PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Signing S Jaylinn Hawkins

A lot of people are saying "special teams player" but he does have starting experience. Seems like a guy who is probably more likely to be a ST player but can be a guy who sees snaps on defense if they don't draft or sign a replacement for him later and he won't be inept.

OK maybe he will be good...but is there some aversion to signing players that have established league wide reputations.
Very BB like signing. This will not get fans excited for 2024

Last edited:
Still not a single impact signing after entering the offseason with $100M+ in cap space. Cheapest team in the NFL the last decade continues to shop in the bargain bin. Feel bad for Mayo and his staff.

Why feel bad for Mayo? He went to Israel with his boss and they came back friends with cute nicknames and job promises. Just has to wear his pin right and walk back any comments Thunder doesn't like.

I didn’t watch the series because I don’t have Apple+ but I did read the book, and it’s a shame because the comments here make it sound like the series was a hatchet job, but I found the book to be phenomenal. Anyway, one thing the book tried to emphasize was that Belichick was hired by Kraft in the personnel role precisely because he valued players the same way Kraft did. That Kraft was a huge believer in spreading the wealth among a lot of players and not a few stars, and was against overpaying for older free agents and paying instead for the younger guys. That this was one thing they always saw eye to eye on.

So given that, I am not surprised whatsoever about this offseason so far. If we didn’t know Bill was let go, we would think this was a Bill offseason, with the possible exceptions of 1) resigning more of their own guys rather than getting a comparable player from another team, and 2) the looser purse strings for Ridley. And even 2 is a stretch knowing how shocked everyone was about how much Bill spent for Agholor in 2021.

Yep, the book was pro-Kraft similar to the series....but never really crapped on Belichick. The book was more about how Kraft went from a season ticket holder to owner to keeping the Pats in Foxboro (both St. Louis and Hartford).

The Dynasty series was all about the BB-Brady era....and too much emphasis was put on assigning blame for the Hernandez situation and the team's schism that started in 2017.....

While I did not appreciate the Dynasty ripping Belichick....the series did redeem itself in the final episode with Pioli saying the BB-Brady argument was downright disrespectful to all the players who played for us...then they did a montage of all ex-players making big plays. Later on...Harrison and DMac came out saying that they didn't like how they were portrayed in the series and that each did about 5-6 hours of filming...and the series just cut out everything except the negative ****.

Anyway, yes...I agree....Kraft was always on board with the team's economic approach spearheaded by Belichick/Adams.....

Ok

A replacement for Phillips.

We still need to find a free safety upgrade For Mills.

Jag.

Should have kept Jalen Mills and/or signed someone else.

Still not a single impact signing after entering the offseason with $100M+ in cap space. Cheapest team in the NFL the last decade continues to shop in the bargain bin. Feel bad for Mayo and his staff.

It's tough to sign impact players when none of them want to come to a bottom of the barrel team. It was like this in pre-Brady years. To be clear, I'm not taking a position on whether Kraft is cheap or not. Signs are that he is, but a few years of winning will be required before they can attract big names to a cold weather stadium with crap facilities for players.

They actually have spent a fair bit of money - albeit mostly on re-signing their own players:

They started with the most cash available so you'd think that would equate to being higher on these lists but at least they're not at the bottom.

I'm still hopeful for something bigger, though at this point that might be Barmore or something like that.

I hate to say it because it can be taken the wrong way, but this offseason feels very much Belichickian. Spending time signing ST players while leaving giant gaping holes at LT/WR. Josh Jones just signed a one year deal with Ravens, and we apparently can't even get on some of that. FO better hope they draft as well as they think they would, or else this could get ugly quickly

They started with the most cash available so you'd think that would equate to being higher on these lists but at least they're not at the bottom.

I'm still hopeful for something bigger, though at this point that might be Barmore or something like that.
Some free agency priorities

1. Sign a free safety to replace Mills.

2. Re-sign or replace Bryant.

3. Trade for a #1 WR.

4. Perhaps add an interim LT.

5. Sign a #2 RB.

6. Sign #3 TE.

7. Sign a STer.or two. We have los a few.

THE DRAFT
is all about QB, LT, and WR.

I hate to say it because it can be taken the wrong way, but this offseason feels very much Belichickian. Spending time signing ST players while leaving giant gaping holes at LT/WR. Josh Jones just signed a one year deal with Ravens, and we apparently can't even get on some of that. FO better hope they draft as well as they think they would, or else this could get ugly quickly

I agree its quite belickian. And to me its really not a bad thing if we hit on our picks.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back