of the rookie class even though he wasn't drafted, CONTINUED to stand out. Really a smooth receiver. Nothing touches his body. He's the guy who will back up Edelman on this roster. Kind of reminds me of Malcolm Mitchell, don't you think.

Other guys who did well:

#1 with a bullet of course, was Isaiah Wynn. Only played 3 series, but from what I saw, his man never even sniffed the QB on passes. He showed great quickness but with plenty of power. There was one highlight where he chipped the guard's man to slow him down, and got back to his man and stuffed him. Brought tears to my eyes.

#2. The TE's - IIRC the Pats' TE's caught at least 4 passes including a nice deep one to Izzo on a Gronk- play action pass route. Kendricks got one as well as the new guy who got 2. We don't need much more than that quite frankly

#3 Trent Harris played well I thought. ANOTHER edge guy.

Guys that disappointed

#1 Obi - got beat on that in route by Walker. But it wasn't that single play. (BTW- its a VERY tough read in cover 2 for ANY S). Now I don't how he'll be graded, but he just didn't seem involved enough for me and my expectations for him.

# The run D - I hope the first team will be better than what our run D showed tonight

#3 The penalties, Just too too many. Bill is going to freak with about a dozen penalties.

#4 Losing Rivers and Calhoun was the biggest negative I got from this game, though Rivers' injury didn't look too bad, but Calhoun's didn't look good (Edit: Calhouns say's he's OK)

#5 I actually hoped we'd lose this game. Maybe I'm crazy but going 4-0 in preseason is something the Jets and Browns did. The 0-16 Lion went 4-0 in the preseason, IIRC. Something about being 4-0 in the preseason doesn't sit well with me, and I really want to win the NEXT game, so....

General observations.

Ryan Tannehill will be the Titan's QB by mid-season. Marriota throws were soft and off the back foot most of the time. His TD pass was about the ONLY definitive ball he threw.

The Titan's D is a solid one with a nice DL. Mike is doing a good job building that program, but its going no where as long as Marriota is leading them.

God I miss Dion Lewis.

Last edited:
I went from being worried about the overall talent of this wr core before training camp, to worried which ones aren’t going to make the team. The reinstatement of Gordon makes me even more confused who’s gonna make the cut. So much potential from this group shown so far. Lot of deserving players.

The TE's - IIRC the Pats' TE's caught at least 4 passes including a nice deep one to Izzo on a Gronk- play action pass route. Kendricks got one as well as the new guy who got 2. We don't need much more than that quite frankly

I am rooting hard for Izzo to be just enough of a receiving threat to keep the defense honest, because IMO he's clearly the best blocking TE on the roster--arguably the only blocking TE.

Was hoping to see some improvement with some of the back up lineman. Right now, as it stands, the starting 5 are as solid as they come. But, it’s a long grind and we know injuries are part of the game. Definitely need to see some of the pups emerge as serviceable backups over the next few weeks.

the all important 2nd preseason game is in the books and I can finally relax...real worried about everything and everybody but...it's over now. Can't wait to go to the next preseason game and really get my paranoia ramped up for the all important GDT super meltdown festival.

Some more line thoughts:

- The starting OL seems pretty clearly set. The trick is, that's partially because those five look damn good, and partially because no backups are rising up to challenge them. There's a sharp dropoff.

- Does anybody have any handle on the DT situation? After Guy, it looks like a heck of a muddle to me. Shelton has been looking good, and my hunch is they see intriguing material to work with in Cowart. But Pennel/Parry/Butler/NotYetOnTheRoster? No clue.
From my post on 2.
"Ok in terms of the 53 I'm only looking & adding depth at OL/DL. For me rn Hoyers presence behind the scenes has to be huge to earn a spot over someone else. I'm going w the best guys at CB, RB, WR & everywhere else & not worried keeping "X" when we have a strong group in front of him. I would be very comfortable keeping 1 TE & Dev for the 1st 4 weeks.
Only positions I'm doing that for is OL/DL. It gets a little foggy a little quicker there so I want as much depth as possible there".

We have very strong groups all over. Esp if we get some luck w injuries & Gordon. Tom could be throwing to Jules, Josh, DT, Harry & Meyers to go along w all our RBs.

OL/DL we need the depth.

How much did WR Berrios play, I saw he was only targeted once for zero catches?

That target was an interception by Logan Ryan.

Harris had an absolutely filthy cut changing direction in the 2nd quarter almost taking it in for a TD.

Winovich is for real and is a pest.

Myers is looking more like another UDFA gem.

N'Keal Harry will need to work hard to be the best WR of our draft class, just sayin

OL - depth is concerning. I don't think a single back up helped their case tonight. The best of the bunch was maybe Karras but I don't recall one single player who i felt had a good game. Hopefully the starters stay healthy

RB - While I'm not looking to cut Burkhead after what I saw from Harris tonight I think it's fair to say anything Burkhead can do Harris can do better. Catch, Break outside, power run, burst away from people, ect.

WR - battle is over now that Gordon is back and Meyers has made himself uncuttable. Inman, Harris and Berrios have just not shown enough consistency IMO. They have all had their moments (particularly Harris) but not like Meyers. The only question is does DT make them carry a 6th true WR or not to open the year?

TE - I honestly don't think we carry a 2nd TE into the season. It be a very unBB like move but what would be the point? They've all shown a little bit here and there but no consistency. They carry LaCosse for the first 4 then add Watson and that's it. Develin as needed.

QB - I think they carry 3 into the year but is Hoyer > Stidham at this point? Hard to say.

DL - It is a confusing situation. Pennel with back to back lack luster games. IDK. I don't want to elevate Cowart too much due to one play either. Rivers going down could end a battle there. I thought it was him vs Calhoun for 1 spot.

LB - Munson to the PS please. Just no space. King is a STer and not a LB. I don't think his bad defensive game matters much. It will be about his STs.

CB - Jackson hasn't had the best camp/preseason. He is still a lock but I see some growing pains here. He had issues late last year too. Maybe next year he could be in some real trouble if he doesn't figure it out. Williams was a revelation tonight. IDC if Dawson is a 2nd round pick. Time to just cut him and move on.

S - After a strong start to camp Obi has cooled off. I don't think he has any chance to unseat Ebner now. Harmon being cut? No way. Brooks of course makes it for STs too and he has done the best on D of the 3 back end guys.

The 53 really took shape for me tonight.

Last edited:
Not a Skipper fan, prefer Ivey or St. Louis
Completely disagree. Skipper looked like he played most of the game at BOTH left and right OT and did another solid, if unspectacular job.

NOW I don't want him to be our starter, I'm just hoping he'll be as good as Waddle was and be a fill in for short term injuries. But here's what I do like about him. He's getting better. He's improved a LOT since I saw him in person at TC. Clearly he's been taking to Scar's coaching. I think if the season started tomorrow, Thuney would be the first choice to replace Cannon or Wynn. However as the season goes on, and if Skipper can continue to improve, then I wouldn't be shocked to see him be the Swing Tackle by mid-season.

OL - depth is concerning. I don't think a single back up helped their case tonight. The best of the bunch was maybe Karras but I don't recall one single player who i felt had a good game. Hopefully the starters stay healthy

RB - While I'm not looking to cut Burkhead after what I saw from Harris tonight I think it's fair to say anything Burkhead can do Harris can do better. Catch, Break outside, power run, burst away from people, ect.

WR - battle is over now that Gordon is back and Meyers has made himself uncuttable. Inman, Harris and Berrios have just not shown enough consistency IMO. They have all had their moments but not like Meyers. The only question is does DT make them carry a 6th true WR or not to open the year?

TE - I honestly don't think we carry a 2nd TE into the season. It be a very unBB like move but what would be the point? They've all shown a little bit here and there but no consistency. They carry LaCosse for the first 4 than add Watson and that is it. Develin as needed.

QB - I think they carry 3 into the year but is Hoyer > Stidham at this point? Hard to say.

DL - It is a confusing situation. Pennel with back to back lack luster games. IDK. I don't want to elevate Cowart too much due to one play either. Rivers going down could end a battle there. I thought it was him vs Calhoun for 1 spot.

LB - Munson to the PS please. Just no space. King is a STer and not a LB. I don't think his bad defensive game matters much. It will be about his STs.

CB - Jackson hasn't had the best camp/preseason. He is still a lock but I see some growing pains here. He has issues late last year too. Maybe next year he could be in some real trouble if he doesn't figure it out. Williams was a revelation tonight. IDC if Dawson is a 2nd round pick. Time to just cut him and move on.

S - After a strong start to camp Obi has cooled off. I don't think he has any chance to unseat Ebner now. Harmon being cut? No way. Brooks of course makes it for STs too and he has done the best on D of the 3 back end guys.

The 53 really took shape for me tonight.
a couple of thoughts on your comments.

1. I agree with you on your first 2 points, though RB depth can come and go as we saw last season. We'll keep all six because Rex and James have value as receivers as well. But next year will begin the Michell and Harris show. BTW- after Sony's 13-13 stretch catching the ball and Harris' showing tonight, I can see fantasy owners all over the country trying to trade White. He's not going to get all the RB throws THIS season.

2 As to the WR's, Thomas is going to stay on the PUP, no question. It's a big gap between running sprints and making ankle breaking cuts. I see no chance for Barrios to make this team. I know Gunner is going to the PS, but he's shown me more quickness and promise both as a WR AND a PR at this point than Braxton. He's too raw to make it this year, but with a year on the PS, he'd be a threat next year. Braxton will be a FINE WR in the XFL.

3. I think they'll keep 2 TE for September, Izzo is making this team at TE. Blocking TE is a key position in this offense and he's shown he can catch on the rare occasion that position gets thrown to. Then I think they'll keep one of the other 3 guys. So there should one extra post on offense to play with.

4. You are right on the 3 QB's. I'm not sure you are right about Stidham being better than Hoyer at this point. That being said, this WILL be Hoyer's last season backing up Tom.

5. Did Pennel even play. He was noticeable several times during the public TC, but invisible thus far in the games. Curious

6. Too harsh on JC. That PI was more about an underthrown pass. You could make a case that Jackson was playing the ball when he ran into the receiver. His head was turned. It was a bad call that rewarded a bad offensive play.

Last edited:
I'm interested to see what we do at TE. I wonder if we keep Izzo, he is a solid blocker. Not to mention, isn't LaCosse injured? Does Izzo have practice squad eligibility? Kendricks is so injury prone and Saubert is unproven, but you never know

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News