PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats re-sign DB Marquice Cole

Mesko and Cole are limited, interchangeable players that are not in demand. Cole just happens to suck at one of the things we likely will depend on him for at some point, while Mesko did a solid job at what we asked him to do.

Cole's a special teams maven who fills in at CB in a pinch, and should really be nothing more than a CB5. While I'd love an upgrade there, Cole's not the problem.

Cole's a special teams maven who fills in at CB in a pinch, and should really be nothing more than a CB5. While I'd love an upgrade there, Cole's not the problem.

If you call that filling in haha. I know what Cole is here for and it's fine to have ST only guys here and there, but not a position as severely thing as CB. I'd rather use that 4/5 spot on someone who can actually cover when called upon, especially given Talib's durability concerns and Dennard's situation.

I'd rather use that 4/5 spot on someone who can actually cover when called upon, especially given Talib's durability concerns and Dennard's situation.

These types of people tend to be CB2 or CB3 somewhere else.

If you call that filling in haha. I know what Cole is here for and it's fine to have ST only guys here and there, but not a position as severely thing as CB. I'd rather use that 4/5 spot on someone who can actually cover when called upon, especially given Talib's durability concerns and Dennard's situation.

But the problem isn't that the team is weak at CB5. That's true of pretty much every team in football. The problem is that the team is weak at CB4, while dealing with the fragility of Talib and the off-the-field issues with Dennard.

The team's ok if the starters are healthy for every game. If a starter goes down, though, we'll likely end up back with a whole lot of cover 2 shell.

The Patriots' failed waiver claim on Cooper leads me to believe they want to upgrade Cole's spot with player that possesses actual CB skills not just a strict STer. They missed out on Cooper so Cole is the other safer option because he knows the system, his role, etc.

His spot on the team still isn't set in stone.

But the problem isn't that the team is weak at CB5. That's true of pretty much every team in football. The problem is that the team is weak at CB4, while dealing with the fragility of Talib and the off-the-field issues with Dennard.

The team's ok if the starters are healthy for every game. If a starter goes down, though, we'll likely end up back with a whole lot of cover 2 shell.

The weakness at CB4 and the instability upfront is why I'd rather not give a CB spot to someone who's a pure ST'er. If our depth and durability at the position was better I'd have fewer issues with a gunner at CB5.

Hopefully he'll be a great addition to the secondary.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back