PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player Signing Patriots Sign DT Adams

Godchaux is the closest thing to one they have. Not a true wide-body, but darn close.

His strength and ability to anchor is absurdly impressive, though. He'll be run-stopper #1.

I agree that they don't seem to be seeking a pure NT like Wilfork or Washington anymore. The rationale is probably that they're too antiquated and purely 1-down (or 0-down) players against most teams these days.

Loading up with one Wilfork-lite, and several guys in the mold of Anderson/Adams/Davis (and maybe Hicks, I'd love to snag him) seems to be the approach.

The other reason could be that there are more 330+ bodies in this Draft/UDFA than in entire NFL and id be surprised if one of them is not brought in at least for June tryout.

Yea the 3rd down rusher is really what they don't have right now but they have the personnel to do everything else.
Do you see Butler getting much love anywhere else as a free agent? Additionally, just like last year expect a lot of tweeners as DLs in third and long situations. HT, KVN, and Judon with Duggar, Phillips, and Chung as your "LBs" for example with maybe one wide body. It's the third and medium where not having traditional rush DTs hurts - the 3d and 7s and 8s.

Love the signing. Dont care if he can play.
I just love the name. Montravius.
Red Sox have Darwinzon. Maybe 2
coolest names in sports.
I like the first names last. Henry Hunter and Harry N'Keal are my favs.

KVN: actually able to tackle on inside and outside
Judon: solid edge setter, not just a pass rusher

This isn’t a huge surprise. Outside of turnovers, poor run defense is probably BB’s #1 pet peeve. He went crazy to try to address it after 2002 to great success. He’s clearly going crazy this year too, hopefully it’ll work out.
Anyone think this makes Wino bait? If not, how limited are his snaps going to be this year?

Do you see Butler getting much love anywhere else as a free agent? Additionally, just like last year expect a lot of tweeners as DLs in third and long situations. HT, KVN, and Judon with Duggar, Phillips, and Chung as your "LBs" for example with maybe one wide body. It's the third and medium where not having traditional rush DTs hurts - the 3d and 7s and 8s.
Butler got 2y/9.5m from MIA. I don't know what his 1st year money is.

Wise received 4y/$22m w/ $10m in guarantees but there’s a $2.5 million dollar out after the second season which would turn it into a two-year, $12 million contract.

Wise is better vs the run and it seems BB put a premium on that.

They are paying him to do that. Can he is a larger question.
He’s done a good job rushing the passer since he’s been here.
I expect we will see Judon inside on 3rd and long also like we have done with Jones and Flowers.

Butler got 2y/9.5m from MIA. I don't know what his 1st year money is.

Wise received 4y/$22m w/ $10m in guarantees but there’s a $2.5 million dollar out after the second season which would turn it into a two-year, $12 million contract.

Wise is better vs the run and it seems BB put a premium on that.
They are different players. Wise isn’t going to be an early down DT and butler never should have been. Both suck against the run as DTs but Wise does a good job at DE.
Pass rush wise both have been inconsistent.
here are career numbers.

Butler. 1806 snaps 22 QB hits 15 sacks
Wise. 1769 snaps 56 qb hits 14 sacks

Godchaux is the closest thing to one they have. Not a true wide-body, but darn close.

His strength and ability to anchor is absurdly impressive, though. He'll be run-stopper #1.

I agree that they don't seem to be seeking a pure NT like Wilfork or Washington anymore. The rationale is probably that they're too antiquated and purely 1-down (or 0-down) players against most teams these days.

Loading up with one Wilfork-lite, and several guys in the mold of Anderson/Adams/Davis (and maybe Hicks, I'd love to snag him) seems to be the approach.

Wilfork- very lite. Imo.

Anyone think this makes Wino bait? If not, how limited are his snaps going to be this year?
Winovich has a role.

In the base D we will play 5 DBs 2 DTs and some combination of 4 DE/LBs with different groupings and some being moved around.
Hightower, KVN, Judon will be the main 3 leaving winovich, uche, Jennings, wise, Bentley to be the 4th. Assuming the big 3 play about 80-85% of the snaps that leaves about a spot and a half per snap for those guys to fill.

On passing downs I am guessing Wise and Judon are inside and 3 of hightower, winovich, uche, kvn, Jennings playing the “lb” spots in the amoeba with 6 dbs.

Winovich probably sees most of his reps as a pass rusher.

Coach is in to creating competition. He's done it now. Camp is going to a whole lotta fun.

I'm not convinced they actually want one.
I've been making this point for a while now. Especially concerning our group.

It's a different position from years past even if body type is similar. If you can't move, move laterally you're not playing more than 20-35 snaps per game. Teams just aren't running north/south today. Factor in you can get good enough from guys 10-20lbs lighter.

I look around the league and I'm not seeing these space eaters. I'm seeing guys 310-320 that can do multiple things. Line up in different tech, give you a little more pass rush and still be able to handle doubles and 2 gap.

Coach is in to creating competition. He's done it now. Camp is going to a whole lotta fun.
Unfortunately there is basically no hitting in camp. Makes it really hard to judge OL and DL and we are going to have brutal competition for depth spots on both sides.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back