PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Pats re-sign Hunter Henry

I’m good with it. He was the best player in offense last year. They need to get better, but HH is not why they sucked. Let’s hope he’s the floor on this offense going forward.

Not bad! Maybe a very slight overpay, but not by much.

So his first deal was 3 years for up $37.5m back in 2021, when he was 3 years younger and the salary cap was $182.5m. 2024 cap is 40% higher, max value of his new deal is 20% lower. Smells about right to me.

So his first deal was 3 years for up $37.5m back in 2021, when he was 3 years younger and the salary cap was $182.5m. 2024 cap is 40% higher, max value of his new deal is 20% lower. Smells about right to me.
This is probably a two year deal with a third tacked on for cap purposes.

He was the best TE available on the free agent market, but he's also up there in age.

Not bad! Maybe a very slight overpay, but not by much.

Well seems like we overpaid somewhat but the tight end options were pretty slim.

This is about right to me, good value.

I am guessing Henry wanted more, but once he saw that Schultz, who is the superior and younger player, got $13M per year, he had to adjust his expectations. Around $9M per year with the chance at $10M per year max value seems very fair.

Henry has been a great receiver for the Patriots and a very good locker room leader. His blocking is not elite, but it's not horrid. I think returning Henry + Pharaoh Brown and maybe kicking the tires on one more young free agent with upside like Noah Fant or Harrison Bryant would be a good plan. Lets them not have to worry about TE in the draft.

Jacoby Brissett loves his TEs

Not a bad deal at all. Hopefully an indicator that we aren't the most dysfunctional organization in football that has to pay double market price for players after all.

This is about right to me, good value.

I am guessing Henry wanted more, but once he saw that Schultz, who is the superior and younger player, got $13M per year, he had to adjust his expectations. Around $9M per year with the chance at $10M per year max value seems very fair.

Henry has been a great receiver for the Patriots and a very good locker room leader. His blocking is not elite, but it's not horrid. I think returning Henry + Pharaoh Brown and maybe kicking the tires on one more young free agent with upside like Noah Fant or Harrison Bryant would be a good plan. Lets them not have to worry about TE in the draft.
Roughly 13.5 AAV for him is a slight raise from what he was making, he's worth it. He played great for us even with a terrible QB situation.

Well seems like we overpaid somewhat but the tight end options were pretty slim.
Eh, but do remember the team salary cap has skyrocketed this year. You could equate this deal to being more like 7 million per year in 2021.

For an above average starting TE, I'm good with it.

Eh, but do remember the team salary cap has skyrocketed this year. You could equate this deal to being more like 7 million per year in 2021.

For an above average starting TE, I'm good with it.
Agreed. I guess at first glance it seems like a bigger number than I was expecting but Henry has been one of the few steady spots on offense the last year and a half and without many other options in free agency and a lean TE class in the draft they needed him. A steady target for a (hopefully) rookie QB will make it worth it in the long run.

This fanbase annoys the **** out of me sometimes. Henry was easily the most consistent pass catcher on the offense and people were worrying about non market resetting money to resign him. There's no way to get around that losing him right now weakens an offense that can't afford to be weakened. But then everyone wants to throw a new QB into this mess

Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
Back