PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots UDFA signings

upstater1

Hall of Fame Poster
Reaction score
I really like what the Patriots are doing:

Patriots undrafted free agency signings​

QB D’Eriq King, Miami: Small, but the Patriots may try to develop him into an Edelman type, kick returner, slot, etc. I like this signing. He used to have a lot of hype as a Kyler Murray type guy. Never panned out that way.

S Brenden Schooler, Texas: special teamer, big, hard hitter

DT LaBryan Ray, Alabama: Used to be a bigtime HS recruit, once projected in previous years as a top 10 draft pick. Lots of injuries, practically missed 2 years. Like drafting Ken Sims after multiple injuries. We'll see. You never know.

IOL Liam Shanahan, LSU: Mass native, Harvard player, transferred to LSU and immediately won the starting spot. May be developed behind David Andrews. Good signing.

LB DaMarcus Mitchell, Purdue: He's a really solid pickup at LB for UDFA. Promising.

P Jake Julien, Eastern Michigan: eh

C Kody Russey, Houston: Small, I don't see how he can stick.

I like King, Schooler, Ray, Mitchell and Shanahan, 5 solid signings that have a great chance to stick.

I really like what the Patriots are doing:

Patriots undrafted free agency signings​

QB D’Eriq King, Miami: Small, but the Patriots may try to develop him into an Edelman type, kick returner, slot, etc. I like this signing. He used to have a lot of hype as a Kyler Murray type guy. Never panned out that way.

S Brenden Schooler, Texas: special teamer, big, hard hitter

DT LaBryan Ray, Alabama: Used to be a bigtime HS recruit, once projected in previous years as a top 10 draft pick. Lots of injuries, practically missed 2 years. Like drafting Ken Sims after multiple injuries. We'll see. You never know.

IOL Liam Shanahan, LSU: Mass native, Harvard player, transferred to LSU and immediately won the starting spot. May be developed behind David Andrews. Good signing.

LB DaMarcus Mitchell, Purdue: He's a really solid pickup at LB for UDFA. Promising.

P Jake Julien, Eastern Michigan: eh

C Kody Russey, Houston: Small, I don't see how he can stick.

I like King, Schooler, Ray, Mitchell and Shanahan, 5 solid signings that have a great chance to stick.

Russey isn't that different from Koppen and Andrews. I'm not saying he's the next one. But saying he's too small doesn't fit with previous player's we've had at Center.

1651426324037.png

1651426440357.png

NOTE: I don't care about the over-all RAS score. I'm using it because they have the data to compare.

Russey isn't that different from Koppen and Andrews. I'm not saying he's the next one. But saying he's too small doesn't fit with previous player's we've had at Center.

View attachment 42899

View attachment 42901

NOTE: I don't care about the over-all RAS score. I'm using it because they have the data to compare.
Thing is, I do feel there are times when Andrews is too small, but I get what you're saying

I think Jake Julien can be good. Punted in Michigan; enough said. Schooler will/should be our next ST ace (gives me more athletic Ebner/Cody Davis vibes). LaBryan Ray is a unique talent. Better against the run than Wise. 3/5-tech/3-4 DE? Can he stay healthy?

“Long and violent strong side defensive end who lined up all over the line for Alabama. From shaded nose in pass rush packages to over tight ends in base, displaying his good athleticism. Ray snaps out of his stance, threatening tackles vertically before coming inside with a violent hump or quick swim move. At extension he outreaches blockers consistently, twisting them with his violent hands. He can two-gap with his length and ability to disengage quickly. His lateral range is very good on the inside. Ray plays hard and delivers a hit when he gets home. He is smart and disciplined, playing his responsibility against the run. In the quick game he gets his hands on the football, batting passes at the line.”

Last edited:

View attachment 42899

View attachment 42901

38 bench good gravy - that'd be tied for 17th best player in the Combine for all positions since 2006. I don't think I can do 38 pushups right now.

38 bench good gravy - that'd be tied for 17th best player in the Combine for all positions since 2006. I don't think I can do 38 pushups right now.

38 stood out to me too. Being shorter makes the reps easier, but 38 is amazing. He must be solid as a rock.

If we do not sign 10 UDFAs I assume that is because we are saving room for FAs.
So, having UDFA's in camp for a few weeks (or days) costs so much that we should save the spot instead of having the normal tryouts?

So, having UDFA's in camp for a few weeks (or days) costs so much that we should save the spot instead of having the normal tryouts?

I have no idea. That is for the coaches to decide. If there are 2 or 3 slots left open for the next week, I think we can surmise they are signaling to specific FAs that there are spots for them.

Notice that Tippett's kid was granted a "mini camp invitation (in the small print)", not signed as a UDFA (taking up a 53 man roster spot) even though the Pats are below 10 UDFA signings. That is my understanding, but I am not an expert.

38 stood out to me too. Being shorter makes the reps easier, but 38 is amazing. He must be solid as a rock.
You should see this guy. Fun, fun, fun. Human spark plug.

He just might stick at a position of need. If he had been a few inches taller, he’d have been drafted.

Kody Russey, all 6’ 300 pounds is playing very well. At the 02:48 he pancakes a guy—in pass protection.

Fun, fun player. On his pro day running the 40 he looked like Curley of the Three Stooges. The fat bald guy, no?

Kody Russey has 60 starts in his collegiate career, 46 at Louisiana Tech and 14 at Houston.

He’s our backup center.

After his playing career he wants to coach offensive line.

In an interview while LaTech he said he and his two roommates go through 125 eggs a week. He says his favorite style is sunny side up.

That’s fighting words to those of us of the over easy proclivity.

Kody Russey has 60 starts in his collegiate career, 46 at Louisiana Tech and 14 at Houston.

He’s our backup center.

After his playing career he wants to coach offensive line.

In an interview while LaTech he said he and his two roommates go through 125 eggs a week. He says his favorite style is sunny side up.

That’s fighting words to those of us of the over easy proclivity.
Damn, that’s almost six eggs everybday for each one of the three of them.

he needs to buy a chicken farm.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back