PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots trade 5th Rounder

I agree. I assume there is a UDFA that the draft committee agrees on and wants the 7th for that guy.

But the Pats won the trade per the draft value chart, so maybe it was the Texans dumping some picks because they have too many? No real way to know. If the Pats went to the Texans with the trade proposal to lock in a 7th, why would the Texans agree unless the trade value was in their favor (I am arguing against myself)?

Yeah, I think you are arguing against yourself :D.

I just think it has to do with the # of picks...the Texans will have too many guys taking up their rookie pool $$$ (Watson trade)...better to add UDFA's who don't count vs. the top 51 yet...

Good picks to have if player x is on chopping block by any team.

I hope you're ready for disappointment Chris lol
You can never be ready for Bills head scratcher picks.
I’m going Bobby and Mike take the wheel in the first and move to 12 or 13 for Jameson Williams.

IMO it's not good value. Moving back 13 spots for an udfa.
Ok.

Why not think of it like this:
It's an additional piece for them to use to move around the draft to get the Players they want.

Also, it guarantees them the "UDFA" they want without having to fight over him to get him signed.

6th round picks are fairly worthless, nonsense trade.

This year it is said the draft pool
Is a little deeper in the later rounds due to COVID overload. After the beginning to mid 4th round, it could be said that a lot of the talent is comparable through the next 3 rounds. I like the trade because of this reason.

Ariaza, welcome to NE..
He'll be long gone by round 6, I bet. I think this trade lessens the chance he's getting drafted by the Pats.

This year it is said the draft pool
Is a little deeper in the later rounds due to COVID overload. After the beginning to mid 4th round, it could be said that a lot of the talent is comparable through the next 3 rounds. I like the trade because of this reason.

Jack Jones, Marquan McCall, Velez Jr, as examples, might be there. Bottom line: this class is weird and consensus is hard to find on lots and lots of guys, which is why trading DOWN is going to be harder and less rewarding.

He'll be long gone by round 6, I bet. I think this trade lessens the chance he's getting drafted by the Pats.

Jack Jones, Marquan McCall, Velez Jr, as examples, might be there. Bottom line: this class is weird and consensus is hard to find on lots and lots of guys, which is why trading DOWN is going to be harder and less rewarding.
Sanborn, Sewell, are some other names I’ll be looking for.

McCall falling to the 7th reminds me a lot of Cliff Avril. I think he is a lot better than a 7th, I’d have no problems picking him earlier if they think they can work this guy into something worthwhile.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back