PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats 2010 passing game = unstoppable

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are just so many variables to consider.

One thing that concerns me is PATs center. In some of the key
losses last year he was just mauled and abused.

The Oline depth is also a concern. One injury and they could be
hurting especially if Mankins doesn't return.

For me, It all comes down to the Oline If they are very good and
baring any key injuries then you may be right in your prediction.

There are just so many variables to consider.

One thing that concerns me is PATs center. In some of the key
losses last year he was just mauled and abused.

The Oline depth is also a concern. One injury and they could be
hurting especially if Mankins doesn't return.

For me, It all comes down to the Oline If they are very good and
baring any key injuries then you may be right in your prediction.

There are many games and situations where our skill players could probaby overcome bad OL play, and even bad D too, but in order to b a playoff team, SB contender, good in close games, and competitive with the best teams in the league, then I agree the OL is critical.
I laugh at both the crowd that thinks this team will be 8-8, because frankly they could probably go 8-8 with the 32nd ranked D and Brady anbd these weapons winning shootouts. But I also laugh at the crowd that think skill players alone can get your from competitive to contender or Champion. I think that our objective is to win the SB, not to be entertaining.

Gee, wouldn't we all love it if we could link to everything we said out here that turned out to be right and delete everything that was dumb? :)

That said, "and they hadn't even signed Moss!" You must be like the Oracle of Foxboro or something. What say you about GDP growth next quarter?

Don't be so sure that I was able to delete everything that was dumb...

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...m-available-second-round-do-you-take-him.html

Although the idea has merit, considering Manningham could have really helped last year, it was how I acted in the thread. :bricks:

The only way this offense becomes "unstoppable" is if they can actually run the ball to convert third and fourth and shorts. No more of the quick outs to Kevin Faulk out of the backfield (4th and 2) or short passes over the middle to Welker. This team needs to be able to line up with three tight ends and run the ball for 1 or 2 yards when they absolutely have to do so.
How many times during the Super Bowl years (pains me to say it that way, but we're six seasons removed from the last title) did they line up with two tight ends plus an offensive lineman eligible and proceed to run Antowain Smith or Corey Dillon up the gut for 2 1/2 yards on third or fourth and two. Last year we saw too much of Sammy Morris getting stuffed at the line or Brady throwing incompletions or short of the marker.
Last night I saw some encouraging things, and I REALLY liked seeing Brady pass from UNDER CENTER more than in recent years. I don't want the 2007 offense; I want to see the efficient, blood thirsty offense of "The Super Bowl years" that could eat 7, 8, or 9 minutes off the clock almost at will. Those offenses moved the chains with fantastic efficiency.

I agree, if the Patriots can run the ball effectively with Brady under center, especially in short yardage and red zone opportunities, this offense has the potential of being very explosive. However, if like last year, where they couldn't run the ball in clutch situations, and the others teams teams just played the pass, there is going to be trouble. I do like what I saw for the starting O-line, and from many of the backups as well.

With 2 rookie TEs,a third coming from another team,A rookie WR who is currently a #3 or #4 and an O-Line which has many questions right now and with yet a meaningful game to be played hardly makes me think we can even sniff the powerhouse of 2007 in August based on 1 preseason game that we won by 3 points.

Ridiculous IMO - More power to you with these thoughts but get a grip

While I agree that caution is indicated, I don't think we are depending on a rookie WR as our #3 or #4 WR, not even #5. As of now, our #3 and #4 are arguably Edelman and Tate.

While Price MIGHT be our #5, he would only be #5 if Holt is cut. Holt might not be kept if it wasn thought that he was the #5 receiver.

The 2009 passing game was on of the top 4 passing games in the nfl. Do you believe that it is weaker this year with a healthy Brady and the additions?

The passing game is not unstoppable. However, it is reasonable to think that is better than the top 4 passing team from last year.

With 2 rookie TEs,a third coming from another team,A rookie WR who is currently a #3 or #4 and an O-Line which has many questions right now and with yet a meaningful game to be played hardly makes me think we can even sniff the powerhouse of 2007 in August based on 1 preseason game that we won by 3 points.

Ridiculous IMO - More power to you with these thoughts but get a grip

While I agree that caution is indicated, I don't think we are depending on a rookie WR as our #3 or #4 WR, not even #5. As of now, our #3 and #4 are arguably Edelman and Tate.

While Price MIGHT be our #5, he would only be #5 if Holt is cut. Holt might not be kept if it wasn thought that he was the #5 receiver.

Price's blocking was superb in the game, he had a few great ones. I think Holt is now in danger of being cut.

I agree.

For me, Holt must be the #3 or #4 to make the squad. So, he must be higher on the chart than Price and one more.

Price's blocking was superb in the game, he had a few great ones. I think Holt is now in danger of being cut.

I only saw the highlights, but it didn't even look like Brady could step up in his throws. The Pats offense will go as far as their O-line goes.

I think even if Holt is caught in a numbers game, unless he is having a terrible camp and is done, he will stick around at cutdowns because of the lack of experienced depth we have.
He could be an early season insurance policy against Welker being slowed, Tate's health, Prices readiness, etc.
I thin it would be great if he wasnt needed, but I put a lot of value on his experience among a group that after Moss and Welker have basically none.

Did Galloway play in the first preseason game last year?...Anyone?

