PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Decker for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am ok with the deal since it is only one year, but I was never a huge fan of Decker because he tends to come up small in big situations.
Who asked you?
doomsdaymachine_386.jpg

Not by itself, it's not. Type of routes, depth of target and (obviously) the QB, are all factors, too.

In 2016, Hogan's catch rate was 65.5% with a ypc of 17.9 yds, and 34% YAC. That's an excellent catch rate for that average target depth.

In 2017, Hogan's catch rate was 57.6% with a ypc of 12.9 yds, but 40% YAC.

With Gronk and Cooks available to cover the deeper target range, and with the absence of intermediate target range players (Bennett, Edelman, and Mitchell from 2016, with the latter two removed suddenly at the last minute), Hogan was covering significantly more intermediate range routes than he did in 2016. And he was struggling a bit with them. In contrast, Amendola (more practiced in those routes) had a 71% catch rate at nearly the identical depth of target, but with a lower YAC %.
Question: are you calculating depth of target as ypc minus yac?
I get the logic and agree with your analysis with one exception. (If that’s your method). It could blur the conclusion because that is average depth of completion not average depth of target.
In other words, if Amendola and hogan were similar on completions but hogan had a number of deep incompletions (which is a possibility) then you analysis would have a bit of a flaw.
Aside from picking that nit, totally agree.

Interesting, Mike Reiss views him as the 5th receiver on the depth chart (4th without Edelman).

Looks like a strong overall group to me however it shakes down. Now let's do something about linebacker depth -- please.

Decker not at practice nor has he been assigned a number. Maybe not signed just yet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
Back