PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats feel good about Stidham's offseason so far

3.5 million is guaranteed plus roster bonuses and playing time money.

Not even getting into playoff, pro bowl and super bowl money there is no way Cam returned to be kicked to the curb.

Also, the Pat's stepped up and resigned Newton before he hit Free Agency.
Scam is a prime candidate to be released if he can't get the job done, Stidham beats him out for the starting job, or they make a trade for a better QB.

You don't really get it. SF does not want to trade him. That is why they put a price of a first rounder on him. They are not going to miraculously restructure and trade Jimmy for a 2nd or 3rd round pic that the Pats may be willing to pay. What NFL teams have restructured players prior to trades to help out other teams with the salary cap? That would create a future cap hit for the team that is trading. I don't know of any. Perhaps there are. Can you cite one? The player is traded and then the restructure takes place. In order to do that, the recipient has to have the full salary space under the cap.
I get that you're changing the subject. If SF doesn't want to trade him, it's all moot, so why even discuss the reworked contract part.

"That's not logic. That is fantasy. SF would have to do it and then trade him. I doubt that is realistic." Maybe I read this wrong, but it reads like you're saying the reworking of the contract is fantasy, since that was the topic to which you were replying.

If SF wants to trade him, that would be the first order of business.

“There is a pretty good feeling about what Jarrett Stidham has done over the course of this offseason,” NFL Network’s Mike Giardi said on the air earlier this week. “They like sort of his demeanor right now, they feel like there’s a bit more urgency to his operation, if you will. He’s the one who organized the workouts on the West Coast earlier this offseason. Maybe Jarrett Stidham is saying, ‘I’m not done just yet; this isn’t Cam’s job just yet.’”
------
I don't know if this report really matches the article headline.

Even if it did, maybe there are possible trade partners out there and they're talking him up. Can't hurt.
We will need a QB3, on the practice squad if nothing else. Stidham might be able to fill that role.

Stidham first 20 pass attempts of his career: 4 INTs, 2 pick 6's
Nathan Peterman first 20 pass attempts of his career: 4 INTs, 1 pick 6

Sounds about right. That's about his skill level and the level of where his career is headed right now.
And Chucky still had an inexplicable love for Peterman.

Scam is a prime candidate to be released if he can't get the job done, Stidham beats him out for the starting job, or they make a trade for a better QB.
Stidham couldn't beat out Hoyer when Cam went out.

Waste of a 4th round pick.

You would expect a 4th rd pick who never played to beat a ten year vet with multiple years in the system?

I am still rooting for the guy. The best case scenario for us would for him to be develop into a legit starter and put Cam on the bench. I realize it is a pipe dream given Bill's loyalty to Cam but that would be the ideal situation. Then still draft someone high this year and develop him behind Stidham.
Great post...hoping for the best for Stidham....

Look, I have no doubt that he is a hard worker, is intelligent and looks good on the practice field throwing to receivers with no defense. The issue I have is that when he has had the opportunity to play, he has shown no potential, no ability to read defenses and let's be honest, if he was any good or showed potential, he would have started that KC game in which Hoyer screwed up or he would have started the latter part of the season when we weren't in playoff contention instead of Cam.
In fairness he mostly came into games late when Cam had us well behind and Stidham had to try to make something happen ...not easy for any QB except Brady....one game a completely catchable ball hit Edelman right in the hands bounced off and got picked off and a lot of people (Many here) blamed the pick on Stidham for some unknown reason.....Wishing him good luck this year ....and agree with many that this is his year to prove it (provided BB gives him FULL games and first O to do so)....It will either be Stid or someone they draft....Cam is horrific

You understand that he never got to practice, and then came in withthe team down, and to of those interceptions were easy catches that bounced off hands. including one of the pick six that endleman blew.
Good point on Edelman INT

I get that you're changing the subject. If SF doesn't want to trade him, it's all moot, so why even discuss the reworked contract part.

"That's not logic. That is fantasy. SF would have to do it and then trade him. I doubt that is realistic." Maybe I read this wrong, but it reads like you're saying the reworking of the contract is fantasy, since that was the topic to which you were replying.

If SF wants to trade him, that would be the first order of business.
I didn't change the subject. I stated reality vs your fantasy football mentality. You just don't get the facts. Give me one team who restructured/extended a player and then traded him to help another team fit under the cap. You don't get that point. So lets say SF restructured Jimmy and knocked his salary down. Perhaps convert a bunch to signing bonus. Do you understand that SF is the one receiving the future dead cap and not NE? Jimmy would be dead money on their books for a much longer period depending on the restructure. SF isn't doing that. THE REWORKING OF THE CONTRACT BY SF IS FANTASY. The Pats could not rework him until they created $25 million in cap space, made the trade, and then the restructure/extension can happen. Right now the Pats have $15,582,717 in cap space. They need $6-$9 million for rookies and $5 million for a season buffer. To trade for Jimmy with this year's draft pics, you will have to see some major movement on the cap from with multiple players in the next week. Gilmore alone is not enough. Hightower could be restructured. There would probably need to be some more. Its fantasy at this point. Jimmy is gone. He will be an option next year.

Fack Gotcrappolo and fack all this mental masturbation. Lord hear my prayer...smite the bimbo lovin' Jimbo and and save your people from this accursed plague....

Fack Gotcrappolo and fack all this mental masturbation. Lord hear my prayer...smite the bimbo lovin' Jimbo and and save your people from this accursed plague....

I want nothing to do with him. Despite Theloneous the erroneous's efforts.

Some picks work others don't. The pick wasn't crazy at the time so i really don't think you can call it a waste of a pick just because it didn't pan out. it's easy to be wise after the event.

Some picks work others don't. The pick wasn't crazy at the time so i really don't think you can call it a waste of a pick just because it didn't pan out. it's easy to be wise after the event.
Easy to get a great test score when you already have the answers.

Until stidham brings his game up to a level that forces the coaches to put newton on the bench, this exercise is moot!

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back