PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

Brees didn't start his 1st year. Played just one game, really (Flutie injury mid game)

BRoth didn't start right off the bat. He's not a HoFer, anyway, especially with the extracurriculars.

MRyan is not a HoFer - I don't do borderline - Have to deal with a MIL like that. Perfect example though and what we certainly would hope for if the Pats pick a QB at #3. Depends on the maturity of the prospect... The fact that MRyan was in BC for 5 years probably helped with that.
fair enough.

coulda sworn brees started right off the bat - should have checked.

So do you believe the Patriots shouldn’t have signed a vet QB? Are you ready to roll with a QB room of Zappe and a rookie QB?

If you’re not expecting a 10 win season but you want to improve on a 4 win season then guess what…anything above 4 but less than 10 wins is MEDIOCRE.

OF COURSE the team wants to try and win in the short term while building for the future, but you need pieces in place to do that to include a vet QB presence that excepts his role as a short term starter and/or QB mentor. Any decent NFL front office understands this…Wolf and Co. are gonna roll into next season with a QB room of Zappe/rookie QB…that would be akin to criminal negligence . There’s nothing complicated to understand there.

No, it's been obvious that a veteran QB signing was needed. I said it several times: IMO, there were better veteran choices passed over for Brissett.

fair enough.

coulda sworn brees started right off the bat - should have checked.
Don't get me wrong - I mostly agree with you on having a potential rookie start as soon as possible. The problem is there are professionals who are looking to send him straight into retirement with every little wrong split second decision that gets made, especially for someone still learning a pro playbook for the 1st time. Add on the fact that a rookie will need significant preseason playing time, and that's 20 games right there. Recipe for burnout for kids used to 12 (Daniesl/Maye/Rattler/Caleb), 14 (Nix), or 15 (Penix/McC) game seasons.

Today i learned a lot of people think Jacoby Brissett is better than he is, he's not even Gardner Minshew level.

If the 3rd pick doesn't start you've gone from one of the worst 5 starting quarterbacks in football to a less pouty yet still one of the worst 5 starting quarterbacks in football.

Jacoby Brissett will only be worth the money if he's parked on the bench holding the clipboard teaching the rookie how to become a pro, we only have so many years on the planet if Mayo/Wolf want to waste a year playing JB and winning 5 games then that's one year closer to getting fired.
You realize that JB wasn't signed to be our franchise QB. He knows AVPs system and could help teach the rook or once the rookie is ready he is insurance in case of injury. I am guessing that you are youngish and spoiled by the last 20 years.

Another reason the Patriots need a veteran QB is they are installing a completely new offensive system so even the coaches are
100% familiar with it never mind the other 10 players on the field.

so the plan is to tank this year? Brissett in not a starter in this league.

No, it's been obvious that a veteran QB signing was needed. I said it several times: IMO, there were better veteran choices passed over for Brissett.
The truth is we don’t know what happened behind the scenes. There might have been contact with other QBs (Cousins, Tannyhill etc.,)

I’m sure the player personnel dept did their due diligence and ended up signing the guy that fit bill in terms of 1)culture buy in 2)cost and length of contract 3)wanting to actually come here and. 4)familiarity with NE and coaching staff

So that process obviously eliminates some QBs like Cousins and Mayfield because they want to be long term starters who get paid as such. Russell wants to be the long term guy so he’s also out. Fields was never a serious consideration for us. Maybe Tannyhill is better than Brissett, who knows if there was mutual interest. Other available QBs are level with or below Brissett so that’s a wash.

I think we did fine by grabbing Brissett for a very reasonable deal to fill a role we really need.

This is my point, the Brissett signing only looks good if the 3rd overall pick beats him out and he's the veteran backup teaching the rookie how to be a professional and you don't have pouty Mac Jones or Zappe hanging around being a bad culture fit for a young QB.

The issues and my problem with the signing is what if they say the rookie needs a year on the bench, i don't believe Jacoby Brissett is good enough to keep this Patriots roster competitive and by the time you're 1-4, 1-5 and the fanbase is restless and Mayo is instantly getting questioned and they panic and throw the rookie who they know isn't ready into a dumpster fire to settle the fanbase.

All you have to do is look at the history of Jacoby Brissett to see he's going to lose games, he doesn't win.

Teams sign Jacoby Brissett and they all love him until he actually has to play some football games and then they all want him gone :rofl:

It's more like a couple of planks of wood than a bridge.

Agree w/ Matt. It's really that simple.

Bridge guy... ok we can see what the plan is. Who's gonna be the rookie? Is it MHJ and then Nix or Penix? Trade back and JJM? Daniels or Maye?
You’ll have to wait until draft day to see that. Just like the other 31 teams will. They’re even more interested than you to find out ahead of time.

I'd say the Ghost of Cam was still kind of a beast on the ground and the Red zone so yeah he was still better.
Sorry, I’m not counting his abilities as RB to make hime the best QB.

Tommy, id rather go 4-13 than 7-10, 8-9 or whatever. You are nuts if you think Brissette is going to make this team competitive.

You'd rather not waste another year? I got some tough news for ya then... its going to happen, regardless.
So you’d rather lose than win.

Got it.

long term better for the team.
I always have this terrible analogy in my head…what is better: a nutritious Thanksgiving meal that takes hours to make or drive-thru McDonalds burger which is yummy and loaded with processed carcinogens? Interesting to see who are the drive-thru folks and why they are that way.

Jacoby Brissett is the best QB we’ve had on the Patriots roster since Tom Brady. That should tell you something….

Better option than Zappe though, that’s for sure.
I like him. He's professional, a good teammate, coaches sing his praises. He's not the best on the field but he won't hurt you very often. I hope this means we'll spend our high picks on the line, which is where we need to spend them. Brissett with a good O-line in front of him is capable of ~.500 ball which is about the most we can hope for anyway.

Would rather have Joe Flukeo or JimmyG.
Definitely not. Jimmy's cooked, and Flacco is not likely to bottle lightning again like he did last year in Cleveland.

You sure bout that? In a year when the Steelers are trotting out the corpse of Russell Wilson and Kirk Cousins gets 4 years?

Kirk. Couins.

Gets FOUR years.

Personally I'm good with Brissett over most of the guys currently out there. Most of the guys who are "better" were actually better, like, 5 years ago, but no recent body of work suggests any of them would perform better than JB7

Unless you want to suggest that we should be the ones propping up Chef Russ's desecrated remains for 17 games? Personally given those choices I'm good with Brissett. We aren't going anywhere this year regardless, after all.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back