PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Daily News Thread Patriots Wednesday 11/29/23

Daily news threads with relevant news, stories, video, or additional content around the team. Feel free to contribute anything interesting you come across as well, which will hopefully make these helpful for people to keep up with what's going on with the team by having all the news in one place.
Yep, I included that part specifically. If Bill was going to get fired midseason, that's what he'd get canned for. The OP said the not naming a starting QB is flirting with a firing offense, which I don't think rises to that level. And since Bill wasn't fired for the Jack Jones thing, he's certainly not getting fired for not naming Zappe or Grier the starter.

I'm starting to come-around to Ross' way of thinking, that Bill & RK have some type of wink-wink agreement already in place, to not try real hard to win in order to secure more favorable draft position because Bill is definitely returning and wants another crack at a top QB... Hope we're wrong...

...I think Cunningham is playing regardless...

If he does, then why wasn't he given Any practice reps at QB all month long? Besides Bill being a clueless, washed-up old incompetent that is...

I wouldn't be shocked to see Will Grier in the QB picture before long either.

I'm starting to come-around to Ross' way of thinking, that Bill & RK have some type of wink-wink agreement already in place, to not try real hard to win in order to secure more favorable draft position because Bill is definitely returning and wants another crack at a top QB... Hope we're wrong...
So here’s the question. How many players are we away from actually being a playoff team? And if Bill was replaced … who would it be for? Plus and I think above all else, if Bill was replaced the whole organization goes back 3-4 years because of all the new coaches and player changes. Is this a zero sum game for Kraft? In Bill we trust or time to move on?

So here’s the question. How many players are we away from actually being a playoff team? And if Bill was replaced … who would it be for? Plus and I think above all else, if Bill was replaced the whole organization goes back 3-4 years because of all the new coaches and player changes. Is this a zero sum game for Kraft? In Bill we trust or time to move on?
You are spot on, the coaching part of the equation is the real question. BB and RKK being on the same page to crash land this season for the best draft pick is the best strategy, independent of who is coaching next year. Clearly the Captain and others have valid reasons for wanting BB out. Idealistically I would like to see BB be the one to take the team to the next generation, realistically it my be time for new direction.

You are spot on, the coaching part of the equation is the real question. BB and RKK being on the same page to crash land this season for the best draft pick is the best strategy, independent of who is coaching next year. Clearly the Captain and others have valid reasons for wanting BB out. Idealistically I would like to see BB be the one to take the team to the next generation, realistically it my be time for new direction.
So… if crash landing is the plan between BB and Kraft and then Kraft moving on with all that money and high draft picks for another guy to take over next year? …. not sure why Bill would agree to that. Would tarnish his legacy even more. Giving up on the season and having the green light for next year to rebuild would make more sense. And bottom line we really don’t know what Bills contract really states. Talking heads might guess , but guaranteed only 2-3 people actually know.
Bottom line is if Bill is out … who is in? And how will that group be any better than what’s here. And how long will that group of new coaches take to make the Patriots competitive again. Wonder if Kraft subscribes to “the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know “ mantra

I hope they practice something basic like looking off the safety... It feels like I haven't seen that consistently done well in years from a Pats QB (or it's just selective memory). Just that split second of time can make a gigantic difference.

Zappe has thrown 2 interceptions in the last two games playing about 2 quarters. Both interceptions were into quadruple coverage. What a coincidence? No, not at all. In both cases Zappe stared down the receiver running across the field and the defense followed Zappe's eyes. Hence four defenders around one receiver. That was two different teams, mind you, meaning both teams knew Zappe stares down his receivers.

Wonder why Patricia and O'Brien don't want Zappe throwing deep? Because he stares down his receiver and throws picks. Zappe is not going to look off the safety. It will be more of the same from the Chargers defense with 8 or 9 guys in the box daring the Pats to throw deep.

Having said that Zappe might be better than Mac. Mac was horrible this year, with a few exceptions, so if Zappe can release the ball quickly he will not have time to stare down receivers. Haha.

My bet is that OBrien is setting up Zappe with a bunch of quick release pass packages. Zappe can not read a defense so it will be a maximum of two reads on the same side of the field. Ugly stuff coming.

So… if crash landing is the plan between BB and Kraft and then Kraft moving on with all that money and high draft picks for another guy to take over next year? …. not sure why Bill would agree to that. Would tarnish his legacy even more. Giving up on the season and having the green light for next year to rebuild would make more sense. And bottom line we really don’t know what Bills contract really states. Talking heads might guess , but guaranteed only 2-3 people actually know.
Bottom line is if Bill is out … who is in? And how will that group be any better than what’s here. And how long will that group of new coaches take to make the Patriots competitive again. Wonder if Kraft subscribes to “the devil you know is better than the devil you don’t know “ mantra
If the tank is on, I agree that BB staying next year makes the most sense. People who want a tank and BB gone are likely to be disappointed. The good news is that even if there is no infusion of talent, this team would be mid pack with a mediocre QB that does not give the game away.

Last edited:
Zappe has thrown 2 interceptions in the last two games playing about 2 quarters. Both interceptions were into quadruple coverage. What a coincidence? No, not at all. In both cases Zappe stared down the receiver running across the field and the defense followed Zappe's eyes. Hence four defenders around one receiver. That was two different teams, mind you, meaning both teams knew Zappe stares down his receivers.

Wonder why Patricia and O'Brien don't want Zappe throwing deep? Because he stares down his receiver and throws picks. Zappe is not going to look off the safety. It will be more of the same from the Chargers defense with 8 or 9 guys in the box daring the Pats to throw deep.

Having said that Zappe might be better than Mac. Mac was horrible this year, with a few exceptions, so if Zappe can release the ball quickly he will not have time to stare down receivers. Haha.

My bet is that OBrien is setting up Zappe with a bunch of quick release pass packages. Zappe can not read a defense so it will be a maximum of two reads on the same side of the field. Ugly stuff coming.
Yup. Keep him to those 2 yard horizontal passes and let the speedy guys get their YAC and the get the running game going to win this one.

That's almost certainly been the case in a fairly generous sample size at this point (4 games) and will probably be the case. However, I'm barely clinging by a few knuckles onto what he looked like in his last start after getting a full week of prep and reps, but that almost feels like ancient history at this point. Dude did not stare down his receivers in that game.

Dude did not stare down his receivers in that game.

Most QBs look OK when they start because the defenses do not know how to play the new QB. Teams are now rushing Zappe with their arms up because he has (had) a low release point. I am not sure if he fixed the low release point in the off-season. Teams also started following his eyes. Not sure if that will change over the last 6 games. My guess is that it will be short passes that do not allow long enough time for Zappe to stare down the receiver, and/or limit Zappe to one half the field (left or right), and/or limit Zappe to 2 reads and release. The objective is to play fast and limit Zappe's need to process a lot of information, including limiting his "eye staring". That is my guess.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back