PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Uniforms

@TheRainMaker
January 3, 1999 AFC Wildcard Game, vs Jacksonville Jaguars ... and in other pics from 1998, it showed the white pants as well ...

edit: in the playoffs ... regular season, they had gray/silver pants ... nice catch

will have to edit the original pic to show the regular season version as well
Did you make those graphics showing the history of the uniforms?

If so, good work.

Did you make those graphics showing the history of the uniforms?

If so, good work.
i did, and thank you

some of the 60's and 70's stuff is dubious in terms of dates, but tried to verify ... but If i wasnt sure, I tried to match the uniform diagrams shown by online sources so they would be visually similar

The only real design flaw of that particular uniform is the oversized flying elvii on the shoulders
Funny I was thinking the same...still my fav tho.

If the team were a new, completely different expansion franchise in 1993, then they would not be so insulting or offensive.

But it's not, so they are.

The modern era of American professional football is defined as, 'post-merger', or 'Super Bowl'. A few teams achieved legend, championship status in the first twenty years: GB, PIT, DAL, SF have kept their logo and basic uniform. KC, LV and IND have as well.

There are two primary myths propagated to support the disaster: that the Patriots were worse than terrible, a 'laughingstock'. Over a dozen other NFL franchises drastically fit that definition better than the Patriots, including the Giants. And that the logo is silly, outdated or unattractive. It has in fact been rated the best logo in the history of all sports ever, it is undeniably patriotic, it is specifically appropriate to the sport and is also historically accurate. It was further established for 33 years, 32 on our helmets, and the expense and hardship imposed on marketing and promotions to create it did not have more to do with bankruptcy than the Victory Tour. The grumblings of a few lazy, Boston-hating end zone grounds crew in the 1986 Super Bowl do not qualify as legitimate substance. The team openly admits the entire filled Schaefer Stadium crowd unanimously chose the real logo and rejected the virtually identical flying elvis prototype, like the U.S. promoting the Tulsa massacre, the Red Summer and the execution of Fred Hampton in promotional guides to black tourists.

Most significant is that the New England Patriots did, indeed, establish themselves as champions in the 1970's. They did their job. It took historically evil characters like Ben Dreith and Jack Tatum to prevent them from carrying home the Lombardi trophy.

The truth is that the Patriots are in the majority: DEN, MIN, MIA, ATL and the NYJ among others have overhauled their logos and uniforms - all to their total detriment, in my opinion.

Addressing our uniforms specifically: the over the shoulder stripes are nostalgia from the 1960's - and should stay there.

The ridiculous, red pajama pants are silly, and make me think we're trying to sink to the level of the Chiefs.

This is the look in which we had the best team and conquered not only our opponents, but shoved all the history of belittlement and denigration from the league and media smack in all their faces, putting NE at least on the same level as GB, PIT, DAL, SF:
1619030778107.png
Steve Grogan did what Tom Brady did. Tom just didn't have the Raiders awarded a stolen first divisional round playoff game in his second season and did not subsequently lose Troy Brown forever 20 months later in the preseason.

Last edited:
Lets talk #'s.
As I looked at these photos(awesome job,btw @Pape), I was trying to name all the players. I got most of em but one has me stumped: #18 1974. Obviously was the qb who took over for Plunkett. Back then I was really pissed at Sullivan for trading Plunkett, mostly because it was like the last straw after he dumped HOF'ers Nick Buouno and Mike Haynes.
So makes sense I cant remember the stiff who took over for him.
Anyone know? No googling or looking it up allowed. Either you know or you dont.

If the team were a new, completely different expansion franchise in 1993, then they would not be so insulting or offensive.

The modern era of American professional football is defined as, 'post-merger', or 'Super Bowl'. A few teams achieved legend, championship status in the first twenty years: GB, PIT, DAL, SF have kept their logo and basic uniform. KC, LV and IND have as well.

There are two primary myths propagated to support the disaster: that the Patriots were worse than terrible, a 'laughingstock'. Over a dozen other NFL franchises drastically fit that definition better than the Patriots, including the Giants. And that the logo is silly, outdated or unattractive. It has in fact been rated the best logo in the history of all sports ever, it is undeniably patriotic, it is specifically appropriate to the sport and is also historically accurate. It was further established for 33 years, 32 on our helmets, and the expense and hardship imposed on marketing and promotions to create it did not have more to do with bankruptcy than the Victory Tour. The grumblings of a few lazy, Boston-hating end zone grounds crew in the 1986 Super Bowl do not qualify as legitimate substance. The team openly admits the entire filled Schaefer Stadium crowd unanimously chose the real logo and rejected the virtually identical flying elvis prototype, like the U.S. promoting the Tulsa massacre, the Red Summer and the execution of Fred Hampton in promotional guides to black tourists.

Most significant is that the New England Patriots did, indeed, establish themselves as champions in the 1970's. They did their job. It took historically evil characters like Ben Dreith and Jack Tatum to prevent them from carrying home the Lombardi trophy.

The truth is that the Patriots are in the majority: DEN, MIN, MIA, ATL and the NYJ among others have overhauled their logos and uniforms - all to their total detriment, in my opinion.

