PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PATRIOTS NEWS Patriots Training Camp 8-2-2023

Breaking New England Patriots Team News
I watched Mac's interview on NFL network today.. with Scott pioli.. I like what Mac said about the defense.. he said our D was top 5 in the league. He said it's tough going against them. He wasn't making excuses for the woes. But he was being truthful. I've been saying this all camp. The defenses strength last season was take aways, and holding teams in the red zone.
Bad Teams not the better ones.

Heard today was the best day of practice for the offense so far

Complete 180 from last year

At the VERY LEAST, this team should be a lot more fun to watch this season. And more likely to pull off an upset against a good team

That's what made last season so frustrating. Their offense made it so hard to guarantee that they'd be able to actually pull off a win unless it was against an obviously bad opponent. This year? Games like the Raiders game, Vikings game, etc.  could flip, even if only a few.

I think if they viewed him as a starter, he would be practicing with the starters. It might just be semantics, but they view him as a potential starter if Mac fails or is injured. They don’t view him as a starter over Mac.
Well yeah, that is clear. Is anyone honestly disputing that Mac is ahead of him on the depth chart right now? Kind of obvious, but that could change pretty easily during the season.

I watched Mac's interview on NFL network today.. with Scott pioli.. I like what Mac said about the defense.. he said our D was top 5 in the league. He said it's tough going against them. He wasn't making excuses for the woes. But he was being truthful. I've been saying this all camp. The defenses strength last season was take aways, and holding teams in the red zone.
I saw that interview. Was interested to hear him talk about Pop. Maybe I’d missed it before but I learned Demario is from Mac’s home town, went to school in his neighborhood. Wonder fow much that connection is getting DD some helpful hints from Mac.

Mafi playing for Onwenu instead of Hines. Mafi is a beast. Doubt we re-sign Onwenu in the off season. Money will go other places.
You mean HINES who was down on the rehab field yesterday with everyone else and just came back to practice? That Hines?

What's f'in hilarious is that no one but YOU is touting MAFI as this great player at RG.

Onwenu is a TOP 3 RG and probably a top 3 Guard in the league. Let's put the brakes on writing off Onwenu until Mafi shows he can hold up in actual game situations.

I think DD is going to be starting IMO.. I'd love to see him and or mighty Mouse Marcus Jones handling those responsibilities.

That depends on whether or not the Pats go with the 2TE set as their primary or if they go 3WR as their primary. If they go 2TE, then, No, POP won't be starting. That will be JuJu and Parker. If they go 3WR-1TE, then yes, POP will be on the field.

Don't sleep on Boutte he might be ahead of Fragile-Quan Thornton.

In a perfect world, him and Douglas make the team and have starting roles and continue to grow. Next few years we’d have a a fairly cheap WR room, and we could use our first next year on an OT. That’s what I’m hoping and rooting for, and so should any real fan.

Last edited:
In a perfect world, him and Douglas make the team and have starting roles and continue to grow. Next few years we’d have a a fairly cheap WR room, and we could use our first next year on an OT. That’s what I’m hoping and rooting for, and so should any real fan.

Unless Sow really develops, OT has to be the pick next year.

That depends on whether or not the Pats go with the 2TE set as their primary or if they go 3WR as their primary. If they go 2TE, then, No, POP won't be starting. That will be JuJu and Parker. If they go 3WR-1TE, then yes, POP will be on the field.
That's true, I can't really even say who will be starting becuase they are so game plan specific. However if he continues make plays, with his natural speed and athleticism it will be difficult to keep him off the the field.. can't coach speed and athleticism.

Well yeah, that is clear. Is anyone honestly disputing that Mac is ahead of him on the depth chart right now? Kind of obvious, but that could change pretty easily during the season.
Some are making it out like since they’re getting equal snaps, the team views them equally. Again, it might just be semantics of what people mean by view Zappe as a starter.

Some are making it out like since they’re getting equal snaps, the team views them equally. Again, it might just be semantics of what people mean by view Zappe as a starter.
Question?.. does anyone believe that the defense had mercy on the offense as they had thier best day of practice yesterday or are things finally clicking?

Question?.. does anyone believe that the defense had mercy on the offense as they had thier best day of practice yesterday or are things finally clicking?
I think the offense lulled them into a false sense of security by being not very good for several days + the whole last season.

I think the offense lulled them into a false sense of security by being not very good for several days + the whole last season.
That's what I thought as well.. gonzo has locked up every WR he was put on.. suddenly Parker looks like moss with him in coverage..

I wonder how tightly scripted camp practices are. Do the OC and DC put their heads together and coordinate details, like down to specific calls on each side of the ball? or do they work independently, each attacking the other as they would a real opponent? My guess is probably bits of both. Point is, it would be easy to favor one side over the other if they coordinate. And that makes all the outside reading of tea leaves worth nothing more than a cup of tea.

I wonder how tightly scripted camp practices are. Do the OC and DC put their heads together and coordinate details, like down to specific calls on each side of the ball? or do they work independently, each attacking the other as they would a real opponent? My guess is probably bits of both. Point is, it would be easy to favor one side over the other if they coordinate. And that makes all the outside reading of tea leaves worth nothing more than a cup of tea.
You said it spot on!.... I believe both can be true.. especially with BB saying to the team to take of one another as teammates. I expect the O line to be a finished product by camp's end. They will be test right away with that eagle's front. The performance of the O line is everything to this offense. A decent, But not great O line would be sufficient especially when Mac gets rid of the ball quickly.

Both. Scrimmages typically are not coordinated since they want to simulate a real game environment.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back