PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Standouts Through 10 Games

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
After a horrific 2-4 start, including 0-4 at home and a historically-embarassing negative-yards rushing game, the team has won 4 straight.

Several players below are notable as Patriot standouts. I would give a major non-player callout to coach Steve Belichick who has been doing a great job as DC. Patriot defense has only given up 12.5 points per game the last 4 weeks, including scoring on pick6's or setting up the offense for 1st and Goal. For the year, the Patriot Defense is 2nd in the league in points allowed per game (17.5pts/game) which is impressive given Jonathan Jones is out, Gilmore is gone, and Bentley / Godchaux / Mills are not good at their positions.

PlayerStat/NFL RankNotes
Mac Jones69% Comp. (4th)5th in PFF QB Ratings
J.C. Jackson5 INT (t-2nd), 14 Passes Defensed (1st)46.8 Opposing QB Rating
Matthew Judon9.5 sacks (t-4th)31 QB Pressures
Kendrick Bourne15.76 yards/rec (11th)130.0 QB Rating when targetted
Damien Harris7 rush TD (t-4th)4th in PFF RB Ratings
Nick Folk91 points (1st), FGA 22-of-24 (1st)25-of-28 on XPs
Hunter Henry7 rec TD (4th)0 drops
Gunner Olszewski13.8 yards/PR (5th)4 20+-yardreturns (2nd)

Source:

Last edited:
The stats may not tell the whole story. Barmore and Phillips belong on any list of Patriots standouts.

Great point.

Barmore is a beast commanding double teams and he stabilized the entire run defense too. Philips is a major playmaker. A lot of players have made a positive leap.

Others who have stabilized very critical roles are Bryant at slot corner, Karras at LG, Bolden at 3D-RB.

All the Above and
Bill Belichick. Maybe his best coaching yet

It's absolutely up there although BB has so many great pieces of work it's hard to rank.

I also forgot Dugger. Leads the whole team in total tackles and also has 3 INTs ! My concern for Dugger was pass defense would hold his career back at being a 3down guy, but if he is a starter level pass defender now of TEs, this is an extremely exciting development for the entire team.

Last edited:
It's absolutely up there although BB has so many great pieces of work it's hard to rank.

I also forgot Dugger. Leads the whole team in total tackles and also has 3 INTs ! My concern for Dugger was pass defense would hold his career back at being a 3down guy but if he is a starter level pass defender now of TEs, this is an extremely exciting development for the entire team.
I can’t believe the turnaround with this team.
Many new players learning a new system. Rookie QB at the helm.
This team is fun to watch and a team to be reckoned with
We are back
Dugger is playing solid ball

Judon has become maybe a top 5 FA signing of all time in the Belichick era. I would need to think about it, but that's how good he has been

I can’t believe the turnaround with this team.
Many new players learning a new system. Rookie QB at the helm.
This team is fun to watch and a team to be reckoned with
We are back
Dugger is playing solid ball

Last 4 weeks have been awesome.

It's been jeckyll and hyde.

Does give me some minor concern as losing games we should have won and massive vengeance blowouts, reminds me of some seasons in the past where they ended up never putting it all together. The consistency is all over the place.

Last 4 weeks have been awesome.

It's been jeckyll and hyde.

Does give me some minor concern as losing games we should have won and massive vengeance blowouts, reminds me of some seasons in the past where they ended up never putting it all together. The consistency is all over the place.

What I am intrigued about is after losing those tough close games they could have nosedived for the rest of the year.
Instead the bright spot is there is enough leadership on the team to now turn into a team that blows teams out
As Bill always says “we never know what type of team we have till after Thanksgiving”.
Well Thanksgiving has come early. I like what I see

What I am intrigued about is after losing those tough close games they could have nosedived for the rest of the year.
Instead the bright spot is there is enough leadership on the team to now turn into a team that blows teams out
As Bill always says “we never know what type of team we have till after Thanksgiving”.
Well Thanksgiving has come early. I like what I see

It's very heartening to see. And you can tell BB likes this team. Shows a lot of heart to come back 4 straight weeks. I credit the staff, the entire staff. I hope they keep it up. It would be just so great if they answer back this year after the incredible tb12 year.

Who can forget the great Josh McDaniels? Just knocking it out of the park this year.

This past Sunday was his best called game of the 10 games. By far. I hope he keeps it up. Stay run heavy, heavy personnel. 34 run to 26 passes last game. Forget QB passing stats and crappy spread shotgun. Just win and play complementary football. Get a ton of 1st downs and own time of possession. Keep it up. Should have been doing this since week1.

And let the mediot pundits diss Mac's arm or call him a system-QB for only throwing 200 yards (who cares) every week while the Pats just keep winning. I never had faith the oc would go for non-flashy winning over chasing empty passing stats but I am much encouraged by the last 4 weeks.

Last edited:
Quoting this for posterity :D.

I've said this a half dozen times. It's too bad he hasn't done this since week1.

And if he goes back to crappy spread shotgun I'll be the first to call it

View attachment 37739
"Old time hockey! Ernie Shore!"

The best way to protect your rookie QB is to punch the opposing DLine in the mouth via running plays, and mix in play action or screens to take advantage of their over-aggressiveness among DE's or LB's. If we need to run it 40 times a game, so be it. My 2 priorities for this year are the outside chance they go to a Superbowl, and secondly preserving our rookie QB's health (body and mental health) as much as possible.

In addition to Barmore and Phillips as the prior poster mentioned, I would also include: Onwenu, Mills and more recently Myles Bryant.

Here's a good Globe article out today about how Dugger has made the leap (and also significantly improved his passing defense)

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back