PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots working out kickers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, but I don't have "blind support" for anyone. Unlike yourself, I let facts and not emotional kneejerk reactions do the talking.
OMG your blind spot for how you sound is comical. We've had 4 games and Gost has missed 5 kicks. What do you do with those facts?

OMG your blind spot for how you sound is comical. We've had 4 games and Gost has missed 5 kicks. What do you do with those facts?
I am not sure you get the discussion. Everyone agrees now there is a problem with the PAT's. We get it, however, saying there was one before this season simply isn't true or supported by any facts and the only way people support it is to give eye test type answers that are, time and again, disproved by the actual numbers. So now we have a few people piling on saying see I told you, for the last 4 years Ghost sucks and BB did nothing to prepare for it.

It will be the same thing when Brady either retires or doesn't play well. "I told you 3 years ago Brady sucks" No matter what the actual facts may be.

So now he's injured? What happened to its preseason, its Bailey, its Miami (where the Super bowl will be by the way).

I mean it is not surprising you were not paying attention to the game.

Here we go.. the "eye test" is back on the table. When the stats and facts don't support your bias this is what people turn to.

And this is how we get this utterly garbage and unsupported narrative of "something is wrong with Ghost since 2015".

BECAUSE MY GUT SAYS SO

Just fcuking stick with 2019 and that he has issues with XPs and almost nobody will argue with you. But you have to spin this grand tale that spans seasons.
Until now you guys were also in denial over 2019.

From 09/16, after the Miami game:

Lies! Fake news! There are no facts, in fact, fact is not even a word, it is a shortened version of factual, so even the word “fact” is a lie.

Actually he sounds fine. I got it. Yes SG isnt good this year. We get it. Chicken Littles dont get a victory lap here. He was fine last year if you have realism about what a K should be.

I am not sure you get the discussion. Everyone agrees now there is a problem with the PAT's. We get it, however, saying there was one before this season simply isn't true or supported by any facts and the only way people support it is to give eye test type answers that are, time and again, disproved by the actual numbers. So now we have a few people piling on saying see I told you, for the last 4 years Ghost sucks and BB did nothing to prepare for it.

It will be the same thing when Brady either retires or doesn't play well. "I told you 3 years ago Brady sucks" No matter what the actual facts may be.

I haven't seen anybody say Ghost sucks. That is a lie. His critics have been pointing out a worrying trend that exploded this season to continued denials by his defenders. This season the defenders blamed preseason rust, Bailey, Ghost doesn't kick good in Miami, etc. The critics said no, we've noticed this problem coming long ago despite the deceptive statistics.

Phil's last line is telling. Because he had to go make a tackle (and had to go after on a couple of other ones because of poor kick coverage), they not only went and updated their emergency kicker list, but also got a special teamer.

If he did have a nagging injury, his lack of an appearance on the injury report in weeks 1-4 is a bit mystifying.

Not necessarily. If I'm not mistaken, the injury report is based almost exclusively on the participation report (or at least can be plausibly denied based on it). So without anyone else taking kicking reps in practice, Gost was at Full Participation every day, and didn't need to be listed. I think there's also a clause that you have to report injuries if they're severe enough either way, but again, we're not talking about him kicking on a broken foot. It's probably something small that may (or may not) be throwing off his rhythm.

The critics said no, we've noticed this problem coming long ago despite the deceptive statistics.

You realize anyone that has been predicting the Brady cliff for years could say the exact same thing when it finally happens, right?

You realize anyone that has been predicting the Brady cliff for years could say the exact same thing when it finally happens, right?

They can say it but it wont be true. True in this case however. Besides, it wasn't a Ghost "cliff" it was a noticeable sudden flaw in his technique that we were wondering what is up and will they address it. I guess they waited until those shanks got a foot wider and became outright misses to address this problem trend we have been pointing out.

I drafted Gost as my fantasy kicker this year. So I think it’s all my fault guys.

I’ll cut him this week and he won’t miss a kick the rest of the season. :cool:
F. I guess cutting him made things worse.

Anyone know who they brought in for tryouts?

You're what's comical. 3 of those misses were in Miami and 2 of those Miami misses were on Bailey. But why bother with facts when you can just spew like you do?

When you attempt to boil garbage down like you do, you still have garbage. If/when you can start talking context and acknowledging reality, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it.

If I had to guess, it would be that he's got some kind of physical problem or injury.

I haven't seen anybody say Ghost sucks. That is a lie. His critics have been pointing out a worrying trend that exploded this season to continued denials by his defenders. This season the defenders blamed preseason rust, Bailey, Ghost doesn't kick good in Miami, etc. The critics said no, we've noticed this problem coming long ago despite the deceptive statistics.

You haven't been paying attention. Several people have said it..

Well.. Now we know the REAL reason that they had Kicker tryouts.. Gostkowski to the IR.. Something NONE of you haters thought of..

From 09/16, after the Miami game:

Which is where I make the point that I made when this first made the rounds.. this plot is misleading.

Why make a cutoff at 40+ ? This is not the usual 40-49 stat but includes anything above as well.. even the coin flip 50+ kicks as well improbable 55+..

And if you go to PFR and check his kicking stats guess what ? The year when he peaked at 93% 40+ is the year where he only kicked a single 50+ FG. The following four years where the stats go downhill he had to kick 5 (2015, 4/5), 4 (2016, 2/4), 4 (2017, 4/4 100%) and 5 (2018, 2/5).

Here is a plot I quickly put together from the PFR data, the last column gives you the career averages:

aP4dDQl.png

Suddenly that dramatic narrative about a drop from 40+ since 2014 seems more like it should be a narrative how between 2013 and 2016 he was on fire from that distance and then reverted back to his usual self.

If I didn't read that he was going to IR I would have added maybe some indicators about averages distances for each of those distance groups. Because if you kick your 40-49 on average from the 47.5 you will just in terms of odds have a lower hit rate than if your average is 43.5.

Also just to point out the obvious. The difference between his hits in the 90% and the ones in the 80% are often just 1-2 kicks over an entire season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
Back