PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats swing and miss on Andre Dillard

patfanken

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
The former #22 pick of the Eagles chose to go to he Titans today.

Dillard is an interesting guy. He clearly had first round talent going into the draft, but he "slid" to #22. While in Philly he played more like Wynn, showing signs of good play, but never consistently and was often injured. Sound familiar. Today he signed for about $11MM/yr for 3 years with the Titans. He was a guy I thought we might take a flier on, but he also comes with a risk. Evidently Dillard like the Titans offer better. We shall see how it works out.

On to the next guy, McGary.

Link to transcript or audio that confirms Pats had discussion with him?

Interesting he got 11M/y, and you compare him to Wynn, who is asking for 15M/yr just as a "conversation starter"

I have a feeling today was a harsh reality check for young Mr Wynn. Too bad, because I'm rooting for him to get a really dumb deal so we come away with a nice 2024 comp pick.

The Titans only paid 3/29 for Dillard. So how 'lowball' was the Patriots actual offer to make him say no?

If Kaleb McGary is the guy the Patriots really want, PFF gave him an 86.6 rating for the past season. So maybe he's a better option but will demand a higher salary as well.

I have a feeling today was a harsh reality check for young Mr Wynn. Too bad, because I'm rooting for him to get a really dumb deal so we come away with a nice 2024 comp pick.
I'm rooting for him to enjoy his new job flipping burgers. :haha:

But on a serious note, I think somebody will pay him, just not as much as he wants. Simply because 300 lb athletes are still a rarity even if they're not as quite as good as they think they are.

The Titans only paid 3/29 for Dillard. So how 'lowball' was the Patriots actual offer to make him say no?

If Kaleb McGary is the guy the Patriots really want, PFF gave him an 86.6 rating for the past season. So maybe he's a better option but will demand a higher salary as well.
3/29 is plenty for a guy who has never been a starter in the NFL.

I'm rooting for him to enjoy his new job flipping burgers. :haha:

But on a serious note, I think somebody will pay him, just not as much as he wants. Simply because 300 lb athletes are still a rarity even if they're not as quite as good as they think they are.
He can hot tub his way out of the league entirely in 2024 and good riddance. Right now though I want some team to make a dumb mistake and net us a compensatory 3rd or 4th rounder.

This did not need its own thread and will surely attract some of the haters, who will claim that this is proof that the Patriots are not a free agency destination, without having any idea the extent of their involvement with Dillard today or how much they were willing to pay a player who has been at best a swing tackle thus far, despite his physical attributes.

Who knows how much we even offered him

I remember several free agents last year who they said we made ‘offers ‘ for and I couldn’t help but lol

No state tax down here either. That’s a big deal if they were close

The contracts handed out today are beyond stupid. $20 million a year for Jawaan Taylor when the draft could produce five day one starters at RT? $10 million a year for Andre Dillard who has the same AV as N'keal Harry? I know that Belichick's mantra of value is not popular in these parts nowadays, but some of the worst contracts I have ever seen have been signed today.

The only players I feel we've missed out on value-wise are Cam Sutton and Jamel Dean.

Interesting he got 11M/y, and you compare him to Wynn, who is asking for 15M/yr just as a "conversation starter"

Of course Wynn didn’t say that but otherwise, hohum

The former #22 pick of the Eagles chose to go to he Titans today.

Dillard is an interesting guy. He clearly had first round talent going into the draft, but he "slid" to #22. While in Philly he played more like Wynn, showing signs of good play, but never consistently and was often injured. Sound familiar. Today he signed for about $11MM/yr for 3 years with the Titans. He was a guy I thought we might take a flier on, but he also comes with a risk. Evidently Dillard like the Titans offer better. We shall see how it works out.

On to the next guy, McGary.
What is the evidence they actually wanted him?

Yeah, where is the link?? Haven’t seen any reports that we were in on Dillard…

No state tax down here either. That’s a big deal if they were close
It's really not as big a deal as people might think. 80% of the teams in the AFC have around 5% income tax. This means 6-8 games will be charged income tax per year. So, let's say that's 7. $6m / 17 = $352000 per game x .05 income tax x 7 games. $124000 in taxes he'll pay at Tennessee. If w/ the Patriots, he'd pay state tax on 14-15 games. $248000. If it were me, I'd worry about my situation with the team a lot more than I'd worry about $124k.

Three years seems like a really long contract for a guy who is four years into his career and doesn’t even have one full season worth of snaps yet.

Wow what a CRINGE twitter post! His agent should take away his client's smartphone, say with all due respect Mr. Wynn STFU and leave the negotiating to a professional who was hired to max out your salary and contract. Making salary demands through twitter just makes you look ignorant.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back