PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats lead the league in rushing yards per game

Status
Not open for further replies.
The start LB has had is one of the most surprising/pleasant early season occurrences. Hope he keeps it up, as I fear Dion L can't be counted in due to injury concerns.

that cant be right. all this offseason all i saw where posts like

Blount is a bum, white is a bum, who are we trading for, why didn't we draft a RB, we have the worst RB depth in the league, without brady we'll never be able to win with these RBs

Are you telling me that all those people, were wrong?

It wont last long when Brady/Gronk are back ;)

Normally, a teams running game is as good as said team is willing to stubbornly commit to it. This has been the case so far without brady. Unfortunately, with brady under center, I fear we wont see such a commitment to run. We've established quite a physical identity running the ball. Hopefully it continues.

that cant be right. all this offseason all i saw where posts like

Blount is a bum, white is a bum, who are we trading for, why didn't we draft a RB, we have the worst RB depth in the league, without brady we'll never be able to win with these RBs

Are you telling me that all those people, were wrong?
The team's depth ISN'T good. At all. They have to hope for a 2014-esque season like the WR's had when it comes to the RB corps. If injury strikes Blount, the team doesn't have anyone that is going to make the opposing defense respect the run. The WR depth, for example, was a massive issue in 2014 but the team got away with it because there was health. In 2015? Not so much. And we all know what happened there.

It wont last long when Brady/Gronk are back ;)

You have an excellent point. But my HOPE is that with two huge TEs, a QB returning from a month away from live action, Scar's return, and cold weather around the corner - that they will see value in this second half poundage w Blount and friends.

I hope it continues.

How many times have we seen the Pats abandon the run and become 1 dimensional?

I wouldn't mind looking at Stephen Jackson again come December, he looked good the few times they blocked for him. Don't have really any quality traditonal backs behind behind Blount. Lewis is great but, he's a scat back and Bolden is fairly medicre. White looks better but he's not the run between the tackles type of guy.

I wouldn't mind looking at Stephen Jackson again come December, he looked good the few times they blocked for him. Don't have really any quality traditonal backs behind behind Blount. Lewis is great but, he's a scat back and Bolden is fairly medicre. White looks better but he's not the run between the tackles type of guy.

Lewis would be a great scatback if he could stay out there

I hope it continues.

How many times have we seen the Pats abandon the run and become 1 dimensional?

Is there any evidence that offensive "balance" through the first 3 quarters correlates with winning?

Last edited:
I love the running game too... but the Pats in the 1970's had the best running attack in history and won bupkiss.

If the NFL changes the rules to give the team with the most rushing yardage the win, then I'm there.

Otherwise, whatever gets the Pats more points than the other guys is cool with me.

The team's depth ISN'T good. At all. They have to hope for a 2014-esque season like the WR's had when it comes to the RB corps. If injury strikes Blount, the team doesn't have anyone that is going to make the opposing defense respect the run. The WR depth, for example, was a massive issue in 2014 but the team got away with it because there was health. In 2015? Not so much. And we all know what happened there.

Ya know, before blount made people respect the run, everyone was saying nobody respected the run with blount as the lead back. So i think ill take my chances with what the coach/GM put in place thanks.

Ya know, before blount made people respect the run, everyone was saying nobody respected the run with blount as the lead back. So i think ill take my chances with what the coach/GM put in place thanks.

Who said this? Please reference some posts or posters in particular. I don't recall anyone saying that nobody respected the run with Blount as the lead back. What I do recall were injury concerns with Blount coming back from a season-ending injury in 2015. So appeal to authority if you'd like. It's a dangerous way of thinking, but it's your choice. But I would like to see some examples of what you've referenced throughout this thread.

It is good to be balanced but this won't keep up and can't. Brissett ran for 60 yards on the ground in 1 game. I don't think we want Brady or Jimmy doing that and so you can throw 20 YPG out the window.

Also designed runs to Edelman are something we want to limit i think. Blount has ran 75 times in 3 games. I don't want him running 400 times before the playoffs.

Taking out QBs/WRs/TEs our RB have ran Blount 75 for 298 for 4.0YPA, White 8 for 36 for 4.4YPA, Foster 1 for 7, Bolden 1 for 4.

So generally our RBs will get us about 4 YPA which while good does not pay dividends till the end of games and leads to some stalled drives until you tire them out and get 41 yard TD runs. I just don't think we will always have the luxury to be so patient nor do i think we have the RBs to carry that heavy work load for 16 games.

If the Pats want to continue to run a lot they need to take the load off Blount and get White and Foster the ball more. I don't think they are effective between the tackle runners though but you can bounce them outside.

Personally I don't care if you pass 50 times a game as long as you pass protect well and do a lot of short quick passes/screens.

You have an excellent point. But my HOPE is that with two huge TEs, a QB returning from a month away from live action, Scar's return, and cold weather around the corner - that they will see value in this second half poundage w Blount and friends.
That is true also but they tend to do the opposite of what you're expecting... altho thats the plan of most teams.

I really do see this creating an interesting delimma for the coaches......

Take a game like Houston, Blount was ineffective and had something like 10 yards in the first half. Had Brady been at QB I could totally see them abandon the run and throw the entire second half. With Brissett at QB they had to stick with the game plan, with Brady they won't have to....but will they? It will be interesting to see.

If the OL run blocks like they have over the first 3 weeks, I feel comfortable with any RB we put back there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST