PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots sign Nick Folk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rumor has it Joe Cardona is getting called to active duty in December. Happy Halloween...muahahaha!

Regards
Chris

It's weird, it's like kickers is the one area where that magical Bill Belichick/Ernie Adams/whatever crazy mojo doesn't seem to apply. All these standard retreads. Where's the 4D chess when it comes to kickers? Where's the, I dunno, Australian kangaroo fighter who uses his feet in such a clever way Bill just somehow knew he'd be a great kicker? So disappointing.

It's weird, it's like kickers is the one area where that magical Bill Belichick/Ernie Adams/whatever crazy mojo doesn't seem to apply. All these standard retreads. Where's the 4D chess when it comes to kickers? Where's the, I dunno, Australian kangaroo fighter who uses his feet in such a clever way Bill just somehow knew he'd be a great kicker? So disappointing.
I remember reading a story about how Justin Tucker obsessively practiced kicking in high school the point that people made fun of him for it, and someone pointed out that if it worked out at all he'd go to college for free at a minimum and maybe make millions of dollars.

The moral: I have no idea how there aren't like 50 guys in the world who can reliably get the job done. I'm sure this is an ignorant position on my part that doesn't properly weight how intense the mental aspect of the job is, but I don't get how there aren't hundreds of sets of parents whose entire college plan for their kid is "eh, make sure he kicks a football real good". Just seems like the weirdest market inefficiency. Like, I get the dearth of QBs and LTs, because the unique combination of traits required to be even a decent NFL starter at either position is absurdly rare and in a lot of ways can't really be learned for 99% of the population. But... kickers?

Folk can kick long field goals. His long is 56

Nugent's is 58, and we all saw how that worked out. I think we just have to accept that for better or worse we're going to have to get through this season with a trash kicker because there are no reliable ones sitting around waiting for a phone call in November.

When we cut Nugent today, part of me wondered if we were doing it to trade for some tanking/out of contention team's kicker, which I would have totally been in favor of. I even looked up the Dolphins roster to see who the hell their kicker is because it's not like they have any real use for one, only to find it's some 23 year kid who's 5/8 on the year... so no thanks.

Last edited:
I remember reading a story about how Justin Tucker obsessively practiced kicking in high school the point that people made fun of him for it, and someone pointed out that if it worked out at all he'd go to college for free at a minimum and maybe make millions of dollars.

The moral: I have no idea how there aren't like 50 guys in the world who can reliably get the job done. I'm sure this is an ignorant position on my part that doesn't properly weight how intense the mental aspect of the job is, but I don't get how there aren't hundreds of sets of parents whose entire college plan for their kid is "eh, make sure he kicks a football real good". Just seems like the weirdest market inefficiency. Like, I get the dearth of QBs and LTs, because the unique combination of traits required to be even a decent NFL starter at either position is absurdly rare and in a lot of ways can't really be learned for 99% of the population. But... kickers?
Agree with all of this, including the acknowledgment that we’re probably being ignorant here. But it does seem weird.

Agree with all of this, including the acknowledgment that we’re probably being ignorant here. But it does seem weird.
I guess it is time to start a college department dedicated to kicking. As long as you're sober and not quadriplegic, you're a valid candidate for success.

Nugent's is 58, and we all saw how that worked out. I think we just have to accept that for better or worse we're going to have to get through this season with a trash kicker because there are no reliable ones sitting around waiting for a phone call in November.

When we cut Nugent today, part of me wondered if we were doing it to trade for some tanking/out of contention team's kicker, which I would have totally been in favor of. I even looked up the Dolphins roster to see who the hell their kicker is because it's not like they have any real use for one, only to find it's some 23 year kid who's 5/8 on the year... so no thanks.

There are people that do that. Joey Slye of the Panthers is one of them, he was two years ahead of my son in a rival High School in our town. His brother died of cancer, while his brother was dying he promised his brother he'd make it to the NFL. He was a solid LB, but was a really good kicker. Now I admit I didn't think he was NFL or even VT good. He spent an absurd amount of time practicing place kicks. Gets a free ride to Tech, and then when Gano went down got a chance with the Panthers and is kicking the hell out of the ball.

FIXED it for you.

Super Bowl is in Miami. January will be home field in Foxboro. That’d probably be hard for folk.

Any kicker we or anybody signs mid-season is defacto the 32nd best kicker in the league or else they'd be kicking for somebody else.

Given that the Falcons just picked up the guy who lost to the guy we just cut, and given that Adam Vinatieri has missed 4 FGAs and 4 PATs already, I'd say that we need to find some other baseless claim to try out.

Australian kangaroo fighter

Just when you can't read another 'why didn't we draft this guy' or 'the sky is falling we're doomed' post...along comes Aluminum Seats...

AND TOTALLY REDEEM...ummmm...ourselves.

Also there is certainly a physical aspect to it. The same reason why Golf is dominated by the same handful of guys in year in and out. You could practice everyday year round (many thousands do) and you’ll never make the PGA tour, never mind win a major.

If Folk doesn't work out perhaps we can coax Rolf Benirschke out of retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes