PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign RB/WR Sam McGuffie To Practice Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

manxman2601

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
@Patriots: We've signed RB Sam McGuffie to the practice squad & released RB Cierre Wood from the practice squad.

This kid is seriously athletic:

Sam McGuffie, RB/WR, Rice
The diverse job description of the slot receiver in the NFL leads evaluators to covet prospects with versatile skills. McGuffie definitely qualifies, based on his standout career as a running back/receiver at Rice following a one-year stint at Michigan. He finished with over 1,000 yards rushing and receiving at Rice, displaying intriguing skills with the ball in his hands. McGuffie routinely turned quick passes and bubble screens into big gains, while also showing the ability to work effectively between the hashes. He continued to impress scouts with his talent at regional combines. He clocked 40 times in the 4.3-second range while also posting impressive measurements in the vertical jump (40.5 inches), broad jump (11-foot-2) and short shuttle (4.02 seconds). Those numbers place McGuffie near the top of the charts among his peers in the 2013 draft class. Now, McGuffie's injury history (numerous concussions) is a concern, but his combination of speed, quickness and running skills will make him a strong late-round prospect in draft rooms across the league.

Sam McGuffie Draft Profile ? NFL.com

Add in a 6.57 3-cone on top of that, all at 5-11 and 200lbs. After his regional combine performance, I thought he was a shoe-in for the Pats. Surprised it took this long to be honest.

MCGUFFIE MIXTAPE! - YouTube

It's quite possible that none will make it, but McGuffie, Harrison and Moe are real upside guys for next year's offense.

McGuffie and Moe can compete in the offseason for....3rd string slot WR?

Seems redundant to add this kid, but it is just a practice squad spot.

McGuffie and Moe can compete in the offseason for....3rd string slot WR?

Seems redundant to add this kid, but it is just a practice squad spot.

Well as Edelman is no guarantee to return and Boyce has hardly set the world alight, why third string slot WR? He probably won't make the roster, but McGuffie's upside is Danny Woodhead so I'm fine with being in a good position to get him in to camp next year.

Cierre Wood is going to spend the off season playing in the Jamaican league

Surprised they cut cierrce wood. Thought he was good. McDuffie is kind of without a position. I wanted that preseason wr to get signed Simms or something.

Surprised they cut cierrce wood. Thought he was good. McDuffie is kind of without a position. I wanted that preseason wr to get signed Simms or something.

Quentin Sims.

It's quite possible that none will make it, but McGuffie, Harrison and Moe are real upside guys for next year's offense.

All your white smurf are belong to BB.

As a RB/WR could he instead be a Vereen backup?

McGuffie, Boyce & Vereen would be a pretty potent trio in an up tempo offense based on the speed all 3 possess.

Next season when everyone is more fluid with the scheme it wouldn't be surprising at all to see the up-tempo make a comeback.

It'd be nice if McGuffie could become Woodhead 2.0 too, remember the Jets couldn't decide if he was a WR or RB and Belichick slotted him in at RB and the rest is history as they say.

5'10 2/8" /200 lbs.. 42 in vertical. 4.36 - 40. 3.93 short shuttle , 6.57 3-Cone..

26 reps at 225..

LOVE this move. This guy is a true speed demon who is a team first type of player. He came to Rice as a RB, and after some solid seasons at RB, they asked him to switch to WR as a senior, and he had a very good senior year. These were his college stats. Please note, he missed a lot of time with injuies in 2011.

Rushing & ReceivingData Coverage (*=bowl stats included) · Glossary · SHARESHARE [X] · Embed · CSV · PRE · LINK · ?
Rushing Receiving Scrimmage
Year School Conf Class Pos Att Yds Avg TD Rec Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg TD
2008 Michigan Big Ten RB 118 486 4.1 3 19 175 9.2 1 137 661 4.8 4
2010 Rice CUSA RB 197 883 4.5 6 39 384 9.8 3 236 1267 5.4 9
2011 Rice CUSA RB 38 158 4.2 1 9 72 8.0 1 47 230 4.9 2
*2012 Rice CUSA RB 5 16 3.2 0 54 603 11.2 5 59 619 10.5 5
Career Overall 358 1543 4.3 10 121 1234 10.2 10 479 2777 5.8 20
Michigan 118 486 4.1 3 19 175 9.2 1 137 661 4.8 4
Rice 240 1057 4.4 7 102 1059 10.4 9 342 2116 6.2 16

I believe he's the only player in Rice history to have 1,000 yards rushing and 1,000 yards recieving (career wise). Very versatile and sick measurables. Actually had a better 2012 than TJ Moe receiving. Hopefully he can pull a Welker/Amendola/Woodhead and show enough to stick with a team (ours).

Pats sure do love their short white dudes at receiver:D

Pats sure do love their short white dudes at receiver:D

And they all seem to produce under Tom Brady. With Edelman, we haven't lost a beat by losing Welker. Amendola has had some excellent moments. And now let's see what Moe and McGuffie bring us.

As a RB/WR could he instead be a Vereen backup?
This is my guess. He's got a lot of Woodhead qualities. I don't think McGuffie would be as good of a runner as either Woodhead or Vereen, but they do really need somebody who can be that receiving mismatch from the RB spot. Bolden wasn't good enough.

love it, unless it's the writing on the wall for Edelman. we MUST retain JE.

Players with a concussion history make me very wary. How do you use him as anything but a one dimensional pass catching RB. Perhaps, he's simply a slot receiver who can do an occasional draw. Hopefully, he'll do fine as Vereen's backup.

I was interested in McGuffie around draft time, as a 7th/UFA type of player. He is an absolutely tremendous athlete and could be a real asset on special teams. Hopefully he can find a role and eventually contribute.

After the draft I seriously thought he'd be in Patriots camp as a UDFA. Like manxman2601, I'm surprised it has taken this long for him to get a look. He's definitely more physically gifted than Cierre Wood.

His medical issues scared teams away during the draft and his underwhelming training camp in Oakland got him cut. If he can stay healthy and prove he belongs, he has a great shot to compete for spot next season.

His talent can definitely cultivated with the right coaching staff to maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses.

I can see him being more of a jack-of-all-trades type, playing RB, WR, and on special teams and in the return game, if he could ever live up to his potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3