PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Sign DT Adams

More evidence that the Pats might be thinking Offense (QB??) when it comes to draft time, they have made a huge effort on D and it will be quite a bit different in '21.

With that being said the Pats trade down and choose Micah Parsons, because you never know..

My only question is whether we have a legitimate NT. Is Godchaux that at 311lbs?
Excellent question, which is why I was a little surprised to see Allen was released this morning (until I heard about the failed physical). It would be great to have another option. I mean, I guess Carl Davis is another option, but with his concussion history I wouldn’t want to bank on it (like how I wouldn’t want to bank on Edelman’s health when putting together the WR unit).

I'm not convinced they actually want one.

Godchaux is the closest thing to one they have. Not a true wide-body, but darn close.

His strength and ability to anchor is absurdly impressive, though. He'll be run-stopper #1.

I agree that they don't seem to be seeking a pure NT like Wilfork or Washington anymore. The rationale is probably that they're too antiquated and purely 1-down (or 0-down) players against most teams these days.

Loading up with one Wilfork-lite, and several guys in the mold of Anderson/Adams/Davis (and maybe Hicks, I'd love to snag him) seems to be the approach.

My only question is whether we have a legitimate NT. Is Godchaux that at 311lbs?
I don't know if BB sees this 340+ pounds NT as a fit in modern NFL against these formations and run schemes. If your guy at 0 T like Godchaux is able to hold his own against a double team but still has more quickness to slip past blocks and pursuit to defend outside zone than I'd take Godchaux. He might not win there consistently like a 340+ type but if he can get off blocks better i think it's ok

Excellent question, which is why I was a little surprised to see Allen was released this morning (until I heard about the failed physical). It would be great to have another option. I mean, I guess Carl Davis is another option, but with his concussion history I wouldn’t want to bank on it (like how I wouldn’t want to bank on Edelman’s health when putting together the WR unit).

Aside from Wise and Cowart maybe, there’s very little pass rush on the DL. We’re golden at LB for pass rush (-ish) but a little too segmented in my eye. Would like a little more balance on the DL.

Godchaux is the closest thing to one they have. Not a true wide-body, but darn close.

His strength and ability to anchor is absurdly impressive, though. He'll be run-stopper #1.

I agree that they don't seem to be seeking a pure NT like Wilfork or Washington anymore. The rationale is probably that they're too antiquated and purely 1-down (or 0-down) players against most teams these days.

Loading up with one Wilfork-lite, and several guys in the mold of Anderson/Adams/Davis (and maybe Hicks, I'd love to snag him) seems to be the approach.
Bingo.

If they do get one it'll be cheap or in the draft

Outside of turnovers, poor run defense is probably BB’s #1 pet peeve. He went crazy to try to address it after 2002 to great success. He’s clearly going crazy this year too, hopefully it’ll work out.
Too bad Ted Washington ain't available this time around

Didn’t get a chance to watch him last year. How did he look? He was certainly an interesting prospect.
I thought he did pretty well. Hes not a rock star but very servicable.

Like others have said the pass rush is coming from the LBs.

Its a special DT who can beat their blocker 1:1...and those that do are not cheap.

We may be looking for more of a NT who is a little bit versatile than a guy in the true NT mode.
A huge run stopper who can do little more than clog the run game is less and less useful as the game moves more abs more to passing and the teams that run a lot use shifty qbs on a lot of runs.
It may make sense to sacrifice a little if the clogging skill for some mobility

I thought he did pretty well. Hes not a rock star but very servicable.

Like others have said the pass rush is coming from the LBs.

Its a special DT who can beat their blocker 1:1...and those that do are not cheap.

If they can keep the blockers occupied then okay but it’s an underwhelming unit even if improved on last year.

I actually love this move, not because of the player but because of the philosophy.
For the last 2 years we bright in guys (pennell and Allen) that were supposed to be run stopper DTs and when they never made it out of camp we have everyone playing one spot bigger than they should.

Now we have GOD, Anderson, Cowart, Adams, Davis, Spence, Thurman so whoever flames out in the next 5 1/2 months doesn’t hurt us as much.
We may bring in even more at these prices if we don’t have to guarantee much.
Let them SUMO it out.

Last edited:
Love the signing. Dont care if he can play.
I just love the name. Montravius.
Red Sox have Darwinzon. Maybe 2
coolest names in sports.

If they can keep the blockers occupied then okay but it’s an underwhelming unit even if improved on last year.
It's already better and deeper than last year.

Davon Godchaux
Cowart
Henry Anderson
Deatrich Wise Jr.
Carl Davis
Montravius Adams
Berry
Thurman
Spence

They might keep 6 DL this year.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore