PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats sign Jacoby Brissett

What were you hoping for
Not Jacoby. Thats what I was hoping for. Just like I was hoping for "Not Mac" a few years ago.

We trying to reset this team? Move in a different direction? Well congratz, we just pulled off a classic Belichick move with this one.

If Zappe is cut, he's cut. No big deal.

Bringing in Brisett gains you nothing in the long term. short term bridge for whatever the plan is moving forward. Net gain of zero with the move.
He's 6-8 games max before the injuries come and you are getting the rookie or the back up placeholder. Probably sooner but does depend on the revamped line. He played well for 1 1/2 games for Washington last year. Can you trust his play? Yes. Will he get hurt? Yes, he's taken a lot of shots in the League and he does play football.

He's 6-8 games max before the injuries come and you are getting the rookie or the back up placeholder. Probably sooner but does depend on the revamped line. He played well for 1 1/2 games for Washington last year. Can you trust his play? Yes. Will he get hurt? Yes, he's taken a lot of shots in the League and he does play football.
"placeholder" - good word.

That sums up perfectly why this is such a Meh signing to me.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a veteran place holder in the most vital role on the team.

The keyword here is trust. Even as a placeholder until the rook is ready this staff trusts Brissett to run the offense.

The point is simple - the numbers are very similar, with Mac playing in less games.

The one thing I will add is this - I hope I am wrong. I hope Jacoby does well. He's now the presumptive starter. For better or worse. I said the same thing about Mac. And look where we are today. Arguing about the merits of using a career back up as a starter, with guys here actually boasting about his numbers. Which just blows me away...
Numbers are very similar like you said with the exception of Mac turning the ball over at a higher rate. Brissett is simply here to buy the rookie time if he needs it and to run an offense that won’t turn the ball over as frequently. Both Mac and Zappe turned the ball over too much. Limit the turnovers pull a few more wins this season and hopefully become a more desirable free agent destination in 2025.

Numbers are very similar like you said with the exception of Mac turning the ball over at a higher rate. Brissett is simply here to buy the rookie time if he needs it and to run an offense that won’t turn the ball over as frequently. Both Mac and Zappe turned the ball over too much. Limit the turnovers pull a few more wins this season and hopefully become a more desirable free agent destination in 2025.
Mac imploded last year with the ints. Brisette really has no upside that I can see.

The rookie QB will be the draw, not Brisett.

Not Jacoby. Thats what I was hoping for. Just like I was hoping for "Not Mac" a few years ago.

We trying to reset this team? Move in a different direction? Well congratz, we just pulled off a classic Belichick move with this one.
Its all good when Kraft Inc makes the move though.

He played CLE's WC schemes and has some mobility. I think Daniels is a better fit.
Kinda old aint he?

Etpob1GXUAUYN8G.jpg

does this mean they are taking maye or daniels?

Of course it does. And Daniels doesn't want to come to New England so naturally, he's the one. :(

Here's the reason why I don't like J Biscuit he has played on Teams with very good WR's and didn't do Diddly squat. He's not coming to a Team who's established at WR I'm not fond of this move. J Biscuit is not going to make our #3 and #4 WR's remarkably better.

Last edited:
"placeholder" - good word.

That sums up perfectly why this is such a Meh signing to me.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a veteran place holder in the most vital role on the team.

It's like they're deliberately planning to mail it in this season. Keep your fingers crossed the OL comes together better than expected because if not, a Brissett injury could force the rookie into action before he's ready. And the last thing we want is a rookie getting hammered behind a shaky OL. That's why I wanted them to take a flyer on Fields -- athletic, strong arm, can gain yards with his legs. I wonder if the Patriots inquired about him.

It's like they're deliberately planning to mail it in this season. Keep your fingers crossed the OL comes together better than expected because if not, a Brissett injury could force the rookie into action before he's ready. And the last thing we want is a rookie getting hammered behind a shaky OL. That's why I wanted them to take a flyer on Fields -- athletic, strong arm, can gain yards with his legs. I wonder if the Patriots inquired about him.
I want the rookie in there. Strive for success. There will be bumps on that path, for sure. But take this team and make it his own.

For reference: CJ Stroud.

I want the rookie in there. Strive for success. There will be bumps on that path, for sure. But take this team and make it his own.

For reference: CJ Stroud.

Stroud had an OL and tools to work with. This Patriots offense is starting from scratch and isn't set up for a rookie QB. That's why I wanted them to trade down, build offensive infrastructure THEN draft a quarterback later or next season.

Stroud had an OL and tools to work with. This Patriots offense is starting from scratch and isn't set up for a rookie QB. That's why I wanted them to trade down, build offensive infrastructure THEN draft a quarterback later or next season.
Well, thats your road map, my man. Build the trenches. Success will follow.

I wonder too and I don't see more than a 5th or 4th tops for him after the Mac deal.

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/10: News and Notes
MORSE: Draft Analysis and Thoughts on Patriots Rookie Mini Camp
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/9: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/8: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 5/7: News and Notes
What Did Tom Brady Say During His Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
Back