PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats lead the league in rushing yards per game

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the defensive side, the pats are top 15 - and will get better once HT comes back. Denver is at the bottom of the leagues lol.

Not to take anything away from Blount, but the Pats are likely ALSO leading the league in rushing attempts. If you rush the ball more than anyone else (or close to the most) you are likely going to be up there in rushing yards.

BTW- I hear Kontra's fear of an injury to Blount. It's a real concern. We have 4 RB's on the roster, but only Brandon Boldin is a threat for a run between the T's. And as much as Boldin is a great ST's guy, I really wouldn't want to depend on him as your top RB for any length of time.

BTW-2 Did anyone pick up Gaffney, or is he on someone's PS, or is he just on BB's "shadow roster"

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
patfanken is correct, looking at same stats you posted, we have the most rushing yards pretty much SOLELY because we have the most rushing attempts...look at our average, of 4.2, which standalone is nice, but we are like 10th in the league in rushing avg/attempt

we are not a powerhouse run team through the first 3 games of the season...

patfanken is correct, looking at same stats you posted, we have the most rushing yards pretty much SOLELY because we have the most rushing attempts...look at our average, of 4.2, which standalone is nice, but we are like 10th in the league in rushing avg/attempt

What is your definition of a powerhouse run team?

Who said this? Please reference some posts or posters in particular. I don't recall anyone saying that nobody respected the run with Blount as the lead back. What I do recall were injury concerns with Blount coming back from a season-ending injury in 2015. So appeal to authority if you'd like. It's a dangerous way of thinking, but it's your choice. But I would like to see some examples of what you've referenced throughout this thread.

i dont really have time to go through every post from every preseason game thread to pick out the specific posts.

If you have not seen people calling Blount a bum prior to game three they your ignore list is doing a way better job then my ignore list.

What is your definition of a powerhouse run team?

a stat that doesn't have to do w/ quantity, so something like avg yds/rush...if that is top 5 in NFL, id call that a powerhouse run team i think

Just shows how big a loss Blount was prior to the playoffs. Imagine, playing without Blount and Lewis, half of our O-Line injured, several other key guys out, and this team was 3 points away from going to the SB. Amazing mental toughness and great coaching on this team.

Not to take anything away from Blount, but the Pats are likely ALSO leading the league in rushing attempts. If you rush the ball more than anyone else (or close to the most) you are likely going to be up there in rushing yards.

BTW- I hear Kontra's fear of an injury to Blount. It's a real concern. We have 4 RB's on the roster, but only Brandon Boldin is a threat for a run between the T's. And as much as Boldin is a great ST's guy, I really wouldn't want to depend on him as your top RB for any length of time.

BTW-2 Did anyone pick up Gaffney, or is he on someone's PS, or is he just on BB's "shadow roster"

I'd feel better if there was a big RB on the PS

One of the problems with trying to evaluate running the ball: is the YPC average the result of the number of runs, or in spite of the number of runs?

a stat that doesn't have to do w/ quantity, so something like avg yds/rush...if that is top 5 in NFL, id call that a powerhouse run team i think

Thats fine. I'm just trying to get grounded on this.

I'm inclined to think that b/c of how the line has been playing, how LG has been running and their commitment to the run they may not be the 1976 Patriots (the very definition of powerhouse) but have been very effective running the football.

Guys just imagine that in a few weeks, it will be:

QB - Tom Brady (A pissed off GOAT)
QB2 - Jimmy G (Best Backup in the League Easily)

RB - LeGarrette Blount (#1 in yards and Rushing TDs in the NFL)
RB2 - Dion Lewis (Averaged 5 yards a carry and 12 yards per catch in 2015)
RB3 - James White

TE - Gronk (When healthy, GOAT)
TE2 - Martellus Bennett (Over 900 yards in 2014 with Cutler)

WR - Julian Edelman (Best slot/type in the game)
WR2 - Chris Hogan (An underrated, over-the-top threat)
WR3 - Danny Amendola (Most clutch catches thus far for us)
WR4 - Malcolm Mitchell (Not putting up big #s, but making plays)

We will be 2007-style, trouncing teams.

Yes. But our yards per attempt is also quite healthy at 4.2. Top 10.

4.2 is enough for the D to respect our running game right?

Yes. But our yards per attempt is also quite healthy at 4.2. Top 10.

4.2 is enough for the D to respect our running game right?
Oh certainly, that would be great. But the fact is when Brady gets back our running game become situational. In this day and age, (which includes our offense too) you only need a running game to: 1. be able to pick up short yardage plays on the GL and SY; 2. Be to take advantage of defenses designed to stop our passing attack; and 3. be able to to kill the clock at the end of games you are winning.

As of right now, our running game certainly seems capable enough to do those 3 things on a consistent basis.

Oh certainly, that would be great. But the fact is when Brady gets back our running game become situational. In this day and age, (which includes our offense too) you only need a running game to: 1. be able to pick up short yardage plays on the GL and SY; 2. Be to take advantage of defenses designed to stop our passing attack; and 3. be able to to kill the clock at the end of games you are winning.

As of right now, our running game certainly seems capable enough to do those 3 things on a consistent basis.

LOL@ the idea of future events being fact

while they may not have the most rushes per game once Brady is back in form (I think they will still run the ball quite a bit for the first few weeks of his return), it would very much be in their best interest to show they can dictate drives while running the ball or we will just wind up where we were in the last AFCC.

If it turns out that Brady's presence precludes the ability to run the ball, then they seriously need to think about a future without him

I love the running game too... but the Pats in the 1970's had the best running attack in history and won bupkiss.

If the NFL changes the rules to give the team with the most rushing yardage the win, then I'm there.

Otherwise, whatever gets the Pats more points than the other guys is cool with me.

I do enjoy seeing that they can get an extra yard when they need to which didn't seem possible last year.

Being able to close out games with our offense on the field would be awesome....

Great credit to the offensive line and thank God for Bennett.

I believe Shanky will make an impact on the team as the lead back before the season is done. Blount has been great, but running backs take a pounding and he may need a week or two off. Shanky can be a run first back for us. Real glad we picked him up for the PS. Hope he can stay there until he is needed.

We don't know how electric Lewis will be running when he comes back. White has actually had some productive runs this year which is a huge improvement from last year. I think Foster could also fill the scatback role. Other than 3 yard dancing bull touchdown runs off would be tacklers I don't see Devlin being a featured back.

I'd say both average production AND number of attempts need to be high.

A passing-almost-only team has two factors that screw up averages, admittedly in different directions. Averages trend high because the other team isn't playing the run, which may or may not outweigh the (usual) factor that a higher fraction of the runs that DO happen are the ones that are almost inevitable in almost any scheme, which are the ones in very short yardage situations.

Reactions: ALP
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe