PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign Chargers FA safety Steve Gregory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, San Diego has been relevant since.....about 2007? :confused:

And having been a starter for exactly one entire season and racking up zero Pro Bowls, he has definitely established himself as one of the top tier safeties in the NFL.

I'm not sure what Pro Bowls have to do with you calling the signing "under the radar", but Gregory started every game he played in 2010, and he started 13 of 15 last year, and this was done on a team that gets a fair amount of attention.

Given the sad state of safety last season this is a decent step in improving the unit, but it is still far from done, Ihedigbo and Brown are ST players, nothing more, I hope i never see them in coverage again. I think Ihedigbo gave it all he had but simply cannot cover, I think that's the first time I have ever seen a safety who is playing regularly never make a play on a pass.

I'd like to see I-Dowling moved to free safety to go with Chung and Gregory, and add another either in free agency or the draft. There is a long long long way to go in this offseason and the opportunities to upgrade their weakest unit will be there.

The scouting reports on Gregory are pretty good but the Chargers were still looking to upgrade at safety so he isn't "the answer." That said I like the re-sign of Connolly and the Fanene and Gregory signings. Nothing flashy but good solid moves.

The only free safety left available in unrestricted free agency to my knowledge that is worth anything is Reggie Nelson. I seriously suspect the New England Patriots will draft a safety either in the first round in the 2012 NFL Draft or with the second round draft pick acquired from Oakland in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Nelson will ask for a lot of money, and he isnt the only FS left that is worth something.

Matt Giordano from the Raiders is also a FA, and had 5 INT this last season. He is also a big hitter, and has a good 40 of 4.54.
Made a big play in SB 41. Matt Giordano - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Super Bowl XLI

Giordano had a big play in the Colts victory over the Bears. Giordano came in late in the 4th Quarter on an injury substitution. And on 4th and Nine for the bears, it was Giordano's big hit that dislodged the ball from Clark, to end the Bears hope for a comeback.

Giordano's highlights Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Eugene Wilson
and he got a SB ring as a rookie

Yep. BB has no problem starting rookies in the secondary as long as they know what they are doing. Hobbs in 2005. Wilson in 2003. DMc in 2010. Hell even Butler started 5 games in 2009.

The scouting reports on Gregory are pretty good but the Chargers were still looking to upgrade at safety so he isn't "the answer." That said I like the re-sign of Connolly and the Fanene and Gregory signings. Nothing flashy but good solid moves.
The San Diego Chargers need a strong safety while Steve Gregory is a free safety. I don't understand why the San Diego Chargers are not interested in Laron Landry.

Dowling needs to stay at corner. He was too good in coverage at UVA to have him play safety. Just because he's the right size doesn't mean safety is the best position for him.

Safety is just going to be a tough position to address this year. Gregory is a nice step, but more of a James Sanders type than an everyday starter. The draft doesn't impress me at all. I'm not a fan of Harrison Smith, who is more of a SS, or Barron.

True, my bad. But it's not like he had a bunch of scrubs on defense that year.

After Harris started vs BUF Week 1 BB saw enough....

Having Rodney tell Geno where to line up and Poole and Law play man-to-man and a wicked pass rush helped too.

The San Diego Chargers need a strong safety while Steve Gregory is a free safety. I don't understand why the San Diego Chargers are not interested in Laron Landry.

My understanding is that gregory started alongside with weddle. It may be they were looking for a bigger safety but it also sounded like they wanted to upgrade at the position. I'm fine with the signing I just don't see him as a lock answer at the spot across from Chung. Good solid signing, adds depth and improves the unit.

Because the Chargers have a lot of holes that are higher priorities. They already had acquire two WR. They need a new OT and NT because they released older, overpriced players. They are hoping that Darrell Stuckey will step up into the position. Besides, they may not want to sign a SS with injury concerns after wasting their time singing Bob Sanders last year.

My understanding is that gregory started alongside with weddle.
The injury prone Bob Sanders started the season at strong safety.

It may be they were looking for a bigger safety but it also sounded like they wanted to upgrade at the position.
San Diego or New England? :confused:

I'm fine with the signing I just don't see him as a lock answer at the spot across from Chung. Good solid signing, adds depth and improves the unit.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the 2012 NFL Draft to resolve the safety issue for the New England Patriots. Steve Gregory seems like a stop gap, in case of injuries.

Besides, they may not want to sign a SS with injury concerns after wasting their time singing Bob Sanders last year.
Neither should the New England Patriots, especially after Chung missed a number of games this past season. I'm not sold on Laron Landry resolving the New England Patriots pass defense deficiencies.

LOL the bodybuilder certainly will not improve much the Pats secondary.

Matt Giordano FS FA from the Raiders had a good year last year, with 5 INT. He will be an improvement over Ihedigbo and Sergio Brown.
Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

Gregory is no star but he is a solid player to add to a horrendously weak position. I'm not too sure how much better they could have done at safety considering what is available.

Gregory is no star but he is a solid player to add to a horrendously weak position. I'm not too sure how much better they could have done at safety considering what is available.
Reggie Nelson?

LOL the bodybuilder certainly will not improve much the Pats secondary.

Matt Giordano FS FA from the Raiders had a good year last year, with 5 INT. He will be an improvement over Ihedigbo and Sergio Brown.
Matt Giordano - Career Highlights - YouTube

How many of those picks were actually a notable play by him rather than being in the right place at the right time on a bad throw?

Reggie Nelson?

Reggie Nelson being the best FS on the market is probably going to get top 5-10 safety money. That is a lot of money for a player who has been a disappointment for most of his career and had arguably his best season in a contract year. I look at Nelson as probably being way too costly to take a risk on that he has actually turned around his career.

Now if he signs elsewhere for less, then maybe the Pats should have taken a chance on him. But the Bengals made it a priority to keep him and he so far has turned them down. He may be looking for big bucks with 4-5 other teams looking at him.

How many of those picks were actually a notable play by him rather than being in the right place at the right time on a bad throw?

I guess you could say the same for 90% of all INTs in NFL. Those making the INT are just being in the right place at the right time on a bad throw.

Giordano at least can be in the right place at the right time, and will surely be an improvement over Ihedigbo and Sergio Brown. He will very probably not ask for the kind of money Reggie Nelson is looking at.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back