PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

DRAFT Patriots trade up and select DT Christian Barmore

Ken, I think it is a good pick, but as you say, I think it is a gamble. He has excellent natural talent, but not quickness like Donald (perhaps no other NFL DL does). And, he was a bit of a late bloomer. RS freshman season (admittedly competing with a very talented DL). Decent but not dazzling contributions next year, and then as a starter just got better and better as a starter as the year went on until he was defensive MVP in the national championship game.

As an AL fan / resident (as well as a NEP fan), I am "all in" with the AL Mac Jones pick, great pick / gamble and certainly a perfect match for NEP.

IN contrast, for Barmore, I'm not really sure, I agree with you that my opinion of Barmore is: "we will see". If continues to develop with good hard coaching like he did in last year (and especially late in the year especially the playoffs) at AL, he could be amazing. But, he isn't really a classic BB type.
I like that he is not the traditional BB 2 gap style DT and instead is more of a pass rusher and perhaps 1 pap DT. Pats rotate players in the defenseive front seven all the time and game plan like no one else with their defense. His skills fill a need on this team and in today's pass happy NFL. And no DT should be judged against Donald in terms of quickness.

Ah, didn't realize you removed prospects based on an expectation they wouldn't be available so I got confused when I pulled up your spreadsheet after the pick and couldn't find Barmore. Thought it meant you didn't see him as draftable lol. This makes more sense.
Yea I try to keep it as close to 100 prospects, keep a small board pretending I'm Bill. I had him on but just thought he'd go round one and things wouldn't line up.

I like that he is not the traditional BB 2 gap style DT and instead is more of a pass rusher and perhaps 1 pap DT. Pats rotate players in the defenseive front seven all the time and game plan like no one else with their defense. His skills fill a need on this team and in today's pass happy NFL. And no DT should be judged against Donald in terms of quickness.
The fact that he is not a traditional BB type was not a criticism. BB has been able to adapt in a way that other older coaches have not. A wild card pass rusher is needed, hopefully Darmore can be that guy.

The fact that the Pats moved up for Barmore shows that they had him ranked pretty high. They might have even considered him a late 1st round talent.

In round 3, I think they go for a quick twitch WR to make something out of nothing to help out Cam/Jones. If not just stockpile more OL or LB depth.

Either way this year's draft is pleasing because 1st round they waited it out perfectly to get the QB they wanted. But after they restacked their draft board for Day 2, they moved up aggressively to get the guy they wanted but knew wouldn't last until #46.

How to make any QB feel uncomfortable? Make them unable to step up by collapsing the pocket. Barmore has elite size at 6'5 310 and could be a really good 3 technique for us down the road. I'm liking this draft a lot so far!

When he showed up (key factor), he was supposedly "unblockable" like in Aaron Donald 'unblockable". The issue of course was when and IF he showed up.

This is a classic BB 2nd rounder. He's swinging for the fences. If Barmore ends up becoming a "prototypical Patriot" with a red jacket, then he wins. If he turns out to be like that late first round DT he got about 5 years ago, who's name has already been relegated to the dust bin of history, the critics will lump him with all the 2nd round failures of the past decade (even those who actually weren't failures)
His name is Dominique Easley and he had problems outside of football. We are all relegated to the dust in of history.

Last edited:
I love this pick, and got it right: Barmore in the 2nd round.

The bad news is that it means Bill Belichick isn't reading my mock draft any more. Belichick refused to pick every other guy I picked for the Patriots draft for decades. Usually I picked really good players from big name college programs. Belichick would have none of that. I was sure he was reading my Mock and telling the War Room, "Look, this idiot GoHeels picked the following players for our draft. Take their names off our Board boys."

We'll know if he picks Chazz Surratt, UNC in the 4th round - small linebacker who played QB at UNC and in high school - smart, classic Swiss Army Knife football player who could be a big safety, OLB, or H-Back. Throws left-handed. Think 6-3, 235 lb. Julian Edelman.

Last edited:
His name is Mike Easley and he had problems outside of football. We are all relegated to the dust in of history.
His name isn't Mike, also injuries were just as big of a problem as the non-football stuff.

This guy was the highest rated tackle in the draft. The Patriots gave up 537 trade value points
and got 530 trade value points in return.
seemed like an overpay but it was spot on

Baltimore was def gonna take him

Judging by the trade up, I'm wondering if BB was planning on trading down and selecting Barmore later in the 1st if a QB wasn't there at 15.

Starts out as a direct replacement for Butler and hopefully grows from there.

Nice videos with commentaries here by a Baltimore guy who really wanted him.

Commentary earlier in the thread suggests he's not good (or maybe inconsistent) against the run - but "Barmore was 2nd in PFF's run stop % in '20"

Justis has been lazy lately, not his best effort but he's still the best.

No one would have been surprised if Barmore went around 25 so the trade value we gave up was worth it IMO. This is also good for L. Guy. He gets some plays off now and will have more gas. This front 7 is looking deep. Still need a backer and DB but not desperately.
Has Dylan Moses been drafted yet lol. All ‘Bama draft.

youtube. He was very active but I didn't like what I saw of guys running past his gap etc. Ole Miss is the most recent clip I watched and I didn't really like it. I clearly see the pass rush potential though.

Agree. Barmore is not Vince Wilfork. Barmore is a pass rushing DLineman more like Jarvis Green. Barmore is not a run stuffing DT, he gets pushed back a lot. But he really had a good December and January especially in the playoffs. I wonder if he's more a DE and not a DT in our system.

Love all three picks, wow

Dane Brugler's summary:

A one-year starter at Alabama, Barmore was the starting defensive end in head coach Nick Saban’s 3-4 base scheme, lining up at various alignments from 4i to zero-technique. After redshirting in 2018, he flashed intriguing upside in 2019 as a part-time player (22.4 snaps per game) and moved into the starting rotation in 2020 (39.8 snaps per game) as he emerged as one of the best defensive linemen in the country over the second half of the season (7.0 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks, two forced fumbles over the final six games). Barmore is naturally powerful to create immediate knockback and flashes the quickness to blast through gaps and close to the football. While he competes with violent intentions, he gets overextended and frenetic at times and must improve his reliability versus the run. Overall, Barmore comes with obvious risk due to his inexperience and the raw elements to his game, but he doesn’t stay blocked long due to his play strength, explosiveness, and energy. He projects as a position-versatile NFL starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling.

Dane Brugler's summary:

A one-year starter at Alabama, Barmore was the starting defensive end in head coach Nick Saban’s 3-4 base scheme, lining up at various alignments from 4i to zero-technique. After redshirting in 2018, he flashed intriguing upside in 2019 as a part-time player (22.4 snaps per game) and moved into the starting rotation in 2020 (39.8 snaps per game) as he emerged as one of the best defensive linemen in the country over the second half of the season (7.0 tackles for loss, 6.0 sacks, two forced fumbles over the final six games). Barmore is naturally powerful to create immediate knockback and flashes the quickness to blast through gaps and close to the football. While he competes with violent intentions, he gets overextended and frenetic at times and must improve his reliability versus the run. Overall, Barmore comes with obvious risk due to his inexperience and the raw elements to his game, but he doesn’t stay blocked long due to his play strength, explosiveness, and energy. He projects as a position-versatile NFL starter with a Pro Bowl ceiling.

This is right. Position versatile DE (not NT) with a pro bowl ceiling. Not stout against the run (yet) but a good pass rusher. Kid is only 20 years old.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back