PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Extend Mayo Through 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
PFT did NOT get it wrong. Mayo's is contracted until late February 2013. Did they need to include the month? Perhaps they could have said "through the 2012 season", but I don't think that it should have been necessary.

I would say that "Welker is signed until 2012".

Check that, PFT has it wrong (go figure)..Nice catch, sorry.

PFT:

"He was AP Defensive Rookie of the Year in 2008 and made his first Pro Bowl and All Pro team last season. His contract didn’t run out until 2013, so Mayo likely took a less up front money than he could get as a free agent in exchange for security now."

Patriots extend Jerod Mayo’s contract for five years | ProFootballTalk

Last edited:
I'm sure this will eat up some of the remaining cap this year and move it into future years allowing for more flexibility going forward.

And then there was one. and next year they need to extend 2 more

PFT did NOT get it wrong. Mayo's is contracted until late February 2013. Did they need to include the month? Perhaps they could have said "through the 2012 season", but I don't think that it should have been necessary.

I would say that "Welker is signed until 2012".

Except that's not the way people nomally talk about contracts.

This is good news and whatever the length and dollar value, its money well spent.
Film/gym rat, good team player. Sends all the right messages to the team.
Now get Welker done.

This is good news and whatever the length and dollar value, its money well spent.
Film/gym rat, good team player. Sends all the right messages to the team.
Now get Welker done.

He is also a very religious man.. but does engage in the theatrics.

I'm sure this will eat up some of the remaining cap this year and move it into future years allowing for more flexibility going forward.

That's what I was thinking.

I love this move and it takes some cap pressure off of the deal to (hopefully) come with Welker.

If BJGE signs to a hometown discount contract, great, but with Woodhead, Vereen and Ridley in tow, I wouldn't bust the cap for him.

Connolly and White I would want to keep at decent rates.

Slater I think loves this system and is a smart enough kid to know not to screw up a good thing.

Carter and Anderson will be dependent on BB's decision after the seasom whether to go back to the 3-4 or not. Carter will be 33 and the deal would have to be 2-3 years.

Last edited:
Woooooo delighted. Great player and leader.

I don't see the salary cap as a serious constraint on the patriots for the foreseeable future. It certainly hasn't been for the last couple of years.

That being said, we can now focus on Welker and Carter.

Obviously, we can return to the 3-4 and be a team with needs for 4 front seven additions again this next off-season, in addition to needs in the secondary, and at wide receiver. I'd rather re-sgn/extend Carter and Anderson and have a more limited set of needs for this offseason.

That's what I was thinking.

I love this move and it takes some cap pressure off of the deal to (hopefully) come with Welker.

If BJGE signs to a hometown discount contract, great, but with Woodhead, Vereen and Ridley in tow, I wouldn't bust the cap for him.

Connolly and White I would want to keep at decent rates.

Slater I think loves this system and is a smart enough kid to know not to screw up a good thing.

Carter and Anderson will be dependent on BB's decision after the seasom whether to go back to the 3-4 or not. Carter will be 33 and the deal would have to be 2-3 years.

Last edited:

under this CBA, you can roll cap space over, so anything that was left at the end of the year would have still been available next year

Good news. My guess is his cap number will be lower next year and probably 2013 and will grow in 2014 when the new TV contracts kick in and the cap should grow significantly.

under this CBA, you can roll cap space over, so anything that was left at the end of the year would have still been available next year

I could be wrong but I believe there's a limit on how much you can move forward. I'm not sure about the number but for instance if Tampa or another team who's always way under is 30M under they aren't allowed to roll all 30 million over. Yes I know there's a floor now but for the first few years there's a bunch of clauses with that which allows you to average out at the floor.

Re: Mayo signs 5 year extension

BEST NEWS OF THE DAY!!! Mayo is a warrior back there.

I don't see the salary cap as a serious constraint on the patriots for the foreseeable future. It certainly hasn't been for the last couple of years.
This is even more so now that the new TV deal has been signed.Starting in the 2014 season all teams will have a about $17MM MORE in cap space. That's based on that its been reported that the new deal will generate about a Billion more dollars in revenue per year. 55% percent of that goes to the players. The 550MM dollars, divided by 32, which is just over $17MM per team.

This is good news for the Pats, but great news for teams like the Jets who will be up against the cap the next 2 years.

Last edited:
This is good news for the Pats, but great news for teams like the Jets who will be up against the cap the next 2 years.

Haven't the Jets already structured contracts so they increase a huge amount in 2014? Santonio Holmes is one such player I believe, he has a low salary this year & next year but then he's due a big pay rise when the cap increases.

The increase in cap room is NOT good news for the patriots. The more severe the restrictions on teams (including cap), the more advantage the patriots have compared to other teams.

This is even more so now that the new TV deal has been signed.Starting in the 2014 season all teams will have a about $17MM MORE in cap space. That's based on that its been reported that the new deal will generate about a Billion more dollars in revenue per year. 55% percent of that goes to the players. The 550MM dollars, divided by 32, which is just over $17MM per team.

The increase in cap room is NOT good news for the patriots. The more severe the restrictions on teams (including cap), the more advantage the patriots have compared to other teams.

And why is that?

very interesting timing, leads me to believe there may be some behind the scenes stuff going on for the extension to come at this juncture

will be able to assume more when the details are out

Haven't the Jets already structured contracts so they increase a huge amount in 2014? Santonio Holmes is one such player I believe, he has a low salary this year & next year but then he's due a big pay rise when the cap increases.
Over on GG, a poster wrote that while the Jets will have 18MM in cap space next season, they have over $20MM in increased cap costs due to increases in contracts

The reason they even have $18MM in projected space is due to the new "rollover" rules in the new CBA. I don't know how that works myself or if its even true that the Pats can rollover the 9-10MM they have now into next season. But even if it is true, then the Jets will still be hampered by the buy now pay later contracts that they have done over the past few years.

That being said, even teams like the Jets SHOULD be able to create SOME space by doing some restructures that take some of the cap costs into 2014 when that big $17MM expansion is due to hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Back