PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign RB Kenjon Barner ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see them swap Darkwa and Tate for Barner and Fowler.

Just wait a week. :)

Seriously, though, Darkwa played mostly on ST for Miami and then the Gints in 2014, then 330+ ST snaps for the Gints in 2015 (all four units). He cut back to 137 in 2016 when he started getting more carries, and was down to 62 last season, when he "broke out" at RB (he also fumbled five times in 2017, though).

I'm not sure whether or not Darkwa was any good on ST coverage units, but he might be an even swap for Fowler in that regard if he is. It's not clear to me that he'd be an upgrade over Barner at RB, though (if that even matters).

WRT Tate, it may depend on how much he has left in the tank at age 31. He seemed to decline quite a bit last season in BUF. But then, it's the Bills, so who tf knows? In any case, he has significantly more experience/success as a returner than Barner.

Losing Hill really sucks since he showed in preseason an ability to catch the football in addition to being a tough inside runner. Darkwa doesn't really pose any threat to catch the ball and Barner is not a great runner.

At the moment, with the #4RB spot, and with the #5 WR spot, it's mostly about ST abilities rather than scrimmage abilities. Darkwa and Fowler both have played extensive ST snaps on multiple units, but neither of them has the return experience that Barner does.

Burkhead and Michel both weigh 215. Both are bigger than Gillislee, who I guess people tabbed as the "big back" last season?
Burkhead is not bigger than Gillislee, nor does he play bigger than him. We'll see about the other one soon enough, we hope.

Burkhead is not bigger than Gillislee, nor does he play bigger than him. We'll see about the other one soon enough, we hope.

Pre-draft:

Burkhead = 5102/214
Gillislee = 5111/208

Gillislee was (and presumably, still is) just shy of an inch taller than Burkhead. Weight is pretty variable, of course. It's possible that they're both at around 215 now, or both around 210. I don't know that Gillislee's frame is any bigger than Burkhead's.

What I do know is that Burkhead seems to get through the line more consistently than Gillislee, probably because Burkhead is better at following his blocks. "Power" often doesn't materialize if the RB doesn't follow his blocking well.

"Power" is better measured by things like yards after contact than weight. There were running lanes Sunday that Burkhead was unable to exploit because he went down after initial contact. Hopefully he can improve on that.

"Power" is better measured by things like yards after contact than weight. There were running lanes Sunday that Burkhead was unable to exploit because he went down after initial contact. Hopefully he can improve on that.

Patterson is 6'2"/220. He rarely goes down on first contact, and he's pretty shifty. I have to wonder if McD wouldn't put him in the backfield for a run up the gut once in awhile.

I see you are full of optimism.
Well, I sometimes think Belichick's good fortune in drafting a certain tight end with back problems might have gone to his head a little, so that he doesn't give quite enough weight to injury history, certainly in a position like RB where there is constant exposure to trauma.

The best (worst) recent example of B's incaution would be Easley, but there are others.

I understand the arguments and counterexamples on the other side, so it's not a big deal to me, but it's worth a mention, I think.

Michel's effectiveness in short yardage situations is somewhat limited by his having to hop into the hole on one leg. When he goes on IR, he'll be even less effective.

Unless you’ve seen Sony Michel play recently you have no idea how effective he will be.

Last edited:
Well, I sometimes think Belichick's good fortune in drafting a certain tight end with back problems might have gone to his head a little, so that he doesn't give quite enough weight to injury history, certainly in a position like RB where there is constant exposure to trauma.

The best (worst) recent example of B's incaution would be Easley, but there are others.

I understand the arguments and counterexamples on the other side, so it's not a big deal to me, but it's worth a mention, I think.

I don't think its gone to his head per se where hes a riverboat gambler picking players. Hes still being thorough and thoughtful but taking more risks because 90% of the time they are picking in the bottom of the draft they are reaching on top talent with huge upside but yet have medical questions.

For example, if Easley's knees weren't a question he would have been a top 5 pick. I bet if Michel didn't have knee questions he would have been higher. BB chose to roll the dice on the medicals. I admit his track record is mixed.

Patterson is 6'2"/220. He rarely goes down on first contact, and he's pretty shifty. I have to wonder if McD wouldn't put him in the backfield for a run up the gut once in awhile.
Well it's on tape so I wouldn't be surprised if Josh has it in the books, but I would suspect it would be used in a limited way (1-2 carries) if at all. The only real solutions I see are Michel and Burkhead being a different player than he was Sunday. Tom cannot throw it, catch it, AND run with it....

I can see them using him on a counter draw out of the shotgun. He absolutely is part of the running game.

I don't think its gone to his head per se where hes a riverboat gambler picking players. Hes still being thorough and thoughtful but taking more risks because 90% of the time they are picking in the bottom of the draft they are reaching on top talent with huge upside but yet have medical questions.

For example, if Easley's knees weren't a question he would have been a top 5 pick. I bet if Michel didn't have knee questions he would have been higher. BB chose to roll the dice on the medicals. I admit his track record is mixed.

Even healthy college prospects may be a bigger roll of the dice than trading for a slightly older player, or signing one in free agency in March, who has some NFL experience.

Well it's on tape so I wouldn't be surprised if Josh has it in the books, but I would suspect it would be used in a limited way (1-2 carries) if at all. The only real solutions I see are Michel and Burkhead being a different player than he was Sunday. Tom cannot throw it, catch it, AND run with it....

Gisele (my signature) agrees :p

Even healthy college prospects may be a bigger roll of the dice than trading for a slightly older player, or signing one in free agency in March, who has some NFL experience.
Look at Garcia. Starts 36 of 37 games at Troy. Had 1st rd talent but keeping weight on was a concern and the competition he faced at Troy. Comes here and the poor guy develops blood clots in his lungs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes