PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats feel good about Stidham's offseason so far

It’s a message to the 49ers that they have other options just like the leaked paper showing the Love trade with the Packers. Bill really wants Garappolo but he really doesn’t want to pay what the 49ers are asking for to be playing these silly games.

Belichick heard from the trainer that Cam has been working out a ton and got his throwing back. Zaven Collins no matter what.

I'm both happy to hear that he's doing well and giving it his best shot, as well as skeptical that it will matter enough in the end.

Well apparently they had high hopes for him last year, but he did no work whatsoever in the off-season, opted to go to a friend's wedding for a few days in the middle of preseason at a time when laser focus was required, and then just happily assumed Cam was signed to be starter and showed no interest in fighting for the QB1 role. I don't think his skill and ability has ever been in doubt (from the coaching staffs perspective), but his application, work ethic, drive and desire has been severely lacking.

He has seemed to have shown a lot more initiative so far this year, but I'm sceptical.

I like the kid. Not making excuses for him though. He thought he had a job as Brady's backup ad approached his career that way.. he thought he would have an off season to prepare last year and it bit him on the ass. He ended up playing catch up and never was able to.
It looks like he has a new outlook now.

I remember reading an article about Stidham claiming that he was way behind the curve because of Auburn - the college did him no good in his development. The problem with that is that if a rookie QB loses a couple of years, team control is minimal - this is one reason why QBs signed as backups rarely get a chance.

Say Stidham, in year three, would grade out well among the college class coming out - you'd still pick a similarly graded rookie, of course.

He's wearing Elvis, so I'll root for him. He probably sealed his fate last year if the reports of him not fighting for that job are true.

I like the kid. Not making excuses for him though. He thought he had a job as Brady's backup ad approached his career that way.. he thought he would have an off season to prepare last year and it bit him on the ass. He ended up playing catch up and never was able to.
It looks like he has a new outlook now.
And this year, he knows if he doesn't show something, some real development mentally and physically, he won't even be on the roster (which will cost him close to $2m over the next two years).

But if he's aiming to be a backup, he won't make the team. He better show a reason for them to keep him.

Look, I have no doubt that he is a hard worker, is intelligent and looks good on the practice field throwing to receivers with no defense. The issue I have is that when he has had the opportunity to play, he has shown no potential, no ability to read defenses and let's be honest, if he was any good or showed potential, he would have started that KC game in which Hoyer screwed up or he would have started the latter part of the season when we weren't in playoff contention instead of Cam.

Look, I have no doubt that he is a hard worker, is intelligent and looks good on the practice field throwing to receivers with no defense. The issue I have is that when he has had the opportunity to play, he has shown no potential, no ability to read defenses and let's be honest, if he was any good or showed potential, he would have started that KC game in which Hoyer screwed up or he would have started the latter part of the season when we weren't in playoff contention instead of Cam.
I think it's funny Hoyer still played the whole third quarter after that eff-up at the end of the half. Tells me all I need to know about what the team thinks of Stiddy.

He needs to work on getting his throwing motion quicker.

Short of having some criminal incident come out, would anyone have expected a different storyline in April?

I'm not buying it lol. Belichick's and McDaniels's words and non words about him during the year spoke volumes about his progress and it was not good...

Not sure of what Stidham can do, thought he might step in last year but a hip injury held him back, will wait and see how he looks in TC and some preseason games before any form of judgement can take place.

Too early to write him off..

7....more....days...

I can do it. I can!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots