PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign RB/WR Sam McGuffie To Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. Seems everyone is giving Dobson and Boyce a pass this year considering they were both rookies. Thompkins made much harder catches than both of them. He seems to make the hard catches look easy and the easy catches look hard. This is something that can be corrected in the off- season but I guess this board doesnt' feel an UDFA rookie is entitled to the same treatment as the drafted players. Glad BB is running the show.

Once Gronkowski and Amendola returned in week 6-7 (and later Vereen), Kenbrell Thompkins went on to catch a whopping total of 11 receptions during our last 11 games. How in the world do you look at Thompkins and come away with the feeling that "since he's an UDFA, no one on the board is giving him credit?"

People aren't giving him enough credit because he totally disappeared after the middle of October down the stretch of our last 3 months, and not for any other reason. You talk about how Thompkins looked capable of making difficult catches, but you don't bring up his inability to beat man coverage whatsoever, his insanely poorly rounded routes, or the fact that he suffered a major lack of chemistry with our QB. The only real exception would be the DEN game in week #12.

This has nothing to do with the fact that fans aren't giving him a chance, and much more to do with the fact that he didn't look very good and the position obviously needs improving upon. Thompkins will have his chance to compete in training camp along with all of our players from last year, and new acquisitions for added competition. If he proves his worth, good for him. Either way, he's not going to be any higher than a WR4 at best no matter what (or at least let's hope so).

Just as a point of comparison, the cap hits for cutting them:
Dobson: ~$385K less cap room
Boyce: ~$160K less cap room
Thompkins: ~$75K more cap room

His point is that if Thompkins needs competition because of his play, surely Dobson (who was just as unproductive), and Boyce (who couldn't get Dobson or Thompkins off the field) need competition as well.

His point is that if Thompkins needs competition because of his play, surely Dobson (who was just as unproductive), and Boyce (who couldn't get Dobson or Thompkins off the field) need competition as well.

While your point is duly noted, the upside and raw talent/skillset of Aaron Dobson is probably about 10 levels above Kenbrell Thompkins, so I don't think there's much comparison there.

Either way, it sure looks like the hype is on for Dobson to be our clear cut WR2, while Thompkins and Boyce will be battling it out for depth chart roles at WR4/WR5 guys.

I think that we'll have good competition at the position once some new players are brought in, so that's what we all want. If Thompkins plays well enough in OTAs and TC to show that he deserves the job, then more power to him. I think he'll be tested a bit more this season than he was last year, however.

If Thompkins plays well enough in OTAs and TC to show that he deserves the job, then more power to him. I think he'll be tested a bit more this season than he was last year, however.

Exactly. Kenny the Faller had literally Zero competition for his spot on the 53. He merely had to
walk & chew gum at the same time, and the fact that he was a couple of years older than the average rookie didn't hurt either.

He can tell his grandkids about the Saints game back in 2013.
Otherwise, the guy's a #6/7 WR, at best.

Exactly. Kenny the Faller had literally Zero competition for his spot on the 53. He merely had to
walk & chew gum at the same time, and the fact that he was a couple of years older than the average rookie didn't hurt either.

In a perfect world with sufficient competition at WR, he very well may not even make the team. If he does, it would likely be at nothing more than a position of depth where he won't see much of the field. I wouldn't mind that, especially if Belichick and O'Shea feel that they can help to develop him going forward.

I agree with you that there didn't seem to be much (if any) competition whatsoever in training camp last season, so that likely had a lot to do with him stepping up above Dobson/Boyce.

I say throw him in the mix and see what rises to the top. It can't be any worse than last season, that's for sure.

In a perfect world with sufficient competition at WR, he very well may not even make the team. If he does, it would likely be at nothing more than a position of depth where he won't see much of the field. I wouldn't mind that, especially if Belichick and O'Shea feel that they can help to develop him going forward.

I agree with you that there didn't seem to be much (if any) competition whatsoever in training camp last season, so that likely had a lot to do with him stepping up above Dobson/Boyce.

I say throw him in the mix and see what rises to the top. It can't be any worse than last season, that's for sure.

You guys don't think "Molasses Mike" Jenkins and Donald Jones were real competition? :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3