PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp 7-27-2022

Dumbing down the offense that led you to Super Bowls basically every other year is not something any of us should be "glad" about.
Is it dumbing down though? I was responding to the positive comments from some of the players.

While the meme of "it aint football until the pads go on" isn't wrong, is it more so incomplete? How much in the calculus of building the team are the one on one observations these days? What does a training camp rep really mean? If a WR catches a TD on Twitter does it make a noise?

They're hyped to the moon as a big indicator, but are they really?

I could be over-sensitized (allergic if you will) to the twitterization of football. That may be it, but I just can't get excited and hyped by these "indicators" anymore. Agholor was "uncoverable" all camp last year (as the media is now starting to build the foundation of a narrative for Parker)...and then came actual games (preseason and regular).

I think I've actually bought into the "talk to me after the third regular season game" story as to what I think the Patriots have or don't. Doesn't mean I won't come and read through all the camp related content, but forming any kind of opinion...I dunno if I can anymore.

Thanks for posting a link to my video Mav :) There is a 1080p version HERE. The YouTube upload is still processing and is low res. I still need to do a stabilization on it, which probably wont be done till tomorrow.
Your link on mega is of last year. I thought maybe the title was wrong because it said 2021, but then I saw Gunner and Cam Newton etc.

Love seeing these videos ! So weird to see 44 out there. I don’t think he makes the team, but nice to see that he actually exists. Do they risk carrying 4 TEs ? Or is it Asiasi vs Keene for the 3rd spot ?

For saturday, should I rock my Mac, judon, or Barmore jersey?

Good stuff folks, but I will always miss the excellent write ups by Mrs. B.... she is from the "way back machine"
you can still find her early 2000's training camp reports online

Dumbing down the offense that led you to Super Bowls basically every other year is not something any of us should be "glad" about.
Without Brady it did not seem very effective and the offense did not seem to favor the development of WRs

Love seeing these videos ! So weird to see 44 out there. I don’t think he makes the team, but nice to see that he actually exists. Do they risk carrying 4 TEs ? Or is it Asiasi vs Keene for the 3rd spot ?
No FB means 4 TE'S are likely if Asiasi and Keene look good.

I personally am with you on this one. I don't really love the talk about "streamlining" the offense. I've always felt that this system being so complex was a way that the Patriots had a leg up on the competition, even if it did present a learning curve for new members. I guess we'll see how it goes...

I personally am with you on this one. I don't really love the talk about "streamlining" the offense. I've always felt that this system being so complex was a way that the Patriots had a leg up on the competition, even if it did present a learning curve for new members. I guess we'll see how it goes...

Yeah...

I can accept the need to tighten the playbook for a young QB who's just lost his OC, and to let him work up to the full arsenal of plays and adjustments. That's at least a reasonable adjustment to make, especially with the team making the move to ditch the FB (which is a whole other issue, but not for this conversation). But this particular QB will succeed or fail based upon how much his mind allows him to overcome any physical limitations (be it speed, mobility, arm strength or whatever), so I don't like the rumblings about changing the approach to concepts and the like.

Yeah...

I can accept the need to tighten the playbook for a young QB who's just lost his OC, and to let him work up to the full arsenal of plays and adjustments. That's at least a reasonable adjustment to make, especially with the team making the move to ditch the FB (which is a whole other issue, but not for this conversation). But this particular QB will succeed or fail based upon how much his mind allows him to overcome any physical limitations (be it speed, mobility, arm strength or whatever), so I don't like the rumblings about changing the approach to concepts and the like.
I personally wonder if they're also trying to "streamline" to better accommodate some other offensive pieces that they feel are part of their longer term "core" (Parker, Thornton, Bourne, Jonnu come to mind) and get them comfortable and productive, then build up the complexity over the course of a couple seasons. As in - it's less about the QB and more about the guys around him.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back