PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots working on a contract with Jimmy G?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we have a deal for JG before we're on the clock, then we're not drafting a QB. Jimmy would be a 5 year plan. He's only 29 1/2. I think the cost would be something like a 4th this year and a 4th next year. Jimmy signs for 5 years/$100m with $50m guaranteed. We pursue Waddle in the 1st round as a JE replacement. Cam is our backup, where he also plays 4-8 snaps a game.

Dale hasn’t broken any stories. It is not to judge or condemn the guy but he hasn’t. If the Patriots wanted Jimmy G, he would be here.

I get the sense the Patriots are shying away from Jimmy G because they want to look desperate, like they need him in order to win. Look we let Brady leave and we have to go and get the guy we traded away in order to win. It makes the Patriots look incompetent. The Jimmy G talk is media and fans driven, at least by some.
It’s not incompetent to cover all your bases to improve the biggest weakness on the team. If the falcons go qb as well and we’re not able to move up for a qb Jimmy paired with a 2nd tier rookie qb could be our next best option.

He would be the bridge to the rookie. Jimmy plays while the rookie learns then when Jimmy gets injured the rookie takes over
We already have Cam Newton as the bridge to the rookie.

I don't think I'm buying a Jimmy G trade. He's too fragile and makes too much money. A LOT of things would have to change.

And Right now I feel like the way Cam Newton has taken charge by leading voluntary workouts and the praise that BB heaped on him, he's gonna be the QB for 2021 no matter what.

If the plan is to transition to a rookie (fields/Jones) midseason I see no point in giving up additional draft capital (since I’m assuming we’re already dealing future picks to acquire either of those 2 rooks) for a month of Jimmy. Cam can be that guy.
So CAM has gone from being the worst starter in the NFL to being as good a choice as Jimmy?

If we have a deal for JG before we're on the clock, then we're not drafting a QB. Jimmy would be a 5 year plan. He's only 29 1/2. I think the cost would be something like a 4th this year and a 4th next year. Jimmy signs for 5 years/$100m with $50m guaranteed. We pursue Waddle in the 1st round as a JE replacement. Cam is our backup, where he also plays 4-8 snaps a game.
Not pursuing a starting QB. I could still see them drafting someone in the 3rd like Trask to compete with Stidham as QB3, and then take over as QB2 for Cam in 2022. But yes — if the Pats trade for Jimmy, I agree with you, I think they’re expecting him to be long term solution.

So the new contract ne negotiated with jimmy was so good that they just stopped talking

We already have Cam Newton as the bridge to the rookie.

I don't think I'm buying a Jimmy G trade. He's too fragile and makes too much money. A LOT of things would have to change.

And Right now I feel like the way Cam Newton has taken charge by leading voluntary workouts and the praise that BB heaped on him, he's gonna be the QB for 2021 no matter what.
Leading workouts but stinking as a qb doesn’t get you the QB job.
Jimmy G is miles better if he could stay healthy. We are going to lose games because we want to play the guy running off season work outs.

By the way, I think it was actually Stidham that set up and ran the workouts

I don’t think you can reasonably expect Jimmy to be your long term qb. He just can’t stay on he field.

So CAM has gone from being the worst starter in the NFL to being as good a choice as Jimmy?
Not at all what I said. I believe Jimmy is better than cam. But if we go ahead and trade up for fields or Jones and the coaches think they can be ready to take over early on like last years top qbs did I see no point in trading more capital for Jimmy who would be a placeholder for a few games until the rook takes over. Cam with improved weapons can hold it down until then and it wouldn’t cost us anything.

How on earth are you guys calculating Jimmy is worth a low level draft pick? I’d be surprised if he could be exchanged for a second round pick. Maybe Jimmy and a mid round for a first. He has a career QB rating of 98.9 and a 24-8 record. How does that warrant less than Sam Darnold? And if a team (apparently our team) is balking at a $25M contract, they’re completely clueless and unrealistic.

We suddenly respect Jeff Howe now? Dale aside but er...Jeff?
haha, ya, it's all about respecting the opinion of the guy who has 'the take' that interests you the most

It's like looking ahead to a weekend weather forecast on a Monday

Shows rain, you tell yourself...."It can change. They never get it right."

But if it shows sun...."Woohoo. Awesome." no thought of it possibly being wrong

How on earth are you guys calculating Jimmy is worth a low level draft pick? I’d be surprised if he could be exchanged for a second round pick. Maybe Jimmy and a mid round for a first. He has a career QB rating of 98.9 and a 24-8 record. How does that warrant less than Sam Darnold? And if a team (apparently our team) is balking at a $25M contract, they’re completely clueless and unrealistic.
Because SF has no leverage, especially with JG's no-trade clause. The team I'm concerned about is Chicago, as he's from Illinois and may want to go home to play.

Oh, I see. So you just made that up that I second guess draft picks and then when called out, change the meaning of second guessing draft picks to include non-draft criticism too. The hits just keep on coming from you.
BB kicked your puppy, you complain about everything and anything... but I’m overselling it. Go back to sleep...

Not at all what I said. I believe Jimmy is better than cam. But if we go ahead and trade up for fields or Jones and the coaches think they can be ready to take over early on like last years top qbs did I see no point in trading more capital for Jimmy who would be a placeholder for a few games until the rook takes over. Cam with improved weapons can hold it down until then and it wouldn’t cost us anything.
So, CAM can lose a few games, and rush the rookie in?

BTW, for the record, I think that a solid backup is worth a second, so I would like to have Darnold or Jimmy, even if Field would be expected to start in October. Just BTW, our backup COULD be traded away in late October (not my choice)

BTW, for the record, I think that a solid backup is worth a second, so I would like to have Darnold or Jimmy, even if Field would be expected to start in October. Just BTW, our backup COULD be traded away in late October (not my choice)
Cam could lose a few games, just as Jimmy could get hurt a few games in. Both ways lead to the rook going in. Which way will cost us more money and draft capital?

a solid backup named Bridgewater just went for a SIXTH round pick...SF has even LESS leverage than the Panthers did before that trade...

a solid backup named Bridgewater just went for a SIXTH round pick...SF has even LESS leverage than the Panthers did before that trade...
Jimmy for a 6th completely changes things. Until otherwise I’m going off the assumption that it will cost us a day 2 pick.

He went for a sixth but Carolina ate a lot of his money owed, that's accounted for in the trade compensation.

He went for a sixth but Carolina ate a lot of his money owed, that's accounted for in the trade compensation.
and? you don't think SF won't have to eat any part of Jimmy's contract? you think he's going to cost a 2nd round pick AND cost 25 million a season? wish I could get odds on this, I'd bet the house AGAINST it

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft