PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats not trading Garoppolo - Schefter

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have seen QBs classes that people thought were going to be great tank and ones where they thought the QB class sucked and there were some good QBs coming out of it. Garoppolo is the safer bet, but he is no sure thing.

there's no such thing as a sure thing......it is not a sure thing that brady does not show age next year

Ivan, delete your posts ASAP! If the NYJFL front office reads this they'll have the "competition committee" decide that the winner of the SB gets NO 1st round pick. I could see this happening.

Ok

I'll get on that.

Cleveland should draft Myles Garrett with the #1 pick. Then they should trade the #12 pick, plus a 2018 2nd and a 2019 2nd to acquire JG from the Patriots. JG is by far the best QB option out there if we're talking about building a team (and not going for a one or two year run, in which case you'd likely prefer Romo as a FA). In one draft they could add a generational defensive talent *and* a franchise QB, all while simply dealing one draft pick this year and future picks that have less value down the road.

For the Patriots, with the #12 pick they can add an impact player or trade that pick away for a lower first rounder and maybe a second or third rounder as well. BB does very well with those kinds of trades. And Cleveland won't be great for a few years, so those 2018 and 2019 second rounders would come in very handy.

Apparently a report from Mary is that the Pats are asking for 2 1st rounders for Jimmy G. And if this is true and they pass up on the #12 pick and 2nd or 3rd rounder this year or mixed with next year. If they pass up on all those picks, they will franchise JG next season. Its still early the Pats are probably just playing hard ball. But if they don't trade him and they pass up all that draft capital, I can't see them letting him walk next year for a 3rd round comp.

Apparently a report from Mary is that the Pats are asking for 2 1st rounders for Jimmy G. And if this is true and they pass up on the #12 pick and 2nd or 3rd rounder this year or mixed with next year. If they pass up on all those picks, they will franchise JG next season. Its still early the Pats are probably just playing hard ball. But if they don't trade him and they pass up all that draft capital, I can't see them letting him walk next year for a 3rd round comp.

the Pats can keep him longer term..........after next year, extend him for 6 years.....backload as much as possible and let him ride pine for a year or 2 (or until brady simply keels over from old age) they could keep a maangeable number for 2018/2019

someday brady is going to wake up, find his arm on the ground, pick it up, and go to the bathroom

feRNw3.gif

the Pats can keep him longer term..........after next year, extend him for 6 years.....backload as much as possible and let him ride pine for a year or 2 (or until brady simply keels over from old age) they could keep a maangeable number for 2018/2019

But if you were Jimmy would you be ok with that? Someone is going to pay him next year.

someday brady is going to wake up, find his arm on the ground, pick it up, and go to the bathroom

feRNw3.gif
Why would Garoppolo sign a long term deal as a backup?
I think he has had enough riding the bench and playing asap is his priority.

TWO 1st round draft picks?!?!

Holy moses, Bill is trying to commit robbery :D

Seems to me that, if the reports are true and the Browns are willing to start with #12+ as the starting point, a conditional pick in 2018 could bridge the gap.

2017 #12 overall pick
+
Conditional 2018 pick that could range as high as round 1 with reasonable triggers

there's no such thing as a sure thing......it is not a sure thing that brady does not show age next year
There is also no sure thing that Jimmy will actually make it through an entire season or be a great starting QB.

I do agree with the idea about Brady though. But if I were to wager, I would bet that Brady will still be better than Jimmy this coming season.

this is all negotiating. Bill knows this is a weak FA/Draft class for QB's and he holds all the cards. why not see what he can get from a desperate team like the browns.

maybe browns offer a 1st and a 4th. so bill says "No, 2 1sts." so they up their offer.

Those of us who live in the DC area remember the RGIII trade that the Redskins made - three first round picks and a second round pick for the second pick in the draft. Two first round picks for Jimmy is a fire sale by comparison.

I was in my car listening to Cleveland sports talk radio (radio.com is great) n the hosts there insisted that a number one this year and a fourth rounder would do the trick. Both hosts and virtually all of the callers did not like the two number ones proposal

Don't the Browns get a 1st from us in that scenario?

If you're replying to me, I don't see how. The highest comp pick is a late third. The proposed trade was two first round picks for JG, which is what I read the Pats were demanding.

If you're replying to me, I don't see how. The highest comp pick is a late third. The proposed trade was two first round picks for JG, which is what I read the Pats were demanding.
Browns would franchise him as a 1st and trade him in your scenario

I was in my car listening to Cleveland sports talk radio (radio.com is great) n the hosts there insisted that a number one this year and a fourth rounder would do the trick. Both hosts and virtually all of the callers did not like the two number ones proposal

Nor should they. If Cleveland is stupid enough to agree to give up 2 firsts, straight up (a/k/a no conditions), including the #12 this year, BB should win "Thief of the year" awards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back