Addressing our uniforms specifically: the over the shoulder stripes are nostalgia from the 1960's - and should stay there.

The ridiculous, red pajama pants are silly, and make me think we're trying to sink to the level of the Chiefs.

This is the look in which we had the best team and conquered not only our opponents, but shoved all the history of belittlement and denigration from the league and media smack in all their faces, putting NE at least on the same level as GB, PIT, DAL, SF:
View attachment 32288
Steve Grogan did what Tom Brady did. Tom just didn't have the Raiders awarded a stolen first divisional round playoff game in his second season and did not subsequently lose Troy Brown forever 20 months later in the preseason.
regardless how history perceives the Patriots, which is another matter for a far more ambitious thread, the evolution of the uniforms was needed... it was time to change the fortunes around here... While the team may have been successful with Fairbanks & Berry, the team really hit the skids with the three year span of Rust & MacPherson... That was bad football all around... There was turmoil in ownership and a general unease regarding New Englands hold on the team...

In regards to the 70's and 80's red uniforms, I gotta say I like the Red Pants worn with the White Top. That was a good looking combination. I am not a huge fan of the monochromatic color scheme... Which is probably why I dislike the Patriots current home uniform...

The redesign in the early 1990's was a failure imo... the original '93 look was bland, generic at best... Then they went a bit too far with the huge logos wall papered to the shoulders... I also think that the uniform redesign after Parcells arrived was done to help transition the team away from New England, offering up a new look for when they arrived in St Louis... If I ever run into Orthweins son again, I am going to ask him about that...

Pat Patriot redesigned into Flying Elvis was much scorned and mocked at the time, but he's grown on me... There was a time I wouldn't buy Pats gear if it had the new logo... but no longer... The Granite Man look that was designed has a lot of similarities, but Elvis is sleek and aerodynamic where that one was fugly and clunky...

The 2000's look with the Navy Blue/White, and White/Navy Blue uniforms look sharp... They were good looking uniforms, and held a bunch of design features that tied them to the history of the team... The most obvious are the numbers... They brought back the same type of font they used on the jerseys back in the 1970's and 1980's ... I really disliked the block numbering that can be seen on a few random years worth of uniforms... The shoulder stripe calls back the stripes worn in the 60's... i do not like the Gray/Silver or whatever you want to call it look... That particular look always said "cash grab" to me...

Last edited:
Lets talk #'s.
As I looked at these photos(awesome job,btw @Pape), I was trying to name all the players. I got most of em but one has me stumped: #18 1974. Obviously was the qb who took over for Plunkett. Back then I was really pissed at Sullivan for trading Plunkett, mostly because it was like the last straw after he dumped HOF'ers Nick Buouno and Mike Haynes.
Thats
the Rabbit... WR Randy Vataha... Plunketts teammate from Stanford

Lets talk #'s.
Thats
the Rabbit... WR Randy Vataha... Plunketts teammate from Stanford
They hooked up to make huge plays to win for both Stanford and the Pats. I was also unhappy when Fairbanks dealt Jim, but not after we all realized the fortune we got in return, and how good the Grogan kid was.

Randy was still with us in '76 and got his Super Bowl ring stolen.

Not counting any pseudo-throwbacks and Color Rush mixed in there, 2000-2019 is my favorite to be honest. The double dynasty era was defined by a consistent look that was clean and classy.

Close second is the 84-92, followed by all the variants of the old Pat Patriot logo uniforms.

2020+ uniform is a big so what for me.

1993-1999 stink on ice IMO.

Thanks for posting the pics of past uniforms. They bring back a lot of memories. I also remember being in the stands booing along with the entire stadium when the "Flying Elvis" was introduced. Don't think many people liked it back then including me.

I like all the colors of uniforms both past and present as they each have there own memories. All the various red combinations with "Pat Patriot" bring a lot of nostalgia with them including occasional small victories by a perennial underdog and a visit to a Super Bowl in 85 only to get killed by the Bears. The later blue uniforms along with the Flying Elvis have a different type of nostalgia that includes Super Bowl Victories, swagger and a combination of respect and hatred by fans of other teams.

So having gone through the Good, Bad and Ugly with this team with all the different uniform color combos, I have to go with Blue. . . :)

To me the worst are the color rush uniforms - and that applies to every team, not just the Patriots.

At best they usually look like a division 2 college team; at worst they resemble pajamas.

Best to just let the Seahawks be the only team that wears those hideous things.

View attachment 32288
Yes, I was looking at Stanley Morgan's statistics recently, and even though I watched the entirety of his career, including his rookie year, I noted that the Patriots had only one losing season in his first 12 years, and the 2nd losing season for Stanley was his 13th and last, when he was on the way out.

The only losing season in his first 12 years was the Erhardt year when they were the most snakebitten team in NFL history. Could not believe that they lost games seemingly every week by only one score.

Nike designers seem bored cranking out Air Jordan’s these days and seem to be really taking their liberties with the special NFL jersey designs. I won’t be surprised if our next color rush jersey has the Jets colors.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down
Back