PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats reportedly have received a preliminary offer for JG...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Realistically as soon as #12 is involved you can forget any future first round pick from the Browns.

If you really want one for 2018 (and I do) I'd be happy about 33, 56 and next year's first conditionally where it downgrades to a 2nd if Jimmy doesn't reach whatever goal (10 games played, blah).

With a draft so deep I'd rather have multiple additional picks in the top 50 than a #12 where it's not clear how easy it will be to trade down from.

BB looking for DEs...I want #1 (Cleveland) or #2 (San Fran).

Mwahaha!

The reason why jimmy g's value is not as high as some of us think is because good qbs on a rookie contract give a team a 4-5 year window to win a superbowl by getting good qb play and spending a fortune on the team around them. Think big ben, flacco, wilson, luck, newton, colin k, dak p.. all made runs on their first contract. Once you pay them the big bucks it gets much harder to win. Jimmy g is not going to give a team 5 years to spend on the rest of the team. He has to be the man right away. Even brady won rings that way to start his career but he was good enough to win it as the man as well. Not many are.

True but teams without a quality QB are spinning their wheels until they get one no matter how good the rest of the team is. There just aren't that many good QBS, if you think JG is one a couple of draft picks even high ones isn't too high a price to pay.

There is talk that Brandin Cooks will be traded for the 16th pick in the draft. If that is true then Jimmy is worth a 1 and 2 this year or a 1 with a 1st next year.

Sure Cooks is good but there are plenty of decent receivers. A good QB can transform your franchise for 10 years.

I actually don't want to trade Jimmy. I think he is the real deal and I would prefer to find a way to do a succession. Imagine that feeling as we watch him tear up the league for the next decade. We better get a boat load of picks.

Up to now did not think that Jimmy G would be worth a 1st round pick, but now am starting to change my mind.. the pool of talent for QB's is small, comparatively speaking.

If we do get a first do not be surprised if that pick is turned into several #2's and other picks.. the one thing we have learned about BB and the draft is that things happen which we usually do not expect..

Guys like Hoyer, Mallett and Cassell have all looked pretty good here, but seem to have difficulty when they leave the confines of the "Gillette incubator"..

this suks. i want the pats to keep jimmy g.

As do I. But how?

Realistically you have to trade Brady or franchise Jimmy twice in a row and hope Brady retires at the end. And by that time, he'd probably be so bitter, he wouldn't even re-sign with the team. Plus he'd be 29, through a big chunk of his prime, so are you ready to give him a huge contract then?

The other alternative is Brady gets a career-ending injury.

None of these scenarios is a good thing. If Jimmy is starting for us, something bad has happened to Brady.

So we can't keep him long term unless something bad happens to Brady. So why keep him at all? Well, I would be okay with it if they don't get a huge offer. Keeping him is like home insurance. If something bad happened to Brady, it's like your house burning down, but you could start over with Jimmy. It won't be as nice and comfy, it won't be as familiar, you'd miss a lot of things you couldn't replace, but you would be okay. But ideally, it doesn't happen.

On an unnamed source, the pats will do something with garapalo

The reason why jimmy g's value is not as high as some of us think is because good qbs on a rookie contract give a team a 4-5 year window to win a superbowl by getting good qb play and spending a fortune on the team around them. Think big ben, flacco, wilson, luck, newton, colin k, dak p.. all made runs on their first contract. Once you pay them the big bucks it gets much harder to win. Jimmy g is not going to give a team 5 years to spend on the rest of the team. He has to be the man right away. Even brady won rings that way to start his career but he was good enough to win it as the man as well. Not many are.

Rubbish.

The cap is $167m and going up. With his first deal Jimmy G will be $15m/yr or so.

If you can't win with your franchise QB consuming only 9% of the cap your GM is horrible.

Last edited:
IMO, which at this point from Shefter all the way to me we are all guessing, I'd say either JG is here or somebody breaks the bank for him. Bill could probably win the World Series of Poker. Nobody is going to bluff him and they're all afraid to call his bluff. He doesn't have to sell and without a premium package there's more value with JG here as insurance.

I also think if he's traded it's done the night of the draft. Let's say hypothetically it's the Browns and the package does include #12. The Pat's want a LB and the Ravens sitting a few positions back to as well. Knowing the Pats have #12 they trade up to #11. With the draft night trade no dice.

Third, the least he's traded for is a #1 and a #2.

[ the Fan, post: 4975847, member: 3363"]On an unnamed source, the pats will do something with garapalo[/QUOTE]
I have a name.

I love the news release of the Browns thinking about Trubisky with #1 pick. Like telling the world Jimmy G is also worth #1 to their fans to get them off their backs when it all goes down.

The Patriots hold all the cards. They have the most valuable commodity in football. They have him for incredibly cheap money next year. They have him under team control for up to 3 years if they choose. There is no monetary reason to trade him now, the issue is, at least in most people's thinking, this is the point he has the most trade value, because he is no longer incredibly cheap after next year. They also have another young backup quarterback already on the roster. I would be surprised if they didn't trade him this year, but truthfully, we are all guessing at what these other teams are offering and what his actual value to those other teams is. If the offers suck, then why trade him, he has definite value to the Pats as a backup qb. Additionally, there will be offers next year if the Pats franchise him. In the end though, it just makes so much more sense for the teams to break the bank to get him asap. But there is a reason why teams like the Browns suck year after year after year.

Definitely would want multiple picks, to me seems like Cleveland and San Fran would be the perfect partner.

Looks like the Pats are in win/win situition with Jimmy G. I'm fine with the Patriots either keeping him or trading him for some high picks.

And at this time I think we should thank roger goodell for giving Jimmy the opportunity to showcase his abilities and drive up his asking price during another championship season

Realistically as soon as #12 is involved you can forget any future first round pick from the Browns.

If you really want one for 2018 (and I do) I'd be happy about 33, 56 and next year's first conditionally where it downgrades to a 2nd if Jimmy doesn't reach whatever goal (10 games played, blah).

With a draft so deep I'd rather have multiple additional picks in the top 50 than a #12 where it's not clear how easy it will be to trade down from.
Very good point. It's a deep draft, and the needs the Pats do have mostly align with the positions of strength in this draft. May be wise to trade for a couple picks in the top 75 and also maybe package a couple mid-round picks to trade up for another top 75 pick. Then take pot shots late in the draft.

With a plethora of top 75 picks, the Pats could really stock up at their need positions.

All 4 teams in the AFC/NFC Championships had QBs on 2nd+ contracts. I think that was the deal last year too.
So how much harder has it been for these teams?

Geting to serious playoff contention with a 1st contract QB is the Exception, not the Rule.

All 4 teams in the AFC/NFC Championships had QBs on 2nd+ contracts. I think that was the deal last year too.
So how much harder has it been for these teams?

Geting to serious playoff contention with a 1st contract QB is the Exception, not the Rule.

As a counterpoint I give you Jared Goff, and the Rams controlling him cheaply for 4 more years.

On second thought, let's not consider Goff.....

I just heard Curran talking about this on WEEI. I like his take a lot.

Paraphrasing, ' The Pats like JG but if someone wants to break the bank they'll take it'. That is a great position to take.

Two firsts?? Will it get that high?

Edit: Nobody would fault the Pats for holding on to JG and nobody would fault the Pats for taking a bank breaking offer either.
Nope, and the beautiful thing is that everything you just said gives Bill Belichick even MORE leverage

As a counterpoint I give you Jared Goff, and the Rams controlling him cheaply for 4 more years.

On second thought, let's not consider Goff.....
Let's give goff a chance with a real offensive system and coaching staff before we kill the guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore