PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign DB Marquice Cole

Perhaps, belichick simply simply needed the flexibility yesterday with regard to roster numbers. Perhaps, he talked to Cole.

It made no sense to cut our backup gunner and a very good special teamer.

Someone help me here. What was then the point of cutting our #2 gunnah in the 1st place since we re-signed him? My only thought is that BB thought he might find a better CB/gunner in 31 other cast offs but didn't.

I was thinking maybe he released Cole with the hope of being awarded Marcus Cooper from SF, but when he was awarded elsewhere Belichick reverted back to Cole.

Someone help me here. What was then the point of cutting our #2 gunnah in the 1st place since we re-signed him? My only thought is that BB thought he might find a better CB/gunner in 31 other cast offs but didn't.

Better chance of getting Kline through to the PS after rosters have been set.

This is true. I would note that he could have done the same with Sims and others. After all, Belichick had 2 roster spots to use that he didn't use. He cut down to 51.

Better chance of getting Kline through to the PS after rosters have been set.

You must be $itting me

FML

Is it just me or do other readers here get their jollies out of seeing BB Bleep with certain posters' over the top player hatreds here?

I just wish BB would focus on team building and winning games rather than chortling away in his office after screwing over the draftniks and GMs posting here.

On a humorous note, i listened to the Pats-Giants game via Giant broadcast. The announcers were quite professional BUT they didn't bother with any name on the Pats defense---except Marquis Cole. It sounded as if Cole was the great star of the defense--all tackles and defensive plays were anonymous except for Cole's. I guess Cole made quite a memorable impression on them from his Jet days.

If you watched the Pats Giants preseason, he couldn't cover any of the 2nd 3rd and 4th string Giant receivers either... Zero for 8, and not one even close. Three of which he fell down. Possessed with what? Fear of being cut?

Perhaps you were watching the Giants-Pats preseason game from 2003.

Because you definitely weren't watching this year's game.

Cole was all over the field making defensive plays and being in perfect position as he has been all pre-season. He's a savvy veteran, knows the system, is great in the lockerroom and Belichick absolutely loves the guy.

After watching this PS, I'd worry much more about Logan Ryan (other than the nice pick-6).

Cole was all over the field making defensive plays and being in perfect position as he has been all pre-season. He's a savvy veteran, knows the system, is great in the lockerroom and Belichick absolutely loves the guy.

After watching this PS, I'd worry much more about Logan Ryan (other than the nice pick-6).

You should re-watch the game.

This is a solid depth signing for ST and insurance in the defensive backfield--and it's clear we've needed as many guys back there as possible in recent years.

Kline looked shaky in the pre-season games as did much of the second team OL. Possible PS candidate-if so a year there might help him out.

Per tweets above ^^^:

Cole says that he had spoken to Belichick and that he had the expectation that he would be brought back to the Patriots, saying "I knew what was going on". Says he was not all that surprised about coming back and said he had been talking to BB and understands situation.

This is true. I would note that he could have done the same with Sims and others. After all, Belichick had 2 roster spots to use that he didn't use. He cut down to 51.

I also like the odds of Washington returning kicks.

Well that sucks. For those trying to talk him up, who knows you may be right but the fact that he was cut and resigned without a sniff of interest elsewhere is telling enough.

Well that sucks. For those trying to talk him up, who knows you may be right but the fact that he was cut and resigned without a sniff of interest elsewhere is telling enough.

Yes, I agree. Also, Mesko is obviously a horrible punter because 31 other teams didn't claim him.

per reiss on twitter
mike reiss ‏@mikereiss 1m
patriots announce that veteran cb marquice cole has been re-signed. Undrafted rookie g josh kline has been waived.

One marginal player for another

nnnnoooooo!!!

Ryan looks better than Cole.

Last edited:
per reiss on twitter
Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 1m
Patriots announce that veteran CB Marquice Cole has been re-signed. Undrafted rookie G Josh Kline has been waived.

One marginal player for another

As expected, we may see a lot of the final cuts brought back on a game to game basis - but I didn't expect anyone back until after week 1

IMHO, there is no downside in having a top STer on the team, who can, IN AN EMERGENCY, be a backup CB.

Yes, I have a higher view of the CB skills of Cole than most posters.

However, I agree that we should add a corner (and/or safety) if we can find one. IMHO, this has little to do with the status of Cole. The reality is that I'd rather have Cole than Beauharnais as a STer.

Yes, I agree. Also, Mesko is obviously a horrible punter because 31 other teams didn't claim him.

Mesko and Cole are limited, interchangeable players that are not in demand. Cole just happens to suck at one of the things we likely will depend on him for at some point, while Mesko did a solid job at what we asked him to do.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back