PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

Guys, even if he did only output similarly to Mac, he will at least not turn it over constantly causing internal strife in the locker room, and he won’t be a whiny ***** about things with a constant narrative about how the Pats screwed him or didn’t give him enough “weapons” in the media every day which is a direct insult to his current teammates. Brissett is a professional and a locker room leader, he’s not being paid very much. They can still upgrade him if they want, they can start a rookie over him if they want, and if they end up starting him, they’ll at minimum get marginally better output than they got from Mac with none of the drama for only a couple million more net dollars spent. Pretty simple.

Patriots have a rookie HC, new OC, new QB coach, new OL coach, new scheme. OL will probably go through things. It'll take time to get everyone on the same page. Nobody reasonable is expecting an 11 win season.

Given all of the above, who would you prefer handle this transition, a veteran QB or a rookie (even if he's better than the vet)?

Maybe after 10 games or so, once the extended preseason is over, the rookie can take over. Official FAcy hasn't even started yet. Let's see who else they sign before panicking.
The rookie QB worked pretty well for Houston last year with a rookie HC, new OC, et. al.

Nix pro day today

Of course he did. :rolleyes: Classic good cop/bad cop PR. His camp putting it out there that he doesn't want to be on a cold-weather team wasn't by accident.
My take on it was that someone in his camp got told to STFU. Jackson Mahomes style.

If Zappe is cut, he's cut. No big deal.

Bringing in Brisett gains you nothing in the long term. short term bridge for whatever the plan is moving forward. Net gain of zero with the move.
Bringing in a vet QB to be a bridge/experienced presence in the locker room/QB room is not a net zero. Again, Jacoby playing for a season while the rookie QB sits and learns is not a negative move and doesn’t hurt the rebuild process as a whole because this process is much larger than just the QB position.

There’s absolutely zero negative with combining a vet QB presence (who knows his role) and a rookie QB who needs to learn the NFL game. Do you really want a QB room with almost no experience again? That has proven to be a disaster for us recently.

Taking the last two years Brissett got a bulk of the season as the starter vs Mac’s last two years:

Brissett
2019:
2942 yds 18 tds 6 INTs 88.0 QBR
2022: 2608 yds 12 tds 6 INTs 88:9 QBR

Jones
2022:
2997 yds 14 tds 11 INTs 84.8 QBR
2023: 2120 yds 10 tds 12 INTs 77.0 QBR

Not expecting some high scoring offense next year but maybe we win some of these close games vs losing them if we take better care of the football combined with good defense.
Mac Jones has thrown as many INTs in the last 2 seasons as Jacoby Brissett has in his entire 8 year career.

The point is simple - the numbers are very similar, with Mac playing in less games.

The one thing I will add is this - I hope I am wrong. I hope Jacoby does well. He's now the presumptive starter. For better or worse. I said the same thing about Mac. And look where we are today. Arguing about the merits of using a career back up as a starter, with guys here actually boasting about his numbers. Which just blows me away...
That just couldn't be further from the truth.

That just couldn't be further from the truth.

The numbers are similar
Mac did play less games

So, whats not true?

If its so far afield from the truth, point it out.

The rookie QB worked pretty well for Houston last year with a rookie HC, new OC, et. al.
Yes he did. Hopefully Pats are as lucky with the #3 pick. That would be awesome.

I don't know why people are so down on this signing.

Mac Jones' last 2 starts were legit worse than Brissett playing with a broken thumb as a rookie.

Last edited:
I want both. I want the rook to have both the friendly vet willing to work with him and the hyper competitive guy determined to snag the starting gig.
Well said. I’m sure this is exactly what the Pats want also.

If the rookie QB wins the job or doesn’t start until week 10 they should have a veteran who is willing to answer questions the rookie has, point things out on film to him that the rookie may not pick up. If Zappe is that guy will he even speak to the rookie QB? I’m sure it wasn’t all on Mac that the two of them couldn’t stand each other and weren’t even speaking to each other. I’m surprised Zappe is still on the team.

With the signing of Brissett I wouldn’t be surprised if they drafted Harrison at #3 and drafted a QB in the second round or traded the 3rd pick and picked one later in the 1st round.

Had to go there in the hopes you might finally understand something, anything. Didn't work.
“Because I say so” isn’t a counterpoint to my presenting stats and factual evidence Brissett is at least adequate as a bridge QB.

But you also believe player development is a hoax like bigfoot… so we can’t really have a conversation.

Last edited:
“Because I say so” isn’t a counterpoint to my presenting stats and factual evidence Brissett is at least adequate as a bridge QB.

But you also believe player development is a hoax like bigfoot… so we can’t really have a conversation.
I don't believe I said "Because I said so" once.

I believe player development is on the player and coaches. Mostly on the player. Not some mythical "mentor". You learn by doing.

I don't believe I said "Because I said so" once.

I believe player development is on the player and coaches. Mostly on the player. Not some mythical "mentor". You learn by doing.
But you don’t learn by watching another seasoned professional do their job first? Have you ever been trained by a corporate trainer?

You said he was Mac Jones, Brissett’s ratio of TD’s to Interceptions for his career is closer to 3-1 than not including rushing TD’s… Mac is closer to 1-1 the last two years… and you think that’s similar.

You also dismissed player development as not being a thing, so again… there’s not much to talk about.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back