PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats cut 14 incl. Bryant and Gutierrez; 2 (Ruud, K. Smith to IR); Ross to R/NFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Patriots make cuts

The Pats back-up QB is Cassel, who is no worse than Rohan Davey was."

No you are right....they are equally bad.......Luckily, and thank the lord.....Davey never had to come into a game because of a Brady injury.....and we all better pray, that if Cassel is still the backup come opening game......that nothing ever happens to Brady this year!!

There is a good reason why Cassel only had to play 2 series on Thursday and Gutierrez has to play 2 quarters. As much as I liked Gutierrez and he was a feel good story last year, its clear that Belichick feels Cassel can handle himself.

There are parts of the game that we, as fans, never get to see. Like practices and game prep. For instance, in the 2003 Play-offs, Damon Huard, who didn't take a single snap during the game, received the game ball from Belichick. Why was that? Because he was able to mimic Peyton Manning so well and his ability allowed the team to prepare and be successful against Manning. Yet, people kept saying how the Pats cut Huard and that he was worthless and that Rohan beat him out. Which was never the case.

Cassel HAS beat out people. He and Gut both beat out Vinny T last year. remember? So can we please stop pretending like Cassel is so horrible and just deal with the fact that he is our back-up? Whining and complaining that you don't understand isn't going to change anything. Its certainly not going to help your knowledge of the game or of why Belichick does things.

LOL Gutierrez played one less game and faced second and third stringers and was sacked twice as often as Cassel. Maybe we should look for some of Tampa's cuts...even though they can't play in this system either...

Your grasp of the game is mindboggling. Hobbs is better in man than zone. Only that wasn't Asante's strong suit so we played mostly zone.

"Hobbs is better in man than zone. "

And if you believe this...your grasp of the game is up there with my Aunt Sally.....watch the play of Hobbs against Burress in both last game of regular season......and that same play repeated again to win the SB for some education......

There is a good reason why Cassel only had to play 2 series on Thursday and Gutierrez has to play 2 quarters. As much as I liked Gutierrez and he was a feel good story last year, its clear that Belichick feels Cassel can handle himself.

There are parts of the game that we, as fans, never get to see. Like practices and game prep. For instance, in the 2003 Play-offs, Damon Huard, who didn't take a single snap during the game, received the game ball from Belichick. Why was that? Because he was able to mimic Peyton Manning so well and his ability allowed the team to prepare and be successful against Manning. Yet, people kept saying how the Pats cut Huard and that he was worthless and that Rohan beat him out. Which was never the case.

Cassel HAS beat out people. He and Gut both beat out Vinny T last year. remember? So can we please stop pretending like Cassel is so horrible and just deal with the fact that he is our back-up? Whining and complaining that you don't understand isn't going to change anything. Its certainly not going to help your knowledge of the game or of why Belichick does things.

"its clear that Belichick feels Cassel can handle himself.".....well I'm not going to touch this comment ;) Ok...but in all seriousness, WHAT has BB seen this preseason that gives him ANY confidence that Cassel can step in and move this offense??? Please elaborate...thanks

And if you believe this...your grasp of the game is up there with my Aunt Sally.....watch the play of Hobbs against Burress in both last game of regular season......and that same play repeated again to win the SB for some education......

Thank you for proving to everyone how you really don't follow the Patriots. Hobbs was playing with a Sports Hernia. That's a tear of the lower adbomen wall and the groin. Yet he played through it during both games. Are you embarrassed enough yet? Or do you need to keep proving to everyone that you really don't know that much about the Patriots?

"its clear that Belichick feels Cassel can handle himself.".....well I'm not going to touch this comment ;) Ok...but in all seriousness, WHAT has BB seen this preseason that gives him ANY confidence that Cassel can step in and move this offense??? Please elaborate...thanks

Hey SFBs, I'm not BB. Maybe you should stop posting and go back and think about the following two sentences for however long it takes for that lightbulb inside your head to actually come on.

"There are parts of the game that we, as fans, never get to see. Like practices and game prep."

BTW, did you watch the Giants game? I did and re-watched it this morning. I didn't see anything from Gutierrez that would make me believe that he has a better grasp of the offense than Cassel.

That play was the result of an ill advised blitz call and no safety help against Eli's favorite go to weapon. Who by the way did exactly what against Hobbs (playing with a torn labrum and sports hernia...) through 57 minutes of that game? He outplayed Samuel facing most teams #1's throughout the season. 'Sante made his bones cleaning up on picks to 2's and 3's playing soft zone. Ellis had the lone pick in that game, only our offense couldn't capitalize with even a FG. 'Sante missed a pick that would have sealed the game, not to mention he gave up the earlier TD that fueled the Giants belief they could actually pull off a win.

Based on your posts here you likely have a more tenuous grasp of this game than your Aunt Sally...

Perhaps those here would feel better about Hobbs if he were put on IR during the playoffs and not played hurt.

Last edited:
Shocked Bryant was cut. Not that he had a good preseason, but just because I figured at worse he could be a rotational guy.

Disapointed that Hobson didn't make it. I had high hopes when he was signed that a change of position could turn him into a solid contributor. Maybe if Mangini played him inside from the start, he might have had a better chance here. It seems like the change of position and playbook may have been too much for him.

Surprise how many young guys got on the roster especially CJ Jones. The addition of Jones scares me though that Welker's injury may be worse than we have hoped and at least for week one he will not play. I hope I am wrong. I was skeptical that some of these young guys would make the roster. I am hoping this is a good sign for the future of this team.

Thank you for proving to everyone how you really don't follow the Patriots. .... Are you embarrassed enough yet? Or do you need to keep proving to everyone that you really don't know that much about the Patriots?

Priceless repost that made my day! :D

Please continue this no-nonsense tone and not change your style to be politically correct or appear 'nice and diplomatic'. :rocker:

Shocked Bryant was cut. Not that he had a good preseason, but just because I figured at worse he could be a rotational guy.
... The addition of Jones scares me though that Welker's injury may be worse than we have hoped and at least for week one he will not play. I hope I am wrong.

Exactly my thoughts (and fear). I have a strong feeling that Welker will be out for at least a couple of weeks to ensure that he is 100%.

you are right that he is a tough, tough kid and will play hurt......he is a scrappy guy.....I just don' think of this guy as a #1 CB.....and in fact should only be in there in certain packages/schemes.....but please....don't put him in man on man coverages again this year coach!!!!

Actually they rarely played man on man coverage and Hobbs excels in man coverage, but don't that ruin your low opinion of Hobbs.

Just don't forget to give Hobbs some credit this year (and not all of it going to Capers and the coaches).

You could also watch the Bengals game and watch how Chad Johnson gets locked down and becomes invisible... BY HOBBS.

Mo's comment is fact, not opinion. Hobbs is better in man than zone and far better in man than Asante ever was. But hey, I guess if you let up a completion to a guy that has a foot of height on you and a perfect throw means you are terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST