PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats and Gronk working on changes to his contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I definitely think Gronk is more of a game changer than a 5'10" WR. You don't think some teams do too?
Well, that’s why I suggested something in the middle of being the top paid TE (12m) and being a top 15 WR.

I don’t see how he’d ever top 14m a year, and I think that’s being pretty generous. That was where the top paid WRs signed a few years ago (Thomas, Green, Bryant) and they were all elite WR1s who weren’t 5’10”.

To be fair Gronk over the course of his contract has been massively underpaid for what he contributed. Considering the wear on his body he has to know he won't be doing this at 35 and needs to maximize now. Maybe if he was paid more in 2013-2016 this wouldn't have come up. It may go to show perhaps getting a steal of a contract on a player isn't always the best move as it can lead to discontentment down the road.

He is due 10.9M in 2018 and 12M in 2019. My guess is those numbers are fine. He probably just wants to be sure he is paid 10M+ for the next 2-3 years after those and is guaranteed that money.

I picked the best two players who will eb free agents after the season.
You implied that they are not valuble enough to warrant leverage in negotiations and for their petulance would be jettisoned

Well, that’s why I suggested something in the middle of being the top paid TE (12m) and being a top 15 WR.

I don’t see how he’d ever top 14m a year, and I think that’s being pretty generous. That was where the top paid WRs signed a few years ago (Thomas, Green, Bryant) and they were all elite WR1s who weren’t 5’10”.

Also if you look Dez Bryant situation, if I had to guess I think WR is the next position to be in for a severe market adjustment just like it's happening with the safeties, specially with these insane QBs contracts flying around. Very few receivers are worth breaking the bank for and the system has to be all around the guy like Julio Jones and health needs to be accounted as well. Im curious to see who's gonna be the dumb ass GM who is going to give a record breaking contract for Odell.

Its about being the highest paid TE in the NFL.

Gronk could walk away from the game tomorrow and do big time wrestling. The pay is not bad and its way safer than the NFL. A movie career is not that far fetched. I can picture Gronk with his very own reality TV show someday.

According to Forbes, one of the premier wrestlers (Triple H) made 2.8m dollars last year, and Gronk certainly wouldn’t be on that level, at least to start. That’s likely going to be somewhere between 20-25 percent of what he’ll make in the NFL, this season.

I’m not sure where the notion of it being “way safer” comes from either, since he’d be getting constant direct contact to his 3x surgically repaired back—without the benefit of any pads.

Movies and TV are a possibility, but he’s not going to be Mark Wahlberg making 20m a movie, either. He’s going to have some small bit roles in the stoner flicks. It’s doubtful that he’d even get action movies for awhile. Either way, he’s certainly free to do whatever he wants for almost 6 full months out of the year, aside from a contractual obligation to attend a couple of weekend camps.
supafly nailed it.

He is due 10.9M in 2018 and 12M in 2019. My guess is those numbers are fine. He probably just wants to be sure he is paid 10M+ for the next 2-3 years after those and is guaranteed that money.
I’m expecting an agreement to increase his 2018 pay via incentives like they did last year. I’d be very surprised if they actually extended the number of years past 2019, right now. We’ll have to see how it all plays out.

Also if you look Dez Bryant situation, if I had to guess I think WR is the next position to be in for a severe market adjustment just like it's happening with the safeties, specially with these insane QBs contracts flying around. Very few receivers are worth breaking the bank for and the system has to be all around the guy like Julio Jones and health needs to be accounted as well. Im curious to see who's gonna be the dumb ass GM who is going to give a record breaking contract for Odell.
Funny that you bring that up, because I think there were a lot of rumors being thrown out regarding collusion amongst owners back when those 3 WRs signed their deals. I don’t know if the rumors were true or not, but the market did not seem to creep up that much since then, at least judging by the franchise tag.

supafly nailed it.
I think @Triumph could be correct with his prediction of Gronk taking a safer approach by eventually retiring and getting into some entertainment gigs, but I think some of these widespread beliefs about how much he’d make, how much safer wrestling is, and maybe even how much people will fall over themselves trying to watch his every move are somewhat overstated.

Just my opinion, of course.

shocking news...never saw this coming

BTW I have five metric tons of irony I want to sell ...cheap

I’m expecting an agreement to increase his 2018 pay via incentives like they did last year. I’d be very surprised if they actually extended the number of years past 2019, right now. We’ll have to see how it all plays out.
I expect the agreement that makes both sides happy.

I expect the agreement that makes both sides happy.
I’m not sure if they’d add additional years onto a pact that’s already good for two more years, particularly when it’s to a guy that has some fairly serious health issues (as it pertains to the relevant topic of playing professional football), and who also openly pondered retirement in a power statement type of move, but we’ll find out soon enough.

So far, the reports that I’ve read state that they’re willing to increase his 2018 salary, much like they did last season.

I think @Triumph could be correct with his prediction of Gronk taking a safer approach by eventually retiring and getting into some entertainment gigs, but I think some of these widespread beliefs about how much he’d make, how much safer wrestling is, and maybe even how much people will fall over themselves trying to watch his every move are somewhat overstated.

Just my opinion, of course.

Wrasling is no where close to the punishment playing NFL football.

Other than Brady, there is no other Patriot that cones close to his popularity. I would argue that Gronk is even more popular because he is single and you never know what he is going to do next. People outside NE know all about him.

I'm just happy we never had to see that. I think top paid WR are the worst bargain in football. Often, they just take receptions from other people and put up numbers. I don't recall BB ever paying big money for a receiver. He let Cooks, Moss and Branch go when that choice was possible.

The market for NFL talent is hardly perfect. some coaches please the fans with flashy entertainment that does not necessarily lead to value in wins. Ironically, Gronk would fulfill that purpose, unlike most TEs.

shocking news...never saw this coming

BTW I have five metric tons of irony I want to sell ...cheap
Hmm, must be where the bodies are buried.

I can't imagine what he would fetch on the FA market. Maybe highest non QB contract.

With his injury history? Then again, sometimes I forget how stupid some of the teams are. Nevermind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft