PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Patriots Sign Demaryius Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should be hoping that we pay Thomas $6M. That would mean excellent production. It would also mean a 2021 compensatory draft choice.

Having zero chemistry with TB (no practice and possibly missing early seasons games) not an issue as long as he knows his responsibilities and is where he should be. Having experience in similar play-calling offenses will help.

With a veteran I think a lot of what people call "working on chemistry" can be done in the video room as well. DT knows how to run routes and read coverages. A lot of "getting on the same page" can be done with film. Now obviously the real thing is considerably better but it will not be as if he starts at 0. He should be farther along than Gordon ever was last season.

I went back to watch his games in Houston. Turns out his demise is greatly exaggerated. In fact, I'll go on record: he's going to have the best season of any free agent WR the Patriots have signed this decade.

I think one thing people is forgetting about Thomas is about his yac ability he like Edelman can take a short pass far. I think if healthy Thomas will be very good here and rejuvenate his career he's far from done and has been very consistent. That said a healthy Thomas - Edelman and Gordon is a heck of a three headed monster at WR. Brady is sleeping better theses days thinking about the healthy possibilities in the minus Gronk era.

With a veteran I think a lot of what people call "working on chemistry" can be done in the video room as well. DT knows how to run routes and read coverages. A lot of "getting on the same page" can be done with film. Now obviously the real thing is considerably better but it will not be as if he starts at 0. He should be farther along than Gordon ever was last season.

Agreed...my point ...knowing the offense and route trees.

i’ve never been a big fan of Thomas, even 4-6 years ago. He has put up respectable numbers over the years, but I always thought he played with a lack of toughness - doesn’t fight for balls, is timid running slants over the middle, seems to get intimidated by DBs, etc.

it would be awesome if it works out here, and hopefully he won’t be another Eric Decker.

i’ve never been a big fan of Thomas, even 4-6 years ago. He has put up respectable numbers over the years, but I always thought he played with a lack of toughness - doesn’t fight for balls, is timid running slants over the middle, seems to get intimidated by DBs, etc.

it would be awesome if it works out here, and hopefully he won’t be another Eric Decker.

If you don't have time to go back and watch full games, here are just a few highlights of his snaps only in Houston. I don't really see a soft player. Contested catches, stiff arm, some YAC; he looks like a player who will thrive in this system. The only question is his recovery trajectory.

If you don't have time to go back and watch full games, here are just a few highlights of his snaps only in Houston. I don't really see a soft player. Contested catches, stiff arm, some YAC; he looks like a player who will thrive in this system. The only question is his recovery trajectory.

Always seem to fold whenever we got physical with him. Regardless, if he's healthy he can be very productive with us.

My sentiments exactly and he was a pup in that Houston's Offense just getting comfortable before the injury.

I agree...the guy is no slouch...achilles is the key. For comparison...1st 9 years (similar size WR)....

Larry Fitzgerald - 764 rec / 10,413 yds
Demaryius Thomas - 688 rec / 9,330 yds

The knock on Thomas is similar to the knock on Moss, which is that continued physicality against him can take him off his game. There's truth in that, IMO, though I think people confuse one bump on the line with play after play of aggressive press style coverage. I think that there's also truth to the theory that he's been more inclined to get shy since he took that big shot a few years back though, again, I think it gets overplayed.

A lot of the catches he made in that video the DB's played off him so he just stopped his route and caught the ball. That's great but I'm just wondering why the DB's played him like that.

John Stallworth? Lynn Swann? Donte Stallworth?Sure, get 'em all in to camp. Hell, while we are at it, let's get Stanley Morgan and Irving Fryar. They gotta have a couple snaps in 'em.
Whoops, got my ancient Steelers mixed up...

The Kam Chancellor hit in the Superbowl? I felt that through the TV.

The knock on Thomas is similar to the knock on Moss, which is that continued physicality against him can take him off his game. There's truth in that, IMO, though I think people confuse one bump on the line with play after play of aggressive press style coverage. I think that there's also truth to the theory that he's been more inclined to get shy since he took that big shot a few years back though, again, I think it gets overplayed.

He just foolishly doled out AT LEAST $300K to this broken-down Donkey, so I don't see where Bill learned his lesson here, unfortunately.

P.S.: This guy won't actually get paid if/when he starts the season on the PUP, will he?
I like the signing, but who else was really out there they could’ve signed?

I think this is a better value than Tate. Humphries on the other hand, if anyone watches enough football, you’d have a pretty good idea of who everyone is. But I’ve never heard of this guy. I can’t say it’s an over pay yet, but with Mariota throwing him the ball, it will sure look like it.

I wouldn’t look at this signing as them thinking they’re good to go now.

Always seem to fold whenever we got physical with him. Regardless, if he's healthy he can be very productive with us.
He did this in other big games as well. Like Brandon Cooks, when there’s good coverage on him, he finds a way to drop the ball in critical moments.

I do like the signing though.

I like the signing, but who else was really out there they could’ve signed?

I think this is a better value than Tate. Humphries on the other hand, if anyone watches enough football, you’d have a pretty good idea of who everyone is. But I’ve never heard of this guy. I can’t say it’s an over pay yet, but with Mariota throwing him the ball, it will sure look like it.

I wouldn’t look at this signing as them thinking they’re good to go now.

For humphries, of course it’s an overpay. And this is not meant to be a knock on him, I feel he’s a good slot wr just now coming into his prime. But with the titans track record when it comes to yards through the air, they’re gonna have to pony up the dough to bring talented WRs in thru FA.

We just signed a #2/3 receiver for somewhere between 3-6m per year....

A guy who is only 30 despite being called “washed up” despite being a top 5 receiver in league as recently as 2017. I made up top 5 but he had close to 1000 I believe.

Look at the money getting thrown around this offseason - this is a pretty good chance to take for the Pats.

A receiving core of Edelman/Dorsett/Thomas/Gordon is actually pretty solid - assuming Gordon can play.

He did this in other big games as well. Like Brandon Cooks, when there’s good coverage on him, he finds a way to drop the ball in critical moments.

I do like the signing though.
Which critical moments did Brandin Cooks drop the ball since he was in the league?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots