PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Raiders S Obi Melifonwu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your latter paragraph is reminding me a lot of Barkevious Mingo, except that BB traded for him.

Mingo's one example, though I thought his physical size made him an oddity for his position in the Patriots system. Coleman (WR) from this year would be another.

Your latter paragraph is reminding me a lot of Barkevious Mingo, except that BB traded for him.

I forget where Mingo is now (Seattle?). He's carved out an okay role for himself, but its telling how far Seattle's D has fallen and he's there. Freak athlete, but just with speed - can be totally eliminated by strength players.

This should further solidify that it is very rare for BB to willingly let go a player that he can't maximize anymore (ex. including not overpaying for them to stay).

That rather than simply his drafting should be the measuring stick for his GM-capabilities.

Perfect for coverage LB. Also can tackle. Led U Conn tackles his senior year.
DW Toys
Right on the money. Here's a guy in serious need of good coaching.

With Harmon, Chung, and McCourty all over 30, clearly getting younger at S was going to be a priority this off season. Think of this as just an early draft pick.

I don't see him having any impact on THIS year's team other than ST's depth. But it should jump start his off season by being here for the last 2-3 months of the season. And if, during that time, they find he's just another winner of the underwear Olympics who can't play football, there's very little downside.

On the plus side, he COULD end up being that LB/S hybrid I've been dreaming about for the last few years, that is IF they can coach up his "instincts" and football IQ to match his athletic ability.

I know nothing about the guy, but if he's worth anything he'll probably have to show it on special teams for a while first before he'd ever get defensive snaps. My guess.
He went to Grafton High School. There...now you know something :p

I think its a good sign that Melifonwu wants to play on special teams. Let him cut his teeth there while he learns the Pats defensive system.

I always saw Melifonwu as less of a Box Safety/LB and more of the type of dual safety BB had been looking for long term. One that he'd hoped Chung and Richards would fill.. We'll have to see how he pans out.
Good sign he wants to play special teams? You speak as if he is some kind of stud who is above that.
He better play whatever damn special team he is assigned to or he will be out of work again.

Rumor is he is soft and made of glass

Right on the money. Here's a guy in serious need of good coaching.

With Harmon, Chung, and McCourty all over 30, clearly getting younger at S was going to be a priority this off season. Think of this as just an early draft pick.

I don't see him having any impact on THIS year's team other than ST's depth. But it should jump start his off season by being here for the last 2-3 months of the season. And if, during that time, they find he's just another winner of the underwear Olympics who can't play football, there's very little downside.

On the plus side, he COULD end up being that LB/S hybrid I've been dreaming about for the last few years, that is IF they can coach up his "instincts" and football IQ to match his athletic ability.

Just an FYI. Harmon is 27..

Depends how long he's signed for, but if more than one year this is one of those "long range" signings where he'll play ST pretty exclusively year one (maybe show something in playoffs depending on how far he comes in the schema) but will be fully re-evaluated/better utilized in year two of the system.

He's got all the physical tools to be the hybrid Chung successor we all want (or even better a Chung running mate for two TE or Kelce WR types) that can both cover the big guys AND get after the run game and RBs out of the backfield when in nickel/dime alignments.

This is a potential (key word there) counter RPO signing all the way, with ST the short term bonus.
Let’s not put him in the hall of fame yet, he wasn’t good enough to play for the raiders.

It’s a “here’s a guy who is unemployed who might be able to be active on game day and play some special teams and maybe, possibly see the field on defense eventually” signing.

Let’s not put him in the hall of fame yet, he wasn’t good enough to play for the raiders.

Nope just stating how I think they will try to use him. As I posted in another thread - BB GM knows when to cut bait too.

Nope just stating how I think they will try to use him. As I posted in another thread - BB GM knows when to cut bait too.
Ok. Your post seemed to describe his as the missing link to a new Belichick scheme.
Let’s see if he can cover a kick first lol.

With his size, they'll probably try to get him to add some bulk to his frame in hopes of giving him a shot at LB. Pretty much your run of the mill "throw it at the wall and see if it sticks" signing.

Let the Star Wars jokes, and if he actually makes any impact plays headlines tags as well, begin.

BB signed Obi to be an LB or a plan B RB? maybe....

Status
Not open for further replies.

What Did Drew Bledsoe Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast? Here’s the Full Transcript
What Did Belichick Say at Tom Brady’s Netflix Roast?  Here’s the Full Transcript
Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
Back