PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats reportedly have received a preliminary offer for JG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
These reports are ridiculous. Nobody knows what will happen except Belichick.

When Green Bay decided Aaron Rodgers was the guy, the tried to get Favre to retire, and when he wouldn't, traded him to the Jets.

If Belichick really believes Garroppolo is "the guy", there is no way you let him go. You'd keep him this year, then move on from Brady next off season.

If you don't think he's "the guy", then you trade him this offseason.

Adam Schefter doubles-down on Jimmy Garoppolo report on WEEI

' "but I am just telling you Jimmy Garoppolo is going to be on the Patriots in 2017 no matter who calls them and what anybody offers,” (Schefter) he said '

Who's buying that? CLE has more than enough picks to make an offer we can't refuse.

If they're seriously considering using their #1 overall on Mitch Trubisky, then they may as well offer it for Jimmy G.

When Green Bay decided Aaron Rodgers was the guy, the tried to get Favre to retire, and when he wouldn't, traded him to the Jets.

If Belichick really believes Garroppolo is "the guy", there is no way you let him go. You'd keep him this year, then move on from Brady next off season.

Overall I agree with you. However, Brady's current contract makes that very hard to do because of the 2018 cap hit if Brady is cut/traded after the 2017 season.

And given that NE extended Brady's contract (which originally ended after the 2017 season) -- and thus created the situation where JG has to leave after the 2017 season at the latest -- that would seem to at least somewhat indicate that BB doesn't actually believe JG is "the guy".

Last edited:
My take FWIW
All the reasons not to trade Jimmy G:
-IF Brady goes down can Jacoby lead this team to a Super Bowl? He seems like a nice project but not that impressive playing. The Pats have had a lot of backup QB's and none of them have become top 10 NFL QB's. So to think they got one in Jimmy G and then found another in Jacoby seems unlikely?
- If they trade Jimmy G then in the next year or 2 they will need to draft a QB, probably in the first or second round in the next few years so you get a First this year and a first or second next year your drafting what you hope might be Jimmy G next year so your really only adding this years first rounder.
-# of QB's outside of George Blanda (Played to 48 but never threw the ball and different era) that played as an NFL Starter past age 42 and started at least 8 games after age 42 as a QB: ZERO, ZILCH, NONE
-You must assume Brady has 2-3 years left maximum-Whether accurate or not based on history 42 is the limit, I get the Brady regiment/lifestyle but as a GM/coach you must plan to replace him in 2 years.
-At age 40 Favre had a rating of 107.2, at age 41 rating of 69.9
-1-2 years of Franchising Jimmy G and he takes over at age 27-29, e,g, Rodger is 33, Brees in 38 etc., so you get minimum 5 years of Jimmy G as a prime starter, likely closer to 10 years. Remember he has no wear and tear as a starter for all the years before and QB's ar eprotected so playing until he's 37-38 is reasonable.
-Brady may want to play to 45, but cutting bait with him at 42 and moving on is logical, a declining Brady (He will decline 43-45) vs. a prime Garoppolo and 10 years of Jimmy G?
-QB is the most important position in all the professional sports and the 1 position that decidedswhether your a perennial year in and out Playoff contender,
-He looks like top 10 QB, Factoring Bill B quotes and insider quotes and eye test
-It does not seem in the Patriot MO that WIN NOW means get high first round draft pick now in exchange for the future. They do not "WIN NOW"
-Bill and the Kraft's have always wanted to be a perennial year in and out playoff team, to trade 10 years of Jimmy G for 1 or 2 younger players to help win in the "Brady Window" does not fit their MO at all

Reasons to Trade Jimmy G
-You don't think he's a top 10 NFL QB
-If you don't plan on him taking over you maximize assets for him this year, say you get the #12 and a conditional second to be a first next year if certain things happen.
-Whomever you get this year in the draft will help you WIN NOW:
-You really love Jacoby as much as Jimmy G

Summary
-People are enamored with draft picks, there is also a "Brady Window" people feel we need to maximize championships. However, The Patriots want to be good after Brady is done, QB is the #1 way to do that. The Pats still have plenty of draft capital in this draft and plenty of cap space. If Jimmy G is a top 10 NFL Starting QB in the Patriots minds he IS the successor to Brady after 1-2 more seasons, case closed.
- 5 QB's in 2016 had a rating over 100, only 10 had rating over 95. Only 3 had a QBR over 80 and only 8 had a QBR over 70. So in the whole NFL there are 3-5 Franchise QB's and 8-10 Very Good QB's. The odds of Jacoby or another QB being a top 10 QB are Verrrry Looooooong compared to the odds of Jimmy G.
-It would take Cleveland's #1 overall, Cleveland's #1 next year and a Cleveland Second the year after with a condition it becomes a first to even thing about it. Will they do that? I doubt it-thus I completely see Schefter being correct on this and he absolutely has sources inside New England and I believe there thinking matches above.

This is comical.

Not even a week ago, Shefter said that Patriots will decline any offer.

If there is a single person out there who thinks that ANY of these reporters have ANY actual clue of what's going on with Jimmy's situation, please PM, I am a Nigerian prince in need of money. I will repay you later.

Mary Kay Cabot is getting her info from sources inside the Cleveland organization, not the Pats.. She is more likely to have accurate information because their organization doesn't have the discipline the Pats one does.

Last edited:
Trading him is the right thing for the Pats and for Jimmy.

Jimmy deserves to be given a shot at starting. He'll probably be a top 10 QB. Sitting on the bench is wasting his career as well as his earnings potential.

Imagine if you take out Brady's first 4 years -- he'd no longer be called the GOAT by anyone. That applies to most QBs -- take out Bledsoe's first four years, and most Pats fans would have no idea who he was.

Not that any of that matter matters to BB, but Jimmy seems like a nice enough guy that as a fan I'd want him to do well (except when playing against us).

For the Pats:
Pats already have capable backup in Brissett if Jimmy leaves.
If you trade Jimmy, you get a 1st round pick -- one that can be an immediate starter -- plus perhaps other picks.

If you keep Jimmy -- the odds about 7% that he gets used in meaningful games (Brady's career missed game due to injury %). Further, the benefit of Jimmy would be the difference between how Jimmy would do and how Brissett would do.

To me its a no brainer that a starting player for 5 years + Brissett at backup is much better than Jimmy as backup for one more year.

My take FWIW
-IF Brady goes down can Jacoby lead this team to a Super Bowl? He seems like a nice project but not that impressive playing. The Pats have had a lot of backup QB's and none of them have become top 10 NFL QB's. So to think they got one in Jimmy G and then found another in Jacoby seems unlikely?
- If they trade Jimmy G then in the next year or 2 they will need to draft a QB, probably in the first or second round in the next few years so you get a First this year and a first or second next year your drafting what you hope might be Jimmy G next year so your really only adding this years first rounder.
-# of QB's outside of George Blanda (Played to 48 but never threw the ball and different era) that played as an NFL Starter past age 42 and started at least 8 games after age 42 as a QB: ZERO, ZILCH, NONE
-You must assume Brady has 2-3 years left maximum-Whether accurate or not based on history 42 is the limit, I get the Brady regiment/lifestyle but as a GM/coach you must plan to replace him in 2 years.
-1-2 years of Franchising Jimmy G and he takes over at age 27-29, e,g, Rodger is 33, Brees in 38 etc., so you get minimum 5 years of Jimmy G as a prime starter, likely closer to 10 years. Remember he has no wear and tear as a starter for all the years before and QB's ar eprotected so playing until he's 37-38 is reasonable.
-Brady may want to play to 45, but cutting bait with him at 42 and moving on is logical, a declining Brady (He will decline 43-45) vs. a prime Garoppolo and 10 years of Jimmy G?
-QB is the most important position in all the professional sports and the 1 position that decidedswhether your a perennial year in and out Playoff contender,
-He looks like top 10 QB, Factoring Bill B quotes and insider quotes and eye test
-It does not seem in the Patriot MO that WIN NOW means get high first round draft pick now in exchange for the future. They do not "WIN NOW"
-Bill and the Kraft's have always wanted to be a perennial year in and out playoff team, to trade 10 years of Jimmy G for 1 or 2 younger players to help win in the "Brady Window" does not fit their MO at all

Reasons to Trade Jimmy G
-If you don't plan on him taking over you maximize assets for him this year, say you get the #12 and a conditional second to be a first next year if certain things happen.

Summary
-People are enamored with draft picks, there is also a "Brady Window" people feel we need to maximize championships. However, The Patriots want to be good after Brady is done, QB is the #1 way to do that. The Pats still have plenty of draft capital in this draft and plenty of cap space. If Jimmy G is a top 10 NFL Starting QB in the Patriots minds he IS the successor to Brady after 1-2 more seasons, case closed.
- 5 QB's in 2016 had a rating over 100, only 10 had rating over 95. Only 3 had a QBR over 80 and only 8 had a QBR over 70. So in the whole NFL there are 3-5 Franchise QB's and 8-10 Very Good QB's. The odds of Jacoby or another QB being a top 10 QB are Verrrry Looooooong compared to the odds of Jimmy G.
-It would take Cleveland's #1 overall, Cleveland's #1 next year and a Cleveland Second the year after with a condition it becomes a first to even thing about it. Will they do that? I doubt it-thus I completely see Schefter being correct on this and he absolutely has sources inside New England and I believe there thinking matches above.

You put far too much weight into stats and overlook the non-tangible assets..
- The Pats are extremely high on Brissett. So why do you think they would need to use a 1st or 2nd to get ANOTHER QB to develop behind him? Makes no sense.
- Brady is in a different class of athlete. Not sure if it was hyperbole or not, but in a recent interview with Peter King, Brady said that he wasn't sore at all from the SB. He's mentioned how he's learned to take hits and learned how to fall so that his body doesn't take near the pounding it used to.
- Why is 42 the magic number? Because no one else has done that? Brady isn't like anyone else that has come before him.
- Brett Favre was a gun-slinger. Not a pocket QB. Furthermore, but all accounts, Brady's arm strength is better now than it was when even a few years ago.

You make far too many assumptions regarding what will happen to Brady and ignore everything that has made him what he is..

Get rid of the QB who has won two of the last three Super Bowls for his backup, great idea. While they are at it Belichick should retire and turn the team over to one of his sons.

The reason why jimmy g's value is not as high as some of us think is because good qbs on a rookie contract give a team a 4-5 year window to win a superbowl by getting good qb play and spending a fortune on the team around them. Think big ben, flacco, wilson, luck, newton, colin k, dak p.. all made runs on their first contract. Once you pay them the big bucks it gets much harder to win. Jimmy g is not going to give a team 5 years to spend on the rest of the team. He has to be the man right away. Even brady won rings that way to start his career but he was good enough to win it as the man as well. Not many are.

This works for every position BUT QB. The gulf between a pro-caliber QB and the imposters is enormous, and getting worse, not better. Witness the Raiders when Carr went down.

Also, it takes years for a QB to be truly good - a skilled DE can change a game in year 1. Very rare for a QB. having four years cheap on a QB gives you three years to figure out if he's any good.

Cleveland has 110 million in cap space. If they have any desire to turn things around, they need a QB. Is Jimmy G that QB? We don't know yet - sample size too small - but I'd take those odds and the money involved (even if I had to franchise him twice) over the odds that Trubitsky, or whatever his name is, will be.

There's no Andrew Luck in this draft. Jimmy G, even with that small sample size, would be the number 1 or 2 pick if he was in this draft without a doubt.

My take FWIW

Reasons to Trade Jimmy G

Summary

Dude that was a long post but you left out arguably the most crucial thing: JG's contract runs out this year. He is not going to sign with the Pats unless he is guaranteed the starting job no later than 2019 PLUS gets a max contract. Neither of those things are going to happen.

So if the Browns say they are considering Trubisky at #1 overall, and as some have suggested, that means they should be willing to give up #1 over all, would BB take that offer as soon as it is allowed, or hold out for more?

I would think if it is possible to get #1 over all, then the Pats could squeeze out a bit more, but there would be a lot of value with BB having more time to be able to look closer at the top prospects and work the phones on trade downs.

Please BB do the right thing. Trade Jimmy.

He will do the right thing, but who are we to say whether it is trade or keep? We have no idea what the specifics are on the table.

So if the Browns say they are considering Trubisky at #1 overall, and as some have suggested, that means they should be willing to give up #1 over all, would BB take that offer as soon as it is allowed, or hold out for more?

I would think if it is possible to get #1 over all, then the Pats could squeeze out a bit more, but there would be a lot of value with BB having more time to be able to look closer at the top prospects and work the phones on trade downs.
They may like trubisky more than Jimmy g overall.

Overall I agree with you. However, Brady's current contract makes that very hard to do because of the 2018 cap hit if Brady is cut/traded after the 2017 season.

And given that NE extended Brady's contract -- which originally ended after the 2017 season -- and thus created the situation where JG has to go after the 2017 season at the latest, that would seem to at least somewhat indicate that BB doesn't actually believe JG is "the guy".
drafting Brissett supports this idea too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes