PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Training Camp 7-27-2022

I went today.

I think the offense looked better today than the D.

Mac and Parker were easily the highlight of the day.

I thought Rham and Montgomery stood out next. Each making plays in the passing game. Montgomery working against the twos but he seemed good catching out of the backfield and he is bigger than I realized all muscle.

Thornton had a couple of plays in row where he had to make somewhat tough catches one as well to the ground and the other making sure to stay in bounds.

Agholar and Bourne scored too and Jannu had a catch or two.

Outside of one or two rushes that I suppose would have killed the plays and the one pick from Joejuan not much stood out from the D.

But we are gonna be COUNTING on those two rookie CB's this year....just sayin'.....

Maybe, but day one with no pads really doesn't prove anything (positive or negative).

I didn't see that at all.

It was Harris one and Rhamondre two, followed by Taylor and then Harris. I didn't see Strong out there.

This guy sounds like he is trying to get an edge in his fantasy league or start some gossip...
Agreed Simon sounds misinformed

But we are gonna be COUNTING on those two rookie CB's this year....just sayin'.....
This is their FIRST practice vs an NFL receiver. Not just an NFL receiver, but a receiver when healthy, is a 1,000 yard receiver. So I would cut them some slack.

I’m sure Butler and Jackson got beat in their 1st NFL practices as well. They turned out to be good players.

My observations from attending...

Jonnu caught everything, including two one handed grabs that were out of reach on the sideline, he looks really dialed in.

How was Jonnu lining up? In what ways did they use him?

Lol, looks ridiculous. On the other hand, if the tech actually works and prevents one of their key guys from suffering a concussion in a meaningless practice, I have no problem with it.

This is their FIRST practice vs an NFL receiver. Not just an NFL receiver, but a receiver when healthy, is a 1,000 yard receiver. So I would cut them some slack.

I’m sure Butler and Jackson got beat in their 1st NFL practices as well. They turned out to be good players.
I agree with your point in general, but Butler and Jackson might be the two worst possible examples here because they looked like shutdown corners from the very start of rookie OTAs (particularly Butler).

I agree with your point in general, but Butler and Jackson might be the two worst possible examples here because they looked like shutdown corners from the very start of rookie OTAs (particularly Butler).

Did they? I remember there being some buzz about Butler, but despite that he really didn't play much his rookie year until the postseason. In fact, he only played 20+% of the defensive snaps 5 times all regular season, and the 5th one was week 17 when they sat all the starters in the 2nd half. So even he was brought along and trusted slowly his rookie year.

Lol, looks ridiculous. On the other hand, if the tech actually works and prevents one of their key guys from suffering a concussion in a meaningless practice, I have no problem with it.

Football helmets can get very warm in the summertime. Not sure this extra protection helps that.

Did they? I remember there being some buzz about Butler, but despite that he really didn't play much his rookie year until the postseason. In fact, he only played 20+% of the defensive snaps 5 times all regular season, and the 5th one was week 17 when they sat all the starters in the 2nd half. So even he was brought along and trusted slowly his rookie year.
Malcolm and JC had very good TCs and preseasons. Not sure they were "shutdown" but they were good in man coverage.

I don’t wanna jump the gun, but I would think that Parker would be thought of by other teams, as our best receiver (I thought that way the minute they traded for him). No offense to Meyers and Bourne, but Parker is just a notch above. Those 3 together however, with Agholor opening up the outside, and the 2 TEs, if everybody can stay on the field, the offense can be really good.

As it is, even without Parker, and improvements by the 2nd year guys, the Pats were 6th in scoring in the NFL last year.

My observations from attending...

There will be a logjam at WR if everyone stays healthy and look as good in full contact as they do now.

Devante Parker is too big and physical to cover one on one, he just needs to stay healthy.

Bourne hasn't missed a beat and practices like he plays, like his hair is on fire.

Agholor caught a bunch of back corner balls and fades.

Nixon is really quick to go along with that speed, he has no wasted effort in his routes.

Jonnu caught everything, including two one handed grabs that were out of reach on the sideline, he looks really dialed in.

Thornton is lightning fast, he also made a great back corner TD grab towards the end of practice and dead legged it to keep both feet in. Like I said before, the kid has really long arms, he catches balls without jumping.

Keene and Asiasi both caught everything thrown their way, Asiasi caught a back corner fade for a TD, Keene is really quick in and out of breaks for his size.

I didn't see Pierre Strong out there with the RB's?

Kevin Harris isn't just a big bruiser, he caught the ball well also.

Uche was getting a ton of work in pass coverage drills with the LB'ers, hopefully portends a more every down role for him.

The rookie DB's were getting a lot of run, including Schooler back at safety.

Mills and JoeJuan looked really solid.

Jack Jones is why the DB's were doing pushups to end practice, he bit on a look off by Mac and let a man underneath to catch and run right through his zone.
Keene and Asiasi really interesting if those two former Third Rounders show something they would give us some serious dept.

And thus begins our month of pain. “Are our WRs actually good or are our DBs just really bad?” Asked over and over until the season starts and we find out.

...and in the case of last season, it was both.

EDIT: Oops... I mean that in the case of last season, it was No they're not and Yes they are.

Last edited:

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Back