I really like what I saw on both sides of the ball. I take more of KontradictioN's point of view
I wouldn't read to much into the x2 3 and outs the Saints had at the beginning, we had x3 3 and out vs the Bangles last year in our 1st preseason.
Saints offense plays for 4 quarters and its not uncommon for them to put up 21-28 pts in a quarter once they get in rhythm. Last year we made a TD every 1st drive for the first 6 games , later we became a 2-4 quarter team. Saints offense is very complicated and unlike the colts, which I believe is a vertical/ spread, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Payton plays all 4 offensive philosophies that are run in the NFL. More than 7000 plays that look like 72 similar formations using all 4 offensive Systems
The balanced offense which uses the run to set up the pass,
the west coast offense which uses the short passing game to set up the run,
the spread which Brees played in sometimes at Purdue along with the west coast offense,
and the vertical offense which requires a cannon arm quarterback and fast receivers. *

So it dosnt always click. I think BB has brought this up before. That it did click on the 3rd drive is what we were looking for, because then it usually doesn't stop. I think most saw Payton switch to a balanced/west coast offense in the SB because the Colts were killing us on spread.

When we played the patriots last year we went to a vertical set, and it worked right off the bat. I noticed we did the same call on the first two 3 and outs. BB blitzed and the vertical requires time. On the 3rd set payton switch to west coast and we got some rhythm.

I think the Patriots OL looked great, but we had some rooks put in there on a couple sets, A.Wood was in on Bradys first run. Edelman looks promising, he burned our cb robinson. Hernandez was ok. Tate caught my eye, glad Moss is back. I didn't like Butlers or taylors play. I know Im going to get bashed for Taylor , but I thought B.Green-Ellis had harder runs and moved better between the guards. On average PThomas and Ivory ran better.

This is not diminishing the win, you won that simple.
This is just my teams outside perspective. I think a lot of media and fans built the Saints as a measuring stick, and were not. This game has truly been a blessing for us, because we get to play a really good team with amazing coaching and good fans.

This makes me very optimistic for both teams chances. I think the Patriots have added to their arsenal with guys like Edelman,Gort, and Hernandez. But that has to be tempered with the realization that Bell was a star on our Saints offense at the beginning of the season, but later couldn't handle the game to game beat down and became less than ordinary later in the season.

BB has really rebuilt and put some very interesting talent on the field. IF both teams had our 1st string playing 4 quarters Im not sure we could beat you.

Last edited:
I really like what I saw on both sides of the ball. I take more of KontradictioN's point of view
I wouldn't read to much into the x2 3 and outs the Saints had at the beginning, we had x3 3 and out vs the Bangles last year in our 1st preseason.
Saints offense plays for 4 quarters and its not uncommon for them to put up 21-28 pts in a quarter once they get in rhythm. Last year we made a TD every 1st drive for the first 6 games , later we became a 2-4 quarter team. Saints offense is very complicated and unlike the colts, which I believe is a vertical/ spread, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Payton plays all 4 offensive philosophies that are run in the NFL. More than 7000 plays that look like 72 similar formations using all 4 offensive Systems
The balanced offense which uses the run to set up the pass,
the west coast offense which uses the short passing game to set up the run,
the spread which Brees played in sometimes at Purdue along with the west coast offense,
and the vertical offense which requires a cannon arm quarterback and fast receivers. *

So it dosnt always click. I think BB has brought this up before. That it did click on the 3rd drive is what we were looking for, because then it usually doesn't stop. I think most saw Payton switch to a balanced/west coast offense in the SB because the Colts were killing us on spread.

When we played the patriots last year we went to a vertical set, and it worked right off the bat. I noticed we did the same call on the first two 3 and outs. BB blitzed and the vertical requires time. On the 3rd set payton switch to west coast and we got some rhythm.

I think the Patriots OL looked great, but we had some rooks put in there on a couple sets, A.Wood was in on Bradys first run. Edelman looks promising, he burned our cb robinson. Hernandez was ok. Tate caught my eye, glad Moss is back. I didn't like Butlers or taylors play. I know Im going to get bashed for Taylor , but I thought B.Green-Ellis had harder runs and moved better between the guards. On average PThomas and Ivory ran better.

This is not diminishing the win, you won that simple.
This is just my teams outside perspective. I think a lot of media and fans built the Saints as a measuring stick, and were not. This game has truly been a blessing for us, because we get to play a really good team with amazing coaching and good fans.

This makes me very optimistic for both teams chances. I think the Patriots have added to their arsenal with guys like Edelman,Gort, and Hernandez. But that has to be tempered with the realization that Bell was a star on our Saints offense at the beginning of the season, but later couldn't handle the game to game beat down and became less than ordinary later in the season.

BB has really rebuilt and put some very interesting talent on the field. IF both teams had our 1st string playing 4 quarters Im not sure we could beat you.

Thanks for weighing in, pherein. Two things though: That wasn't Fred Taylor playing. Secondly, who is Gort? :D

Thanks for weighing in, pherein. Two things though: That wasn't Fred Taylor playing. Secondly, who is Gort? :D

images

he's the guy on the right...

C. Taylor , and ok mis spelled on Gronk, sorry. But if you had Jokers guy? hmm lasers work well in the secondary.

Last edited:
C. Taylor , and ok mis spelled on Gronk, sorry

Oh, alright. Just wanted to make sure that you knew that the Taylor in question wasn't Freddy.

Oh, alright. Just wanted to make sure that you knew that the Taylor in question wasn't Freddy.

ya wasn't impressed with Taylor, I like Ellis, might be wrong about that. Taylor had some truck holes I could run. Ellis ran difficult yardage. Granted I liked bell at the beginning of the season, so I might be suspect.

I'm keeping my expectations tempered this year, at least until they show they can consistently beat playoff teams again.

That said, I do expect to see the most exciting Patriots team in a few years, on both sides of the ball. I expect a more varied offense that rediscovers it's knack for finding the end zone and a fast, fiery defense that knocks a few heads around. I just don't expect the consistency yet, too make 1st and 2nd year guys. I hope to be proven wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back